PDA

View Full Version : odd catch in Wyoming

Greybeard
07-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Went to small town in Wyoming to do some maintenance on a cabin for a week. Fished only two times in the little river close by. Close to sunset and in a cloud of mosquitoes I cast my gold/Black spoteed yellow P-martin upstream with a steady retrieve and wham! I hooked a nice 13" rainbow... the odd thing was it had about 3-4 inches of another fishtail hanging out of its mouth. It was already in a state of decay so I didn't identify it in my haste to release it so as not to interrupt its meal. Well I wish I was smarter and had looked at it more closely because I thought later that it may have been stuck in there maybe starving the Rainbow because it struck my lure so hard.
Anybody had anything like this happen with trout before?
Anyway it was fun fishing and working on such a quick trip.
GB

ddmclw
07-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Ya,
I have caught a couple of trout with smaller fish in its mouth. one was still alive and the other was decaying. the one that was still alive i took it out of its mouth and used it as bait. didnt catch nothing on it so i let it go. the second one i left in. they will eventually break down enough so the fish can eat it i think. im not no expert.

fulltroutjones
07-11-2006, 09:12 PM
* Icaught a trout at del valle trolling and as soon as i got the hit,the fish immediately came to the surface as if i was retreiving a dead fish.that had never happened before, so *i brought the fish in ,it had a small shad? or minnow? that seemed to be stuck in the same manner.I thought it was a lesson for me to use a bigger silver shad or minnow rapala because obviously these trout will go after bigger lures.that or maybe he was kobayashi,just stuffin his gullet.either way i dont think the fish stuck in his mouth was helping him in any manner.

drstressor
07-11-2006, 09:23 PM
I've kept trout in the lab for many years and watched them eat each other on occasion. They can swim around just fine with a fish almost half their size sticking out of their mouths. The digest the head section first and then gradually swallow the rest of the fish over a period of about 12 hr. I'll post a picture tomorrow if I can find one.

I've caught many cutthroat and at least one mac with tails hanging out of their mouths. They hit lures despite the big meal.

fulltroutjones
07-12-2006, 12:12 PM
ah so he was just like kobayashi..thanks Dr..gotta love them trout!!

lookingforfish
07-12-2006, 01:37 PM
I was fishing the snake river in Idaho with a Mepps and hooked into my biggest brown to this day. It went 10lbs. In its mouth was a smaller rainbow trout about 6-8 inches. Big trout are carnivores and will feed on anything that gives them the chance.

Greybeard
07-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks Doc and all, I am glad that fish will live so I can have a go at em again next year.
Adios,
GB

Mr_Ed
07-12-2006, 07:05 PM
I have caught three fish at Pyramid lake Nev. that have had fish
tails sticking out of their mouths.

All were over 18" in length.

The tails were about 3" wide.

Hard to beleive that they have enough room to grab a treb. hook
on a spoon !!

All three were released, to enjoy their meal. ;)

Ed