PDA

View Full Version : Blustery Bucks Lake 5/21

Big_D
05-21-2006, 03:05 PM
After weeks of looking forward to our trip to Bucks Lake, Mother Nature decided to rain on our parade! The weather front made for some tough fishing conditions and a pretty slow bite.
Arrived Friday afternoon and had the boat in the water and was fishing by 3:30. Fished untill the rain drove us off the lake about 7:00. Friday afternoon I landed one 3lb Brown Trout on a Rainbow pattern F13 Rapala and that was it.
Saturday we slept in a little *and were on the water by about 7AM. Weather was not to bad with a little wind and some sun every now and then. Fished all morning with not a single bite. Took a break about noon for some lunch and nap ::) and went back at it about 3:00. We finally got into a decent Mack bite about 6:30 and landed 4 Macks in about and hour and a half. We hooked all the fish at 45'-47' OTW at about 1.8mph. 2 fish bit on an F13 Chartruese/Silver Flatfish smeared with Crawfish butter. The other 2 fish hit a Rainbow Trout pattern Bomber with Krill jell.

Sunday morning's fishing was aborted due to Wind, Rain, Hail, and Lightening :o

My son Jeremy took big fish honors for the weekend, his largest was just shy of 15lb's and was quite a battle on the light tackle we were using. We spent all of our time targeting the bigger fish with everything from J plugs to F 18 Rapala's.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/medium/fuji_pic_249.jpg
Jeremy's "Big Fish" of the day
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/medium/fuji_pic_247.jpg
Big D's biggest
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/medium/fuji_pic_243.jpg
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/medium/fuji_pic_241.jpg
Rod Bender and his crew

Even with the tough conditions we enjoyed our trip. Spent a lot of time with Rodbender and his crew, Earl, Ken and Ron. Thanks again for feeding us. I also had the opportunity to meet Chick fishing and Rugman. My son got to meet Fishing Buddy by backing my trailer into his truck :-[

Big D

AllFishNoWork
05-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Good lookin Macs! Sucks when it has been clear for weeks and the weekend you have plans Mother Nature decides to mess with you.

n2trout
05-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Nice fish Sorry it was slow. I will be there 6./2 and 6/3. Hoping for better weather at least. Too bad you met fishingbuddy in such and unfortunate circumstance. Was everybody able to make it out ok without repairs ?
Better luck next time and you do the driving.. ;)

trackertundra
05-21-2006, 04:37 PM
Dale, by the looks of the pictures, it looks like you caught some quality fish. We opted for amador today. See you on the water

Tracker

mattt
05-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Big D how much snow is still on the ground around the lake? I am going up thursday and have to build a deck up there and am hoping I dont have to dig any snow. Nice mack , where were you guys trolling when you hooked it?

Captain_Morgan
05-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Big D & Jeremy,
Sounds like it started alittle rough,but ended good. Except for the fender bender on a fellow sniffer. Oh well.. it happens. Could have been worse, atleast you didn't hit his boat.(right? ::)) Great pictures, Congrats Jeremy on the biggest baddest fish. ;)

Rod Bender
05-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Myself and my crew, Ken, aka, Munnster, my dad Earl and Ron ( his 3rd year with us) arrived at Bucks Lake lodge on Thursday about noon. Checked into our cabin and got the boat in the water at 2pm. We were like little kids and could hardly wait to get that first fish. This was our fourth *year fishing this weekend at Bucks and we hopping for off the charts catching like we have had in the past years. We had seven rods in the water, four on downriggers, two lead cores and one top line. I was up first, and it took about four hours to get the first fish in the box. It was a mac that hit a green coyote spoon at 40'. My dad was up next and but a brown in the box on a black/silver Rapala. Ron was third and put rainbow in the box on the green spoon at 39'. Ken was up next and caught two small kokes, he didn't want to count them, but that is the way it goes.

Friday we got on the water about 7am, and it was tough fishing until late evening when I landed a 4.5lbs mac on rainbow Rapala. Dad got one shortly after that. Big D and his son were getting into them as proof by the pics.

Saturday was a very long day for us. Three LDR on a rainbow Jplug at 45". The most frustrating thing was that the locator was full of fish and thwy wouldn't bite. We stopped fishing at 7pm, that is when Bigd started getting into them.

The weather was good on Thursday and it worse each day. It was sure nice to have a full cover and back drop curtain to hide from the strong winds and driving rain. We will be back next year same time same place. Did get to met Chickfishing, Fishingbuddy and Rugman. It is only going to get better fishing up there.

