PDA

View Full Version : Wintertime at Eagle

Big_Country
12-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Hi everyone I just spent a few days up at Eagle Lake with my brother and my three sons -- wanted to get one more trip in before the season closes.

With the Spaulding/west basin frozen up, we launched at Gallatin and worked the Eagles Nest area. There were no other boats on Monday, and we saw about three other boats Tuesday. Lots of shore fisherman throwing worms under bobbers, didn't see anyone landing any fish.

The action was light by Eagle standards -- we trolled slow: .5 - 1 mph, and while we had a lot of takedowns, we didn't have a lot of hook-ups. The fish seemed a bit sluggish in the cold water. We did manage 10 trout over two days, biggest about 3 lbs. Most were 14 inches or smaller. We kept the biggest four for the smoker.

It snowed a ton on Sunday on the drive up, and it turned to rain all day Monday. We had early sunshine on Tuesday, which gave way to lots more rain on Tuesday starting about noon. It also rained all day Wednesday on the drive back home.

The action came on a wide variety of needlefish, rapalas and J Fair trolling flies. All were caught between 10 and 20' using both lead core and downriggers.

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a great, fishing-filled 2006.

Big Country

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1369/susanville1218058id.jpg Lots of snow in Susanville

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7868/ongallatinramp1220057wq.jpg

Gallatin ramp

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7932/gallatinramp1219050bj.jpg

http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/1176/elt1220050en.jpg

a rare bit of sunshine...

Mad_Russian
12-23-2005, 01:56 PM
I wonder if Mariners Resort is open still......If they are i might have to make a run up there, rent a boat and do some fishing

Grady19
12-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Almost, almost makes me wish I went.... Gradyator 8)

Big_Country
12-23-2005, 11:01 PM
Missed you guys up there. Next time. Best, BC

wetdog
12-24-2005, 08:19 AM
What's happened to Eagle Lake home of the 5 pounders, 14" or smaller ??? :'(

Big_Country
12-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Our average fish seems smaller every year. Must be the increased fishing pressure.

wetdog
12-24-2005, 01:50 PM
Bumber Dude :(

hoghunter3
12-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Great Pictures! Thanks for sharing

Mad_Russian
12-24-2005, 08:36 PM
Wouldnt be a bad idea if a lake was closed for 1 season to give fish a chance to grow a little

Desert_Rat
12-25-2005, 04:48 AM
The fish are definately getting smaller. I'd like to see F&G shorten the season, close the lake to fishing 1-2 days a week and eliminate the use of worms. Eagle has always been a trophy lake, but F&G seems to be focusing on quantity instead of quality.
Has anyone noticed there seems to be fewer minnows? ???

drstressor
12-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Fishing pressure doesn't reduce the average size of fish. If anything, it increases the average size of the ones that don't get caught. Heavy fishing pressure just increases the amount of food available for the remaining fish.

The problem with Eagle right now is over stocking. There is a balance between tui chubs and trout that is easy to get out of whack. The abundance of the chubs cycles from year to year in response to a number of factors. Trout predation is only one of those factors. With low water the overall productivity of the lake changes. Most of the trout I caught at Eagle this past fall were feeding on shrimp, plankton, and small baitfish that were not tui chubs (Lahontan Redsides maybe?) The trout seemed to have cleaned out the young of the year chubs by the end of summer. The decline in the main source of food combined with the stress of coping with very high alkalinity during drought years are the most likely causes of poor growth rates. Inbreeding as the result of the lack of natural reproduction will also have an effect on the strain over time.

Mad_Russian
12-25-2005, 12:45 PM
So, it seems like a problem that is going on with Bucks Lake, overstocked and kokes are eating themselves out of house and home

drstressor
12-25-2005, 01:24 PM
Yep. The koke problem at Bucks is the result of too much natural reproduction. In some environments the conditions for spawning and rearing of small fry are much better than the lake's ability to support larger fish. I believe that they are going to use a weir to restrict koke spawning at Bucks if they haven't already started the program this year.

Big_Country
12-26-2005, 12:31 PM
Overstocking and depleting food sources makes sense. Let's hope the natural balance returns. Thanks for the insight, Doc. Best wishes for a great 2006. Tim