PDA

View Full Version : Amador *2/13/06

millertime
02-13-2006, 02:15 PM
We got on the water at 8:45 and nothing until 11:25.We caught a nice 2lb. bow' with a 2" powergrub.Today was the slowest day I had on that lake :-[.I saw Troutcoach,Trout Shark and Sj sharks they were doing the same as we were. :-/.Well me and my family got off the water at 12:00 and came out with one.

partner
02-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Wow, I wonder if the fish are going deeper? Last trip , We marked a lot of fish in schools at around 17 feet. Was everyone still top lining?

partner

RonM
02-13-2006, 02:37 PM
I would imagine sooner of later with the 70 degree temps they will go deeper. May have to test a few different depths to see what you get.

Trout_Shark
02-13-2006, 05:56 PM
SJS and I tested everything at every level.....nothing at all(even at 50ft.). Saw yak & Ace,Miller, and Troutcoach, we were all in the same boat...nothing >:( :-[ :'( Must have been the full moon...ended up with 1 cdr at the boat. Hopefully next monday will be better.

SalmoClarki
02-13-2006, 06:43 PM
I wonder if its time to try the bare nightcrawler again ???
It was cool to finally meet some of you fellow sniffers. That was the most entertaining part of the day! Trout_Shark
and i stared at our rods all day in disbelief figuring it had to turn on sooner or later. I wonder if it got any better this afternoon?

paulgoucher
02-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Does any one know what the water temp is ???

ROCKLIN CASTER

millertime
02-13-2006, 07:29 PM
It was 59 degrees when we were there. :-/I don't It might get warmer.

hunkfisher
02-13-2006, 08:49 PM
hopefully it cools off this week with the forecast of cold air coming down and dropping the temps by nearly 20 degrees could help and maybe it was the full moon, i had a slowday on sunday caught 4 decent cuts but alot of dfg "bass bait" got to my bait and lures, i had the bite from 130 to 300 and 2 early that morning so i think it was the moon cause i saw schools swimming probably 5 foot deep by the ramp and dam. I worked hard for those fish, guess amador isn't always gonna limit out for us, otherwise bob might go outta business.

RonM
02-13-2006, 09:17 PM
It was 59 degrees when we were there. :-/I don't It might get warmer.

Last week the surface temp was only 51.

n2trout
02-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Wow, sorry to hear it was slow. Thought it might be with the full moon and all. Cooler weather should make it stronger. Hoping to get there on Friday if rain isnt too heavy. ;)

n2trout

YakMotor
02-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Aced Out at Amador!!!
Oh man did it ever start slow. Three hours without so much as a nibble even from the floating green globules of mungwa.

Then at noon Ace connected on a wooly bugger and went on to connect connect connect all the way up to 10 boated and a couple more lost. He got 'em all on a color variety of surface trolled wooly buggers. Somewhere among his connects I got my first on a J-9 jointed Rapala. I put on a Krocodile to try deeper but got nothing. We didn't have a thermometer or fishfinder. My 2nd and 3rd came on a Jay Fair cinnamon leech trolling fly which is kind of a fat and sassy version of a plain Jane wooley bugger. Convinced by Ace's performance I ditched my untouched white Power grub and put on a small olive wooly bugger which came very close to giving me a fourth but instead provided a frustrating SDR (short distance release) after the trout took a strong head shaking jump right at the rear of the boat. The splash may have soaked Ace but it didn't put a damper on his connections. All 8 kept were sharp looking hard fighting 2 1/2 to 3 pounders.

Hehehehe ... We had a real small chuckle at the cleaning station where one successful fisherman had two to process. His BIG one was one of the DFG 12"ers we've been tossing back and his small one would barely fit in your palm. 8" at best. Can't remember when I've seen a trout that small! He filleted them both.

So Ace out aced me royally and will regale in his bragging rights for at least a month. Thankfully he doesn't gloat over having 3 tags while I'm still struggling trying to get one!

For a holiday the lake was much quieter than expected. I counted only about 25 trailers when we launched at 9am. Three guys banked their boat in the cove where we finally started catching and they did quite well fishing from shore. Weather was warm, clear, and sunny. I kept long sleeves on to prevent sunburn. Clouds came in toward dusk to end our day on a colorful note.
http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/1912/amador021306comp6409og.jpg

trackertundra
02-13-2006, 10:43 PM
I know how all of you guys are feeling. I went out on Saturday and worked all day for fivw fish. I also blamed it on the moon. Sounded like a good excuse to me!!!

Tracker

SalmoClarki
02-13-2006, 11:22 PM
Yak, nice comeback for you and Ace. We saw you go in that cove and not come out, now I know why ;D I'm going to Kiene's tomorrow and pick up a few articulating leeches.(Basically a long maribou piece with a stinger hook) Did you try a white woolybugger?

partner
02-13-2006, 11:47 PM
Dang, I think I could pick up body parts at a bad school bus accident....but a white woolybugger just sounds nasty!

partner

Troutcoach
02-14-2006, 09:38 AM
It was definately a SLOW day. If it wasn't for the great weather, company, and a few wobbly pops...it could have been a real bummer. We ended up with 3 to the boat. We threw everything at them and then some. We had more soft hits than we could count, but only three takers. It was good to see all the sniffers out there. I didn't get a chance to talk to Yak and Ace until the very end of the day and find out that they were killing them with the wooly bugger. Throughout the day I would look into my tackle box and pass right over my wooly bugger without giving it much consideration at all. I guess that'll teach me.

YakMotor
02-14-2006, 01:01 PM
No sjsharks I don't think Ace tried anything pure white. His more exotic looking flies took backseat to basic buggers in black, brown, and olive. Both he and I have tried trolling variations of streamer type flies without much luck.

Ones that have some white and foil flash and look minnowy don't seem to turn the fish on as much as they do me. I thought a larger streamer fly, a Clouser I believe it's called, I'd bought for striper fishing in the American would be killer at Amador but it wasn't even touched after pulling it a good part of a day.
NEWS FLASH Ace just stopped by saying he HAS had some luck with a streamer fly called a "Zonker." I believe it has a large white feather and resembles a minnow.

Tracker I thought you had a special lunar chart to save you gas money and frustration of a slow fishin day!

Course if you're like me you never know if you can trust info until you actually get out to experiment. Being a catcherman would be boring while FUN as a fisherman, like pulling the handle of a slot machine, comes from anticipation and excitement of not knowing what's going to happen. Instead of coins or tokens I figure I gamble with an investment made in a box of weird looking plastic, metal, and feathery stuff attached to dangerously sharp hooks. And also, of course, I'd also be very interested in a fishfinder with capabilities to hone in on little green tube tags attached near the tail of some trout!

horseshoe
02-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Yakmotor, you must have started to real them in, when I saw you guys at around 10:00 you were struggling to catch any. We ended up with 5 nice big ones using white & orange grubs with power eggs on them, I did go deeper to 15 feet and I caught a bass, then when I went to 40 I managed to catch a crappie ;D. Overall it was a slow day for us.