Rod Bender with first mac, with a 4" kokane in his mouth when he hit

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Bucks_Lake_5_18_06_004.jpg

Dad with his brown

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Bucks_Lake_5_18_06_007.jpg

Ron with his beautifull rainbow

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Bucks_Lake_5_18_06_017.jpg

Ken with his disapointting kokanee

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Bucks_Lake_5_18_06_015.jpg

fish locator full of fish

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Bucks_Lake_5_18_06_035.jpg

BigD and his son

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Bucks_Lake_5_18_06_034.jpg

Dad with a mac

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Bucks_Lake_5_18_06_022.jpg

Me with my biggest fish for the weekend

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Bucks_Lake_5_18_06_021.jpg

My crew getting dinner ready, boy can these guys cook

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Bucks_Lake_5_18_06_009.jpg

Bucks Lake cabins

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Bucks_Lake_5_18_06_025.jpg

Captain_Morgan
05-21-2006, 06:55 PM
hahaha.... I love the picture of Ken's Koke. ;D ;D (sorry man)That's a classic. It looks like it was a great buddy trip. When you guys fish for Mac's do you use a dodger or just a lure? I haven't tryed for macks yet. How does the meat taste compared to Rainbows?

kokaneemart.com
05-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Big D, Bender and the Boys,

That looks like you had a great time even if the fishing was off a little. Like everywhere, we are a month or so late but we will get our period of good fishing!! ;)

Steve, did you get that "Big Mac" on the leadcore? (thats for you MJK!)

Big D... outstanding 15 lb Mack. I've never caught one that big. What did you think of the fight...does it compare to a 15 lb koke? (?)

Glad you are all safe and had a good trip...Now back to the local scene and IVR!!

fishing_buddy
05-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Real slow fishing in my boat only two LDR, on rapalas :( Saw a ton of fish on the fishfinder, only fished on friday weather turned cold and a little rain. Met some sniffers Rod bender and crew, Big D and Jeremy( nice fish) I"ll be back soon ;) To Bucks lake [smiley=happy.gif] Only a bend license Plate ,I fixed it with a Hammer. No harm done. There are some Big Macks in there to lure me back ;)

krzyfshrmn
05-21-2006, 08:32 PM
The 26#er I caught last spring should still be swimming around in there somewhere ;)

n2trout
05-22-2006, 07:09 AM
* *The 26#er I caught last spring should still be swimming around in there somewhere ;)
Hey krzy you dont happen to have Mr. Big Mac's address? I will look him up when I am there in a few weeks. ;D

townsniffer
05-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks Dad for putting me on some fish, *Man, what didn’t we throw at em? The few that we got were well worth the time we put in though huh? * How’s that finger? * Hehehehe -someone had to bring it up!
(in case a big fish just doesn’t quite overshadow runnin’ trailers into stuff)

Thanks Rod Bender for including us on your trip AND even feeding us, you guys are a good time.
I’d be down for a next time for sure.

Thanks fishing_buddy for being so cool-headed. Still embarrassed though

HA HA! *Couldn’t afford the rapala’s and went with a rainbow trout pattern Bomber “Long A”
Well, they actually have a little different action than a rapala, I guess that sounds better.

I wonder what that glutten had in his gut?

“Whatever he wanted”
-Big_D

mjkielty
05-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Guys-
I should have been there to help you out. After seeing the photo of that fishfinder marking all those fish, the solution is obvious.....MORE LEADCORE! 9 COLORS and you would have been right on them. Sorry Rod Bender I could not resist. My saying for the day.....Fishing leadcore out of a new North River is like getting invited to the Playboy mansion and ending up in the hot tub with the only fat chick at the party! Top that kokaneemart.
Ken, nice koke brother! I figured something else out. Since I am currently without a net and you apparently don't need one, maybe you should fish with me? What do you think?

MJK

AllFishNoWork
05-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Excellent report and great pics Rod bender [smiley=clap.gif] Although the rainbow wasn't the biggest fish in the lot, it sure was gorgeous [smiley=gorgeous.gif] Looks like a good time was had by all.

CHICKFISHING58
05-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Hi guys,
It was great meeting all of you sorry we didn’t get a chance to fish but as you know Barry’s trolling motor died on us and he wanted to get it to the shop as soon as he could.
They said they will try and get to it done by the 7th I hope they do because he has a derby on the 10th.
Big D and Jeremy it was a pleasure meeting you guys by the way Big D tell your wife thank you for the coffee cake it was wonderful did she make that?
Rod and crew it was great meeting you guys sorry we didn’t make it down to the bar to have a drink but we had other plans. ::)
Great job on catching fish I wasn’t too impressed with the cabins at 90.00 a day when it came to take a shower we turned the water on and had to run it for 15 min till all the dirt ran out. I’m glad it wasn’t me launching a boat there it was pretty small dock area and the parking sucked. :(

SuperDave
05-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Last year my wife & I stayed at the cabins, correction, almost stayed at the cabins. They were characterized as "rustic". My wife thought, "dump" was a better description. We met Dewitt and his wife, whom runs the marina and a few cabins that were much better shape than Bucks Lodge cabins.

