PDA

View Full Version : New to Saltwater - Need rigging help!

SVF
08-22-2008, 06:37 AM
I'll be heading out with BEER ME this weekend to Lawson's Landing for some camping and fishing.

I'm new to saltwater fishing (and honestly, pretty new to fishing in general) and have no idea how to setup my pole to fish Halibut. *Can someone give me a few pointers?

Currently I've got a 7' Medium Action Shakespeare Contender Custom ($30, WalMart! Haha) rod with 20lb test. *How should I rig it up? *From the little research I've done, it sounds like squid hit pretty well. *How should I rig the whole setup tho? *I've got no idea...

Also, I've got a second, smaller pole, setup with 12lb test. *Was going to fish for perch and rockfish with that. *Can I get some help on how to rig that one up?

Thanks!
:D

Edit: We'll be doing both shore angling, and from a canoe.

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
08-22-2008, 06:55 AM
Boat, shore, or Pier fishing?

I would suggest using live anchovies, sardines, or jack smelt for bait...

typical live bait rig consist of a 3-way-swivel, 18in leader to your sinker on one end, 36in leader to your live bait hood (1/O to 2/O Live bait hook).

or a common surf rig for live bait:
egg sinker, swivel, leader line to a live bait hook or octopus hook (leader line length will be determined by the surf conditions...

SVF
08-22-2008, 07:33 AM
We'll be fishing from a conoe and from shore.

So you're suggesting something like this, right?

http://sacramentovalleyfishing.com/HalibutRig.jpg

(Sorry, I'm new, it takes pictures for me to understand things :p)

What type of sinkers should I pick up - weight wise? *4oz? or more? *I bought some 4/O Octopus hooks yesterday, guess I should go back and grab some 1/O and 2/O!

LIVAI
08-22-2008, 08:57 AM
I've been fishing the San Leandro Marina lately but it seems the bite has been better later in the evening on the high tide as that's the only time I've seen any types of bites..I think I want to check out Berkeley Marina for some halibut. Does anybody know how the bite has been lately?