PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating Folsom Flotsam Found (foto)

Empire
05-16-2006, 11:15 AM
I made a trip to Folsom this morning. I got up nice and early, 4:30AM to get there by 5:20 so I could be fishing by 5:40. It was not going to happen.

I drove to Browns Ravine, getting there at 5:25 and found the gate to be locked. I had driven past Folsom Point on my way in and saw the gate there was locked too. PG&E is doing pipeline improvements at night on Green Valley road, making the turn into Browns Ravine an orange cone challenge.

I parked outside the gate to wait for it to open. I used the time to prep the boat, then my gear. The gate was not opened until 5:50.

The 5MPH limit is still in effect, but that was not an issue for the bass boat that was ahead of me going out of the marina.

I found debris everywhere I went, some areas worse than others.

I targeted kings down deep, marking fish down to 60 feet, but only had 2 pops off the clip which might have been debris trips. I toplined a couple of times, and picked up a couple of dinks. Both were released after having been given my speech of "see me again when bigger."

If it is rainbows you are after try trolling along the debris lines. For some wind/wave reason the debris tends to make long floating mats. Troll on the surface along those and you will find fish.

I only fished until 8:00, then spoke with the marina staffers that were working at the ramp. They said the state is spending $500,000 on removing the debris by chipping it up. They also said the lake will be restricted to 5MPH for at least two more weeks.

The water was 73 degrees and as clear as I have ever seen Folsom, easily 15 feet of visibility.

Here is a pic of the BR ramp.

www.members.aol.com/alzempire841/051606brramp.jpg

A50
05-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Empire
Good report, I really wanted to hear that the fishing was improving, but I guess not yet. Perhaps soon.

kokaneemart.com
05-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Empire,

Interesting report. It looks like the good fishing we had in Feb. is a victim of all of the incoming water. Maybe in a few weeks it will be worth another try!

SuperDave
05-19-2006, 11:47 AM
With all the debris, a lot of it looking small, I wouldn't want to start my motor at the ramp. It doesn't take much to get impeller damage.

SideJump
05-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Empire,

Thanks for the report. Looks like we might have to burn some gas until it gets a bit better.

SideJump