PDA

View Full Version : Amador - 122405

T
12-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Been awhile since I posted, bear with me. My Son's and I made it on the water about 0700. Started the day with a double, ending with one ldr on the way out. Fished our way over to Doney Bay with a few hits. About 0830 or so we hooked up a double again, boating both. Stayed in and around DB hooking 20. Boated eleven for the day, two snapped my leader, and the rest ldr'd. Had to be home early so we left at 1100. We must've been using the right thing cause all but three swallowed it. All fish were caught on a white grub with one ldr using a wooly bugger topline w/o weight. Biggest was 3lbs, I think didn't have a scale.

Beautiful day, cloudy with no fog. Cleared about 0830 or so with the sun shining. Light breeze gusting up to 6mph. Water was chocolate, debris wasn't to bad. Saw two boats in my area, probably about 15 or so on the lake.(It wasn't the normal zoo today)

Here's a couple of pics.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/IMG_0414.JPG

My youngest
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/IMG_0413.JPG

My oldest
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/IMG_0411.JPG

Big_Country
12-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Nice report T -- great way to spend Christmas Eve, with the kids on the water. Congrats and Merry Christmas.

BC

hitdog777
12-24-2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the report and nice pics.

A question for those of you who have success trolling grubs. What size hooks are you using, how fast do you troll them and do you just stick them on the end or do you thread them up the shaft of the hook?

Dennis
12-24-2005, 04:54 PM
I use a #2 worm fine wire Gamakatsu hook, threaded up the hook with the hook coming out just in front of the tail and laying in the same direction as the curly tail. *Speed varies start at .9 and go upto 1.4 +- *Somedays they like it very slow and other times a bit faster. *Troutcoach stopped when he or his partner got a hit. *

You'll have to work out what works best for you. *Try some of these colors and change up if nothing is happening. *White, pearl, orange, black, red, pink to start. *Good luck let us know how you do.

Here's a pic of some of the colors. From top to bottom. *White, PearlWhite, Chartreuse, Bubblegum (Seps), On the white card Black, Sherbert (No longer in production) and Fl Orange in the package. *The hook is bent slightly right at the bend and the Sherbert grub is threaded. *I typically hide the eye of the hook inside the grub, but thought I'd leave it out for clarification purposes
http://home.surewest.net/dennisw1/Pictures/Graphics/PowerGrubs.jpg

T
12-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Hitdog,

I used #4 tru-turn hooks(pretty sure on the size), 2in Berkley grub. I thread them on with the tip of the hook started into the head, out just before the body meets the tail. The hook should be in the same direction as the hook of the tail.(I think Dennis had a pic in one of the earlier Amador posts) I use a minn-kota 36lb thrust, set at between 2-3. The settings are from 1-5. I let out between 35-50' of 8lb mainline, a small swivel w/2-3' of 6lb flourocarbon leader.

hitdog777
12-24-2005, 08:42 PM
thanks. the descriptions and pic's help a lot. I'm going to give them a try and I'll let you know how I do.

Manteca Steve
12-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Hey T
Thanks for the report & pic. Glad to see your boy's did well! Those proud pictures. ;D (priceless)

Dennis thanks for information always informative.

sushimaker
12-24-2005, 11:16 PM
dennis and fishingfoolr thanks for the tips from the other tread!

Yes I must agree, it was a great day out there today...not that crowded at all. docks were relatively empty for a Sat. Dam was kinda lined up toward the spill, saw alot of hookups early on down at their end...I was on the other end, dock side, and the bite seemed to turn on for me around Noon-3. it was probably my best day of the year:
Fish landed:
4 with clear water bobber and pwrmouse (dennis, I wanted to try the grub setup, but couldnt make it to the warehouse!)
3 with rapala f7, firetiger
2 SDR (short distance release, only bankies need apply :))
1 nice 3lber released, the rest, gave them away.

the thing bout the f7, I would see fish, sometime 3-4 fish, followin and come close but just would not hit it. Even the ones that did hit it was so lite and barely hooked (one hook on from the rear treble)...are the fish just givin me the finger by coming close and not hitting?? :o
But, i'm not complainin! again, thank you to all of you sniffers for all the advise and tips! Happy Holidays and New Years!

troutfan
12-24-2005, 11:25 PM
Great pics of the boys and great report. *Thanks alot T. ;D

trackertundra
12-24-2005, 11:41 PM
T, great pictures and congrats on a great day of fishing

song214, I had the same problem on friday with the fish not hitting my rapala and the ones that did were hitting it lite. Here's a little trick that I think made a difference for me. I took off the back treble and replaced it with a red one. It gives it the bleeding bait affect. It made a huge difference!! Try it and let me know how it works out for you.

Tracker

sushimaker
12-25-2005, 01:34 AM
thanks trackertundra, i was thinkin that too...i do that for all my bass lures-red EWGs. sweet! also, i tried puttin on a pwrworm on the back hook but that ddnt seem to matter, they still gave me the finger. ;D