PDA

View Full Version : rod question

HUMM_DINGER
05-25-2006, 12:32 AM
Hello to all you sniffers I just want to start out by saying that I read your all reports all the time and find them to be most helpful. *So back to business I am in the market for some downrigger rods for Trout/ Kokanee mainly in Folsom lake and some others, and I was wondering if you guys had any advice on what to get I am looking to stay in the 40-60 dollar range any help would be much appreciated

TS5655
05-25-2006, 02:10 AM
Humm Dinger,

I would suggest you get one of Vance's rods. A lot of people on here use them and really like the way they handle. http://www.vancestackle.com/

Also I am sure the moderator will move your thread to a different board.

troutfan
05-25-2006, 02:54 AM
Any tackle from the rod butt to the end of the line, if it's for trout can be posted here. *Slight change in policy.

Mark_Damron
05-25-2006, 04:45 AM
Welcome to the boards!! In the price range your looking, the Shakepeare Agility in your best choice. FW in Rocklin has them. $39.00. These are the replacement of the Catera that Shakepeare put out for a few years. I've been using them for years with NO PROBLEMS at all. I don't use Vances but a lot of sniffers do but I think you'll have a hard time finding Vance's in the price range your looking for. PHM

SuperDave
05-25-2006, 06:17 AM
I have been fishing with the Pflueger 7' UL Trion for the past few years and really like the rods. The Agility is a brand new rod this year and hopefully has the flaws of the Catera worked out of them. The Pluegers run about $50.

zinger
05-25-2006, 06:24 AM
I've used Vance's rods before and loved them, so I ordered two of my own on Saturday. Both Vance's website (www.vancestackle.com) and Steve's website (www.stevesfishingsupplies.com) have them for $59.99.

zinger

GoneCountry
05-25-2006, 07:28 AM
This is a very good topic as this is the first year in my 50 I have owned a quality pole to even know what people talk about when they talk about there pole.....My son bought me a couple of Ugly Sticks one medium action and one light Action.....Now I have used both for trolling and LOVE them wondered how I fished any other way..Heres the thing..When fishing for trout I noticed you need 2 poles because you cant get the same trolling action out of one pole. If you just have a small grub or luhr you need the light pole so you can feel it working same goes for the medium pole,,its for big setups dave davis and flashers and the like. Your hauling the bathroom sink and you need somethin strong enough.....yet still feel the action of those flashers. 2 poles...unless your downriggin and thats an area I still have yet to venture in..................I need lessons as someday I will be gettin that rig together

HUMM_DINGER
05-25-2006, 02:43 PM
thanks for all your guys inputs on my rod question the info was much appreciated ;D

ndiezel
05-25-2006, 03:01 PM
For your $$$ ($30-60), Ugly's never disappoint. The money you would end up spending on a GLoomis ($200-300) would be better off put into your boat/tackle box.

natureboy
05-25-2006, 06:18 PM
SEEKER RODS WORK GREAT