PDA

View Full Version : Tomales Halibut Derby Results

yakfisher
08-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Men's Power Boat Division:

1. Ben Pollock, 18lb. 5 oz. 34 1/4 "

2. Ken Rickert, 12 lb. 32 "

3. Tim Ott, 11lb. 6oz. 31 3/4"

All other divisions were fishless. We had a total of 53 anglers, only one youth angler and two Women. Some caught limits and others had 0. Ben Pollock walked away with a new Shakespear halibut fishing rod and reel combo, Season parking pass to all Marin County Parks ($75 value), and a $25 gift certificate to Western Outdoors. Second place recieved a $25 gift certificate to Western Outdoors, and third was a $10 certificate.
We will be putting this on again next year, I will be shooting for the first weekend in August of 2009 so to miss the A-Zone Deer opening weekend.
I would like to thank Joe and Tom from Western Outdoors for their continued support to our Department and fishing events, and I look forward to next year and bringing in more prizes and making it a real nice event to be a part of and attend. Thanks to all who attended,

Ranger Jim

jaf333
08-10-2008, 01:02 PM
doesnt look that wide open, must have stopped biting due to all the boat traffic!! I fished every day but 1 since the last post of fish being "wide open" "all anglers with limits" for one 6 lber.... its still early but the tomales bay butt run is looking very similar to the last 2 or 3 yrs... didnt see any limits at the derby either, hmmmmmmmm
was fun though!!! Thanks for putting on, c u next year!!

Uncle_Sam
08-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Ranger Jim:

Were you the guy with the RV and the boat next to it parked in the "No Parking" zone? Citizen's arrest! Citizen's arrest!

Ranger_Jim
08-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Yep, that was me. Of course I didn't want to take up a spot for my fellow anglers so that spot seemed the best for the official "Derby Headquarters". Thanks to all who attended again. Tim Ott and his fishing partner, the third place finisher, both had limits and I believe another boat or two did also. What makes a bite wide open ? I'm not sure but when some are getting limits and I see carcasses in the dumpster and in the water on the ramp to me that means a good bite is on. I give up to date reports to help out my fellow anglers, if fish are there I'll let you know, and vise a versa. I profit nil for you guys coming out, I'm only one launching spot out of four that I know of, so ?

Tight lines and windless drifts to you all,

Ranger Jim

Landship
08-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Thank You Ranger Jim, It was a great bonus to be in a derby, And Thank's to Western Sport Shop for sponsoring it, I'll be there next year

Dday
08-14-2008, 10:39 AM
WOW!!! Sounds like a fun day!!!!

jdecker
08-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Where did they catch them? I fished all around Hog Island but struck out.

yakfisher
08-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Kicker, the fish were caught from South of Hog all the way down to Marshal on both sides of the bay. As far as I know none of the fish were from the sand bar area. One angler came in with another 18lber but they said they caught it outside of the bay North of Dillon Beach so it didn't count for the derby. By the way, does anybody remember what the water temps were that day inside the bay ? The bouy offshore showed 51-52 deg. F that day and was just wondering what the inside bay temps were. Tight lines to all,

Yakfisher

jdecker
08-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Yak,
54 at Hog on that day, thanks for the info