PDA

View Full Version : Creek???

hunkfisher
05-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Alriht so a buddy of mine told me about this tiny creek in a town called ophir that has resident trout in it, brown rainbows and i gues salmon make it up the creek as well , i have seen this creek but i dont know the name of it so i can't check to see if there are any special regs or not i live about 15 mins away via I 80 or taylor road, and if anyone knows the name of the creek, runs through Ophir?? My guess ophir creek ;D, how do you fish it bait flys salmon eggs info is much appreciated i have a final on wednesday so i am looking for some fill in time on tuesday and monday. Thanks agian

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

lazylab
05-21-2006, 03:26 PM
my geuss through ohpir at that point would be auburn ravine , dry creek is up 49 a way's so the ravine would have to be it follows the pge plant an out from there?

mtnbay
05-21-2006, 04:10 PM
It is Auburn Ravine. Once was a pretty good fishery. But, between the damned dentist/sculptor that dumped mercury upstream and other issues the fishery has declined. Still some fair fishing to be had, but I definitely would avoid eating them. Also, the area around Auburn/Ophir can be fished year round due to the fact it is West of Hwy 49. Good luck finding access, almost the entire length of the creek is on private property, and you are not allowed to fish off the bridges. Great memories on this ravine growing up, I use to pull 20+ fish a day out of some of the holes. Used to innertube down with buddies in the early summer and fish as we went. A lunker would run 14 inches on this creek.

Tip: I am not usually one to share a secret spot, however few will try what I am about to tell you. Inner tube it friend. Put in on Lozanos Rd as it crosses the creek. Take out at bridge at Gold Hill Road. That is a run of about 5 to 6 miles. Still might be some good fishing on the harder to access areas. Some sections of the creek are hairy and you may want to take out with your tube and go around the more freaky whitewater. Plus there is a dam about 4 miles down. Best of luck amigo.

YakMotor
05-21-2006, 06:30 PM
I've found Google Earth is a GREAT way to "scout" water like this. *I did a quick check by telling GE to go to "Ophir, CA" *and it looks like the sat images in the area are fairly recent and the detail looks good. *They are a little hazy because of cloud cover, but still worth checking out.

Google Earth is a free program you download from the internet. *It allows you to access satellite images of the WHOLE WORLD! *Some of the images are older and lack sharpness and detail, but some of the recent ones have AMAZING detail ... AND you can look at 'em in 3D like you're flying overhead. *GE is WAY COOL, but to really appreciate it you need a fast net connection, like cable, DSL, Direcway, etc.

hunkfisher
05-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Wow thanks guys i am going to give it a try proabably try it tomorrow or wednesday as i forgot to finish a research paper thats due wednesday at 5, so i gotta get that done today, Yak the bridge off of lanzsons(???) road is wher my buddy goes right under it so ill try there but ill bring an inner tube as well yeah i heard about the spill wasn't planning on eatin any, C&R on a stream like that, i have GE too ill look it up thanks again.

Brad"Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]