PDA

View Full Version : Tahoe Keys ???

trackertundra
05-22-2006, 08:39 PM
I am headed up to the Tahoe keys in two weeks and was curious as to the fishing in that area. I will be bringing my boat. I am hoping that some of my fellow sniffers can give me some advice as to some areas I can try my luck. Thank's in advance.

Tracker

SierraSkier
05-22-2006, 08:59 PM
funny...I caught a 2lb carp and a tiny small mouth out of the keys the other day. Ya just never know, give it a shot and write a report.

If it is your first time on Tahoe, consider a guide. If you search this board, you will find very detailed info on fishing Tahoe. The big lake takes a bit of commitment...the keys dont though, and there are nice fish in there.

fishdude76
05-23-2006, 07:26 AM
If you're staying in the keys and have water access think bass and panfish. There are tons of largemouth, crappie and bluegills in there. I've caught 15 crappie in 20 casts with a fly right off the dock. Blue gills will take any fly with a bead head and shiney. Largemouths are probably getting close to spawning in there. I've had success with topwater frogs, rats, craws, and poppers. Now is a good time for the Keys since the weeds will be down. There are chances of cruising rainbows and browns as well at this time of year. There are huge carp, catfish and chubs in there. When you drive through the keys just look over the side of your boat. You will see lots of fish swimming between the weeds and the sandy bottoms.

I've only trolled once on Tahoe and went straight out from the keys. No luck but there is a nice drop off there. I'm sure its fishy. Don't be afraid to fish the entrance to the keys either, there are quite a few bass out there and who knows what else could be lurking.

fishtales
05-23-2006, 08:14 AM
Trackertundra,

I'm dragging my boat up and staying at the Keys June 2-6. I've booked Mark Wiza on board for his "Tahoe Seminar" on the 3rd. Did the same thing last year in early June, catching Mac's near the shore in 20-40 feet of water. Most of our success was on dodger/minnow combo, also pulled large plugs. Good chance of Browns and Bows as well. I highly recommend Mark, very knollegable, funny, and willing to share info. (tahoetrout@charter.net)

You can buy Tahoe minnows at Longs, or trap them pretty easy. Send me a pm if you think I can help in any way.

FT

Fish_R_Us
05-24-2006, 11:48 AM
My boss had a house in the Keys that they would rent out during the winter. We brought the boat once during our stay. Once you go out the Keys Entrance, you can follow the underwater rock structure until it drops down vertically into deep blue water. I could'nt even see the bottom with a diving mask. We use to head right and troll right along those deep cliffs for shallow and medium level trout. Perhaps if you had downriggers one could get deep enough to hook a mackinaw.