PDA

View Full Version : Los Vaqueros Banker Report 6/2

Ikan_Mas
06-02-2006, 03:24 PM
It was a very fast day at the Cowboys. I was in position by 9:00 a.m. and limited out by 9:50 a.m. One after another, sometimes one on each line. A mixture of stocker and holdovers all around 12". Worms 4-5' off the bottom with a anise marshmellow were the ticket. Saw lots of bait fish and most of the fish had several small shad/minnows in them, but panther martins and Kastmasters yielded nothing. Guess the pickens are so easy, they don't bother chasing after a lure. Had several follow ups on a small crawdad Rapala, but nothing that would stick.

Given the amount of forage fish in the lake, we are going to have some hawg trout and kings later on this year. I caught a couple 20"+, 3#+ kings a coulple of weeks ago. Can't wait to see how big they get by this fall.

Tight lines. ;D

dirty3hirties
06-02-2006, 03:38 PM
:o Ohhhh.....NICE! I was debating where I should go this weekend. I've never been to Los Vaqueros but I'm definitely thinking about it now.

Darn...I just checked the Norcal site.....no personal craft allowed. I really wanted to take my pontoon there. Oh well.....

Thanks for the report.

Doubleheader
06-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Hey was that you in tan hat and clothes about 50 feet down from the rockwall on the dam side? If so, my friend and I trolled by you mid morning. As we swung around the opposite side he got a 3.5# salmon on a jointed firetiger shad rap. We also got 3 bows apiece, all 10 inch or so stockers. I did not hear great reports from the other end of the lake from a bankie.

Ikan_Mas
06-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Yes, that was me on the dam side of the lake. Lots o snakes in that area. That and the walk keep the traffic down and my daily catch up. You were the only boat on the lake that I saw. Nice having things to yourself. :D

Nice to hear that you caught a King as well. The Kings I caught three weeks ago had shrimp in their bellies, about the size of cocktail shrimp. I talked with some fish biologists and they pointed out that there are several varieties of shrimp in the delta and they get pumped into LV. Salmon, being natural shrimp eaters, gobble them up. I've been looking for shrimp lures ever since.