PDA

View Full Version : Collins hot on a cold day!!!

jtk25
02-19-2006, 10:34 AM
I headed out to Collins yesterday to see what I could do, and I realized one thing right off the bat IT WAS COLD!!! The weather wasn't that bad, a little rain, a little snow, and a little hail, but hardly any wind so that was the nicest thing. I started trolling the inlet and when I got up to the bridge BOOM *I had both downriggers go down. I didn't manage to get either fish in, but I had a good feeling about the day. I continued to troll the upper section pretty much all day with great sucsess. I landed 6 fish up there and lost 4 more. There were a few other boats out but they weren't trolling the same water, I only heard of 2 other fish landed trolling. All the fish came on a watermellon apex, shhh don't tell anyone, I think the watermellon pattern is the new hot ticket like the fire tiger was a year or so ago. I did land one other fish on the old flashers and worm combo. I figured I needed to fill my limit so I packed up and headed to the dam. I caught 3 more fish trolling the same watermellon setup. All the fish were in the top 10 foot of water, even though I marked alot of fish down 30 foot. This was one of the best days I've had at Collins, I just wish I had someone to fish with me, that way I could have caught more and tried different lures to see what else they might like. All in all I laned 9 and lost 4. Oh one more word of note they have rised the launching fees to $13 for the spring time. Hope to see you on the water and good luck!!!
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/boat1.jpg
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/fish1.jpg
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/fish2.jpg

YC_salMAN
02-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the report jtk25. I almost went up there yesterday but didn't want to take a chance with the weather. Now I wish I had gone though. It's good to see that it's finally starting to get good, I'll have to give it a try pretty soon. It's nice to have a report from someone who has actually fished it, I always read the Collins Lake website's report but according to that EVERYONE is just knocking the crap out of them. I don't trust that report. Thanks again and good job, I've never had that good a day at Collins.

Troutcoach
02-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Good job!! I love that lake. It's good to see that it is finally turning on. Good looking stringer. Is that a mix of browns and rainbows I see?

Trout_Shark
02-19-2006, 05:22 PM
I was thinking a couple of those looked like browns.

tdekens
02-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the report. I have fished it for over 20 years and have an annual pass. That is where the grand master of trolling taught me how to troll and actually catch fish. In its prime of the year I can limit within an hour trolling. But I get humbled by an occasional skunking. :'(
If you have never fished it let me know and I can get you started but you wont get all my tricks. Man I used to troll and troll not getting any fish even there. But with a good training lesson from an old friend who has since passed away everytime I go there I think of him and thank him for the lessons. There is also a cool Eagles nest that is in the river inlet on the south side on top of the group of 5 pines there. They have young every year and its hard to miss about a 9 foot nest. Bring your binocs.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

J2K7
02-20-2006, 10:04 AM
2Shakes, thanks for the tips offer! I'm going this week on a weekday to check out Collins without my boat. Do have any suggestions for bank locations and time of day? Also trolling tips for future trips with boat? Thanks again for the offer! ;D J2K7

jtk25
02-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Fish the sandy beach on the left of the boat ramp the kids at the lodge said a couple of limits came in from there. The fish hang around there for a while after they get planted. Inflated crawlers or powerbait sould be the ticket.

Sea_Turtle
02-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Also, for bank fishing, the S/W corner where the dam meets the west shore by the spillway is usually very good (use power bait there with a tiny treble hook). Cast out into the deeper water in front of the rocks. It's shallow along the west shore.

Good Luck!
ST

J2K7
02-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Jtk25 and ST...thanks for the tips.

Jim K