PDA

View Full Version : Rockcod out of Half Moon Bay 7/25

ken_fishnfool
07-28-2008, 02:32 PM
A good friend of mine organized a rockcod trip for his church group on the "New Gravey" out of Half Moon Bay a couple of months ago and gave me the sad news "booked solid"! Until 4 days to go...He called up and asked are you in? I said YES!!!!! I have a MAJOR JONES for some salt! *;)
We went this last Sat. in spite of forecast for rather iffy winds and swell, and so-so reports of the recent bite. It really pays to go out when the Big Guy upstairs is on your side! :o
Out of 19 fisherpeople we ended up with about 15 limits of rockcod, 4 1/2-3/4 limits (poor people got seasick), 3 keeper lings (and a couple of shakers) and an Awesome 22 pound halibut.

The day started out with a short run in doable seas (3-5 feet) and not much for breeze. Capt'n Kelly put us on fish every single stop, but the fish were persnickity in the morning, not really on the feed. So it was pick one here, pick one there, until around lunchtime.
Then we had us some fun!!! Cap'n found us some willing schoolies and some bigger bottom fish so everyone experienced some bites!!
The lings came in then as well as some good Bolinas to 3 pounds, some Chinas, some browns and olives, and even a couple of Vermillions (4.5 and 7... Awww shucks, yep, it was me...), as well as some nice FAT Blues 1.5-2.5 pounds + the assorted others... We even had some little live squid come in on the shrimp flies. Biggest ling was a hitchicker pushing 9 pounds!
We picked from stop to stop and found a few EVERY stop...Captain Kelly and deckhand Daron (?) really KNOW THIER STUFF!!
We ended up outfishing even the live bait boats that headed further south. :D :o :P
The wind started coming back up around 1:30 ish (and the wind waves on top, the swell seemed to build a little too) so we started hopping back up spot to spot...1 here, 2 or 3 there...3 or 4 there...Then came another school of nice blues...AND the HALIBUT!!
It was a GREAT day considering that 1/3 of the boat were first timers and the bite was said to be pretty slow for the past few weeks, and the wind has been miserable...

Even the poor seasick people went home with fish!

I had a total blast with a 45 pound sack and the taste of salt and fish scales in my mustache!! ;D ;D ;D
Medium light bass tackle catching nice rockod rules!!! :D
We fished mostly 50-80 feet but hit 25-45 feet on the way back.
What a great boat and crew!! If you ever get the chance...This is the second year for me for shallow rockcod from the New Gravey and they are just flat out GOOD!! EVERY big fish landed IN THE BOAT!
(Even they said it was the best trip in the last few weeks...so arrange a trip with your fellow fisher people at church!) ;)

The inshore bite is finally getting good so head out folks and be safe! :) It's pretty good with plastics... ;) :) (Ask Daron what color ;) )
And pound the bottom unless you see some blues coming in. They were holding up a bit.

ENJOY!! I sure did! :)

żżż
07-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Nice report Ken. I'm planning on going out of HMB some time this season. Haven't heard of the New Gravy - I'll have to look them up. I've gone on the Queen of Hearts and the Ankeny Street. I'd like to try the Tigerfish (they've got a great reputation).

PM if you'd like to join me - it'd be great to meet another sniffer.

Thanks for the report also. Good to hear SOMEONE's been out filling their freezer with rockfish! That's a very respectable sack of fish - good job! Considering the noob's on the boat, y'all did pretty well. Some I'm sure did way better than limit.

There's something woefully inadequate in your report though.

WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS? :(

ken_fishnfool
07-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Sorry Mooch! I am one of those that believe if I don't bring a camera and scale I might do O.K.! (DOH!!!...DUH...WORD!!! ;) :D )
Captain Kelly did take a picture of my Vermillions...it might show up on USAfishing when dude gets back from Alaska...or Huck Finn site...

gamecook
07-29-2008, 04:27 PM
I can vouch for the Tigerfish -- good boat, nice people. Capt. Alan gets frustrated when he can't find the fish, so he looks extra hard...

Went out a few weeks ago; good bite, not great, but a lot of short lingcod around...

Sin_Coast
07-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Awesome report Ken. Thanks!

Feesh-On
07-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Be there Sunday Ken... too funny man (made reservations earlier this week). I either follow you around or we just think alike. ;D

Sounds like a great day. I cant wait to throw my plastics at em.

Feesh-On
08-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Fished with the crew of the Queen of Hearts Sunday morning. We could tell when we got there it was going to be washing machine conditions. It was. High and low swells at seasick intervals kept half the fisherman pinned to a seat while the other half of the boat fished a tough bite.

James the deckhand was a one man show out there and I really appreciated his services. Halfway through the day he knew everyones name on the boat. At one point he shoots a call of my name across the boat just to see how I was doing. Pretty cool.

The fishing was scartch. The captain did his best and with a open view of the wheelhouse and fish finder I could see he was putting us on clumps of fish....but lockjaw is lockjaw.

I put a novice fishing friend on to my best gear, best lure selection and best advice (I need more fishing buddies).... but he totally surprised me when he not only out fished me but tagged three of the nicest fish that boat saw all day... and he did it with 5" MC swimbaits on a 7' Compre rod. Now thats fishin! 9Lb Cab and a 4# Olive and also a pretty decent sized red. He didnt take the jackpot due to a phantom 15# lingcod caught on a shrimp fly, but he sure did earn respect out there with his catches when all else was spotty fishing at best. My years of fishing experience landed me 1 bite all day. ;D Atta boy Adam!!! :-/ ;) - I was throwing similiar swimbaits and some 9-10" models...looking for big momma. Nothing happened.

I'll post a pic or two later.....

Overall we did have fun, but it was tough conditions and tough fishing - you know.... the times that make up for all the wide open days you've had.. :D

ken_fishnfool
08-04-2008, 11:12 AM
I saw the weather report when I got home from the lake Sat and said "OUCH!" I feel for ya dude!
That was mighty kind to give up the stuff (and fish) to your buddy!!! ::)
That should have been you!!! :-? ;)

Feesh-On
08-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Ken - he had the jackpot lined up most of the day then a couple 7.5-8# Cabs hit the deck. We both go "oh well"... there goes the jackpot. Two casts later he lands a 9+Lb cabby to take the lead again. 2 hours before the day ends a guy thinks he is snagged and it turns out to be a 15# linger...

Thats fishin party boats! :D

ken_fishnfool
08-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Those are some QUALITY CABS!! :o
And YEP, you never know...that's why I love the salt!! ;)

żżż
08-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the report. Those ARE nice cabs! Were you able to get limits? Close?

Coastal fishing sure seems different than the islands. It seems that when the seas are rough, when you get bit you REALLY get bit.

15# ling on a shrimp fly. Go figure. You know how many shrimp flies I can buy with a 1# diamond bar? :o ::)

Feesh-On
08-04-2008, 08:23 PM
He's 6'5" 240Lbs.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o310/2Bin/CIMG2173.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o310/2Bin/CIMG2170.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o310/2Bin/CIMG2172.jpg