PDA

View Full Version : Trolling!!!!!

brownblazin
07-09-2006, 02:04 AM
Hello everyone. Hope everyones 4th of july weekend was fun, but safe. :) Now, here is my problem :(. I have never trolled for trout before, but want to start [smiley=fishing1.gif]. I have no clue where to begin. Will anyone give me some advice on how to [smiley=help.gif]. Just the basics would be fine, unless you want to go deeper into it. I do have some trolling gear but not much. For now I will just have to manage the best I can with what I have. Currently I have some Ford Fenders(model A) and some Dave Davis flashers. How do I use these? What kind of techniques should I use with these? I do have a different variety of needlefish. Are they any good for trout? Also a variety of lures(panther martins, mepps, rooster tails, kastmasters and other spinners). Do you think those lure types would produce fish if trolled with or would I be wasting time. Thank you for taking the time to read this [smiley=thumbsup.gif]. Hopefully someone can help out a newcomer to trolling. I am looking forward to hearing from you. Once again thanks.

troutfan
07-09-2006, 02:10 AM
The best thing I could suggest is to get familiar with the search function, there is a ton of information in the archives. All of that tackle you mentioned is very effective on different lakes at different times. Welcome to the board! :)

brownblazin
07-09-2006, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the reply Troutfan. I'll do that.

stagger_lee
07-09-2006, 02:56 AM
Top of the mornin' :) If you are going to start out using the Dave Davis and Ford Fender blades, give them a try by trailing a threaded nightcrawler anywhere between 12 and 30 inches behind the blades. Like Troutfan said earlier,what you have available will work,its just a matter of trial by error :-? Different speeds,lakes,water temp,etc. One thing about it , You'll have a good time experimenting :) ENJOY ;)

Trout_Chaser
07-09-2006, 05:05 AM
The threaded crawler behind the flashers is a age old favorite. Trolling speed for flashers should be about 1.5 mph. Making sweeping "s" turns and the occasional sharp turn will cause the speed up, slow down effect. You can always put lead core plus flahers to get deeper when the temps are warm.

Of course, down riggers will eliminate the need for heavy line. $$$ ;D

Trout Chaser

fulltroutjones
07-09-2006, 07:10 AM
i would suggest for the bay area lakes using rapalas..

fish_4_alivin
07-09-2006, 08:59 AM
The best time to learn trolling is in the fall and winter because the trout are not 40 ft deep. You can still go to a few lakes in the sierras and find them on the top but around the bay area the are deep already. You need lead core, down riggers, pink ladies. Something to get you down. My best suggestion to you is go back in the archives and pick a lake that you want to fish. Read every post from that lake and you should be dialed in. The sniffers on these boards post great info, depth, color, lure type, temp and other valuable info. Well good luck and hope you rope em.

skunk-monkey
07-09-2006, 09:06 AM
I was in your spot about five years ago and even though I'm still learning and always will be, here's some of what I have picked up so far. Hopefully it helps a little.

If you can get a downrigger, I'd highly recommend it. Especially for summertime fishing in valley and foothill lakes. Yes, they can be pricey, but you can also get a basic "starter" for under $100. I used one made by Scotty for a few years and it worked fine for my needs at the time. Most fish are going to be holding in water that's 52-58 degrees, and during the summer, that's gonna likely be down 50 or 60 feet or more.

That said, I've found you can catch trout/salmon near the surface year round. One of the nicest salmon I've gotten out of Folsom was caught toplining a small dodger and threaded worm in front of the dam on a warm late summer day last year. So they will occasionally make a foray to the surface, even if it's warmer than they prefer. If you're using flashers, you are going to need some weight to get them beneath the surface, but it doesn't take a lot--a split shot or two. You probably don't want a lot of weight--it's really not going to take you that much deeper and the more weight you have, the less fun the fight is going to be.

If you're going to topline, time of day matters. You'll have better success near the top if you're going out at first light. The fish are more active and maybe a little more willing to scoot up towards the surface to check things out. Rapalas work really well top-lined, but so will the tackle you already have. Like Stagger Lee says, experiment with different combinations til you find one that works. Look into theories on lure colors, too. Some work better than others, depending on the circumstance.

Whatever you use...make sure you put enough line out the back: I started having much better success trolling in general when I started putting out at least 80 feet of line behind the boat, and usually more than 100. The theory is, the boat shadow and engine noise spook fish. Putting enough line behind you allows them to scatter when they hear/see you coming, then converge again after the "threat" seems to have passed. Plus, look into scents or at least tip a lure with a worm.

And lastly, in late fall, winter and early spring, having a downrigger isn't as essential. The water is cooler, fish are near the surface, and toplining works just fine.

Experiment, keep mental notes of what's working and what isn't, and have fun. Also, go to a tackle store and pick up a book or two--there are some good ones out there that will really spell things out for you. Good luck!!

iron-man
07-09-2006, 10:22 AM
I see that you are from Manteca. That is actually very good. You are close to fishermans warehouse and you are close to the mountains. First what everyone has been telling you is good info. So I will try to add my own 2 cents. I fish Melones starting in late oct early nov. Fish there till april-may when I switch to Mc Clure. I have trouble consistantly catching trout at Melones at that time.About this time the kokanee bite takes off and I don't wish to fish for them. The switch to Mc Clure is to fish for coho salmon and trout. My experience tells me the bite at Mc Clure stops about mid june-first of july.My last two trips there have been skunks.Of course there is a lot of boat traffic even during the week by pleasure boaters so that doesn't help.I have been there when they start as early as 7:30 A M.At this time of the year the higher mountain lakes are better. LIke Alpine or Spicer. Since the weather is cooler up there you don' have to fish quite so deep.You will like Spicer , it'a really pretty lake . I normally fish Bridgeport this time of the year till the start of salmon season on the Sac. But back to fishing for trout. Buy a worm threader. Thread it on a Kahles kook about 24" behind your flasher( as you can see there are many types and styles). How deep is another story. THe warmer the water the deeper the fish are. With most methods one is only guessing how deep you are. Even using leaded line for depth is a crapshoot as your speed will often dictate how deep you are and going with or against the wind will effect that also.But this is probably the cheapest way to try to get to a certain depth if you don't own downriggers.However even with leaded line there is a limit of how deep that you can go. Even the kind of flasher will affect depth. Like some one before said do alot of turns as that will affect the speed of the lure and the depth. ONe side speeds up and rises the other side slows down and drops deeper.Depth finders are nice if they show the thermalcline. Seeing fish is good but not fool proof. Don't be discouraged if you are not catching a lot of fish while you are learning, or get to cocky if you are really successful because fishing has a way of humbling even the best fisherman. You can be doing all the things right and still not do very good and sometimes every thing goes right. The fun is in the learning. Goooood luck iron-man

brownblazin
07-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks to everyone for the tips. They are greatly appreciated [smiley=worthy.gif] I'm going to make my first attempt at trolling tomarrow. Heading up to Cherry Lake [smiley=fishing5.gif] I will post a report when I get home.