PDA

View Full Version : amador fishing setups???

troutfish4life
12-22-2005, 03:07 PM
I am only 13 but i have cought alot of lake trout but it is pretty hard for me to get big trout at amador.Do you have any advice how to set up a rod.

Dennis
12-22-2005, 03:27 PM
The cutbows at Amador at this time of the year feed near the surface. *A good technique is to use a clear casting bubble and then powerbait on a #6 or #8 egg hook below that. *Use a large enough bait ball to cover the hook completely. *Cast out reel in the slack and then wait a minute or two for everything to settle down. *Then start a very slooooooowww retrieve. *Try different colors of power bait until you find one that works. *

You might try the same thing with a 3" grub. *see pic below. White, Orange, Pink, Black all work at different times. Use a #2 worm hook and thread the grub onto the long shank with the hook coming out just infront of the curly tail and in the same direction as the tail. Spincast get a little more distance, so I prefer that from the bank. *8# main line with 6# florocarbon leaders. *Some use lighter but I've broken off too many and have settled on 8 & 6.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/images/Power%20Bait/Original/Power%20Grub/MNG3%2DFO-1H.jpg

Send mike22ca a private message and ask him for help. *I know he does very well off the docks. *Hope this helps...

Doubleheader
12-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Dennis: have you had any luck with the smaller 2 inch grubs? or do you just find the 3 inchers to be better? I was about to buy some today but thought the 3 inchers were too big.

Dennis
12-22-2005, 06:09 PM
I've primarily used the 3" grubs, however I did put a 2" one on Tuesday and I did pick up a fish on it. I guess I started with the 3" over at Camanche and now I have quite a selection to work with. Color seems to be more important. You'll know you've got the right color when they swallow it.

millertime
12-22-2005, 06:11 PM
hey dennis is white and orange the hot color ???

Dennis
12-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Yes, I'd say right now it is. I caught most of my fish on Tuesday on white. *Tundratracker used orange and got a lot of fish on that color. *I think he put white on later after I mentioned it and picked up one or two. *I'll be starting with white on one rod and I'll change colors on the other rod until I see one swallowed. *Then I'll probably have both rods on that color. *

millertime
12-22-2005, 06:21 PM
I'll be using a 2" grub will that be good

Dennis
12-22-2005, 06:46 PM
2" should be fine. Are you in a boat or on the bank? If your on the bank let me know where and I'll swing by at least to say hi.

I'm in a Green Lund if you need some 3" grubs let me know and I'll toss you some.

GN.
12-22-2005, 06:55 PM
I also had good success on the 2in grubs last year. Black and red was also a good color. I may see you out there tomorrow as well. I'll be in a green and tan Crestliner.
Tight lines.

millertime
12-22-2005, 08:36 PM
hey dennis thanks i'll be in a white procraft with black lines down it (fiber glass) :)

Trout_Terminator
12-22-2005, 09:42 PM
who makes those grubs Dennis? does Berkly?

millertime
12-22-2005, 09:53 PM
yeah berkley maks em

StripperKing
12-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Yeah the grubs work great ::)