PDA

View Full Version : Folsom Lake report

Vance Staplin
04-03-2006, 02:32 AM
I went to Folsom today to break in my boat for the new year and prepair for next weekends Glory hole sports event down at New Melonies Resorvoir.

When I arrived I found that there was a 5 m.p.h. speed limit on the lake. *They were using drift wood as an excuse which HIGHLY frustrated me. *I have to believe that they are trying to cut down on cost of patroling the lake because the drift wood wasn't bad.

The lake wasn't as muddy as I expected and is very fishable. *Because of the 5 mile an hour speed limit I made a pass around Granite Bay. *My son landed a healthy 16" King Salmon caught on a new VANCE'S TACKLE *Cop Car color "THIN FIN" spoon trolling 9 feet down at 2 m.p.h. *We only caught the one fish but we only made one loop around the bay which took a little over an hour. *

While talking with other anglers it appears that the fish are still spread out from from the surface down to about 60 feet. *I'm certain this will continue until we get a break in this lousy weather.

Vance

dogfish30
04-03-2006, 02:55 AM
Morning Vance. I was just wondering if you will be giving another seminar up at New Malones? If so, which day? I was planning a trip up there. I went to Don Pedro last week for one rainbow at about two pounds. That was it. Might see you up there. DF30

fish4fun
04-03-2006, 05:07 AM
Hi Vance, You mentioned catching a fish on a Thin Fin. Sounds interesting.. What is it? Went to your website but couldn't find it. Guess it's too new and hasn't been added to the website yet. Years ago I had a crankbait that I think was called a Thin Fin. Used it mostly for bass, but did catch a landlocked steelhead trolling it on Berryessa.. Larry

n2trout
04-03-2006, 08:28 AM
The speed limit was put there because of the drift wood and debris. About a week or so ago, I believe it was Chapa, hit a log doing 40mph in his nice ride. Broke some stuff, no injuries thank goodness. :)
I dont mind the speed limit so much because it has made the skiers delay their start to the ski season as well as slow down the jet pilot bass boats. But if you prefer to risk wrecking your shiny new ride because you don't like to slow down that is your perrogative I guess. :-/