PDA

View Full Version : Trout trolling Rod and Reel

fishn_sonora
03-27-2006, 11:19 AM
any suggestions for a rod and reel combo for trolling for trout

kidfish
03-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Vance's 7/6 kok rod with Daiwa SG17LCA sweet!

GoneCountry
03-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Im not a expert but this is what I do. If your down riggen then light rods are in order and I would go with spinning reel . A good one. set the drag as needed. Now I dont have a downrigger yet. So I use a garcia mitchel 808 with 4 ft boat rods that are very flexable. I also use a rubber snubber to help absorb that action. Drag is also set....Test line for the flashers is about 15lb. Then some 12 lb for the leader. I very rarely loose fish with this setup. The only problem is knowing how deep I am actually getting. The weight I use every year seems to be right on the money as I limit out daily at that time of year at that particular lake. I could use lead core line but Its expensive and throws me off on depth....I cant wait to pick up a downrigger and learn to consistant at knowing where my lures depth is actually at.

AllFishNoWork
03-27-2006, 12:11 PM
The Vances Rods are indeed sweet. For general purpose trout trolling in this area I use an Ugly Stick with the Diawa Firewolf. A good set up that can be had for under $100.

Capt.Ken
03-27-2006, 12:43 PM
For the past few years I have been using the GLoomis rods model #844c this is a 7' rod with medium action, fast tip, line weight 8-17#. I like the Abu Garcia 5501C4 with this rod. This outfit is light weight but yet capable of landing big macs with plenty of backbone.

greengoop
03-27-2006, 02:02 PM
I consider myself an average fisherman. I do a little of this, a little of that. While I have found some rods and reels feel better to me than others, I don't think I have caught, or lost, many fish due to the gear. Especially when trolling. That said, I do buy decent equipment, and my main concern is a functional drag and anti-reverse. I really don't have a preference to manufacturer.

When shore fishing I believe the rod comes into play more because you have to feel the hits more.

My brother likes to use baitcasters when trolling because it is easier for him to let out line with one hand and drive the boat with the other. I haven't taken the time to learn them, so I stick with spinning gear because it fouls less for me.

digger
03-27-2006, 02:22 PM
I second wetdogs choice.

JoeTech
03-27-2006, 02:56 PM
I second that too... I personally do not own any vance rods but I have used them once and loved them. In fact I'm going to order two this week.

greengoop
03-27-2006, 03:58 PM
I had not seen a Vance rod, but after the quick recommendation of them on this thread I looked them up. I would have to agree, if I was in the market for a trolling rod, it would be high on the list.

fishon_chris
03-27-2006, 04:42 PM
I do own a vance rods and they work great.
go to www.vancetackle.com

fishon chris

SalmoClarki
03-27-2006, 04:44 PM
I use ultralight 7' daiwa spinning rods with abu garcia cardinals. You definately want instant anti-reverse on your reels. I like 7' medium
casting rods with abu garcia baitcasters for toplining. I'm in the process of making an 8' baitcaster from a 6wt. fly rod blank. It should be fun ;)

Educator_Jon
03-27-2006, 07:01 PM
I just got a Vance 7' spiral wrap pole. I went out last weekend for the first time with it. I couldn't believe the feel you get with it. I'm not an expert, but it sure is nice and the spiral wrap is a great feature!!!

saltydog
03-27-2006, 09:21 PM
I use ultralight 7' daiwa spinning rods with abu garcia cardinals .
Me too! the spinmatic-x rod is awsome for the money [smiley=old.gif]

hoghunter3
03-28-2006, 06:14 AM
Vance's are a great value and you can't go wrong for the price. I swear by Shimano Calcutta reels (50s and 100s) You paid a little more but the have, by far, the best drag in a small level wind. An absolute must when you're"Hoghunting" *;)

SideJump
03-28-2006, 06:58 AM
Rod: Shimano Tallora, 7', 2-8 lbs test line, TLA-70UL
Reel: Shimano Cardiff

I have a couple of these setups and I'm happy with them. See Craig at Fisherman's Warehouse. He's the "trolling" expert there. He'll find the best setup for how much money you want to spend.

dune41
03-30-2006, 06:52 PM
I got a couple of Lamiglas 7'0" UL casting rods for xmas and they are great. I paired them up w/Shimano Corvalus 401A reels, 8lb test w/6 Lbs flouro leader. This new set seems to work well for me. These rods and reels are relatively inexspensive also.

(Rod)
http://www.anglersworkshop.com/cgi/aw/UL-CAST.html

(Reel)
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0030194119127a&type=product&cmCat=sear ch&returnString=QueryText=shimano+corvalus&N=4887& Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=shimano+c orvalus&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

I have also used Shasta Tackle Co's Anglers Touch Rods and they are great too.

Hope this helps.