barryfish
05-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Sorry chick- Really gave it a try! Broke my friends heart when my boat got bashed in at pyramid..bent a prop shaft at an outing with my brother. and I FAKED a motor blow up with you so you could spend some time on my shoulder!
No, I really felt the bite was on.. :'(
D, the cheese cake was killer.
Brion, I'll hope to hook up with you again after a few more bucks in repairs, ..and rodbender, a hangover that morning would have prolonged my discovery of a lame motor, so all worked out well.
Hope to share some better stories in the future.
Nice meeting you all.
Barryfish

Rod Bender
05-24-2006, 03:00 AM
Barryfish, sorry your trip was cut short. Not to mention the 6 hour trip to get to Bucks. We took 89 home to Truckee, boy was that a mistake. Not only was it 34 miles longer the trip down 80 with all the ruts in the road and raining so hard at times I could only go 40mph. We will be back next year with hopes of even better fishing. Welcome to the boards. Hope your motor problems were not to bad.

SuperDave
05-24-2006, 06:41 AM
Rod Bender, pulling a boat, HWY 70 to Quincy is the only way. Plus, scenery of the Feather River Canyon is beautiful. If I'm not pulling a boat, I go through Oroville on the Oro/Quincy Hwy. A lot of curves but shorter.

CHICKFISHING58
05-24-2006, 10:18 AM
Sorry chick- Really gave it a try! I FAKED a motor blow up with *you so you could spend some time on my shoulder!
Barryfish
And what big shoulders you have ::)

To be honest I'm glad the motor broke it gave us more time to get to know each other I just hope the rest of the weekend wasn’t a fake ;D :D
Let’s see we started the weekend off at 4am with a dead battery then someone takes the wrong road and we get stuck in snow and we have to turn around and go back the way we came then once again someone takes a left instead of going straight and we end up in snow again.

A 3hr drive ended up to be a 6hr drive and then your motor breaks down after an hour on the water so no fishing then you get me drunk so I would shut up. :-X
The next day we get back to your place and the bugs eat me up a live not to mention the lizard I almost stepped on I'm not use to the country life and lets not forget the 2 ½ mile walk you take me on and I end up with blisters on the back of my heels and can barley walk because my feet hurt so bad then you take me to see the Da Vinci code and you fall a sleep. [smiley=sleepy.gif]

Barry it was the best weekend I had in a long time just think this weekend it’s my turn to take you fishing boy are you in trouble now see you Friday ::)

SuperDave
05-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Barry it was the best weekend I had in a long time just think this weekend it’s my turn to take you fishing boy are you in trouble now see you Friday ::)

Get a room! [smiley=jumpinggroup.gif] ;D

townsniffer
05-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Sorry chick- Really gave it a try! I FAKED a motor blow up with *you so you could spend some time on my shoulder!
Barryfish
[smiley=sleepy.gif]::)

No corrupting the message boards! ;D

barryfish
05-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Rodbender- Thank you- Gotta get back out on the lakes, so pay to play, right?
But I'm thinking no simple fixes anymore, since I am now dating Chickfishing!!!

Chickfishing: I ran out of gas at a dead end cove. How many times have you fallen for that line? (LOL!)

Mickey_Thomas
05-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Gee Barry and Chick, you guys have come a long way since Pyramid :D More power to you, and I hope Beth wasn't faking it ;) Or was that Barry faking it? Heck I lost track ;D ;D ;D

How many times have you fallen for that line? (LOL!)
My guess is that she fell for it everytime she heard it :D

CHICKFISHING58
05-24-2006, 08:47 PM
But I'm thinking no simple fixes anymore, since I am now dating Chickfishing!!!

Chickfishing: I ran out of gas at a dead end cove. How many times have you fallen for that line? (LOL!)
Barry,
The fun is only beginning [smiley=cheerleader.gif]

Gee Barry and Chick, you guys have come a long way since Pyramid More power to you, and I hope Beth wasn't faking it Or was that Barry faking it? Heck I lost track
Quote:
Hey Mickey,
We don't kiss and tell [smiley=naughty.gif]

Munnster
05-25-2006, 05:38 AM
Even though the Bucks Lake fishing was somewhat slow the time we had was awesome. The scenery, clarity of the water and wildlife cannot be matched. Fishing in Rod Benders new boat was top of the line. Hey MJK, I know the koke in the picture was small but we did have a net onboard - I may have the right lure for you the next time you go net trolling! I would have posted earlier but this week has been very busy plus I'm picking up my new NR boat today - can't wait! Let's get Rod Bender, Big D and anyone who wants to join in and have a fish day somewhere. Tight lines to all!!!