PDA

View Full Version : Pine Flat Report-6/10

Viking
06-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Launched at Lombardos and started fishing about 7:30 am Sat. Couldn't troll around Deer Creek area. Too much debris pushed by wind to that side. Went to the dam area and hooked a double almost imediately. Got another shortly thereafter. Then, it was one here and one there, until I finished off with another double in the Trimmer area about 2:00pm. Overall, caught about 12 with two LDRs that shot up out of the water and threw the hooks. Kept a limit of nice really fat fish from 14"-17". If the fish keep gorging themselves on the shad, we could see some 4-5 lbders. by fall. The color du jour was green. Used watermelon Apexs, watermelon Needlefish, frog Wee tads. Depth was consistently around 15'. Long lined about 200' behind the riggers and varied speed bewtween 1.5-2.5 mph. Almost all fish were caught around the dam/main lake area. Only one line tangle this time and didn't lose anything.

Tried to raise other Sniffers on VHF, but no replies and didn't see any Stars out there.

Wanted to go up to Shaver this morning to chase Kokes with other Sniffers, but stayed up late and couldn't get my *ss up and in gear this morning. Look forward to reading their reports.

Viking

appleinorange
06-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Viking , good job. Those 4 and 5 pounders are there now. I hooked and lost three in two trips last week. Had my line broke all three times. Once right at the boat. So look for 6 or 7 poundres come fall.

Viking
06-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Hey applein orange,

Where and how deep did you hook the big ones? I lost a big one a couple of weeks ago on a Fri. in the dam area about 15' down that almost spooled me, but I never saw the fish ( tangled lines with my other rigger and lost it). It could have been one of those 4-5 lbders that you are talking about.

This trip the biggest was about 17". I know bigger fish are in there and have caught them, but the biggest that I have caught or heard of so far this year is in the 3 lb. range. Of course, fishing on the weekend and boat traffic is not condusive to catching the big ones.

Viking

JoeTech
06-11-2006, 04:06 PM
On thursday my buddy had a hard it right off the point from deer creek to the dam area, what have been one of his biggest fish saw it jump a couple of times and it looked big at least 3lbs, then bam took off with the rapala in its lip.

Joetech

zinger
06-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Yeah my dad caught a couple 3-4 lbers this winter, so I know those 5-6 lbers are in there. This fall should produce some big fish.

zinger

Ironhead
06-11-2006, 07:22 PM
There are some big fish in Pine Flat. It seems like the bite is real late this year and makes for some tough fishing with all the skiers to dodge. Maybe there has always been this kind of fishing up there, but without the sniffers you would not even hear about these fish. Be thankful everyone contributes for accurate info on a daily basis. I totally enjoy it, and it persuades my choices where to fish every weekend.

Ironhead

Viking
06-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Zinger,

Saw your post on Shaver yesterday. Glad to see you and your Grandfather getting some nice Kokes, while I was chasing Pine Flat rainbows.

Pine Flat will never be a trophy trout lake, but it is really nice to have a lake in our backyard (Fresno and surrounding area) that can put out trout in 4-6 lb. size range. The biggest rainbow that I have ever caught was a 6 lber at Lake Almanor. If I can catch a similar quality rainbow at Pine Flat, I would be hog heaven. Gives us something to look forward to. Actually, right now Pine Flat appears to be out fishing other area lakes for trout.

Look forward to meeting you at Pine Flat one of these days and see you catch the big one.

Viking

appleinorange
06-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Viking I have ben doing well just past the bouy line at Deer Creek, 15 ft.

first5
06-12-2006, 07:57 PM
regarding the bigger fish...if you check last year's postings from around August I think, you'll see that the largest numbers of big fish came in mid summer (!) Lots of numbers of smaller fish earlier in spring/late winter. But no size to speak of, consistently at least. Then, oddly (to me at least), catches of big fish started coming in mid summer. August sticks in my mind as when sniffers were really reporting consistent catches of bigger fish. Not sure if this was due to heavier water previous winter or what. may be similar this year. ????