PDA

View Full Version : Berryessa report

RAT
12-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Went to Markley Cove yesterday. Paid $15 to launch at the worst pay to launch ramp I have ever experienced in over 30 years of lauching boats. They have really let it go to h---.No cleats on the docks and slope on the ramp is so flat, there is major risk to driving your boat onto your trailer and not damaging your outdrive skeg. You also have to dodge fairly major potholes up and down. The free ramp at Capell is far better.
The report that I had heard from Spanish Flat the day before was that the majority of the trout were now parsite free and the trout fishing was good. One out of two statements were correct. Caught 5 trout in the 1 to 1 1/2 lb range drifting minnows. Three at 30 feet +/- deep and two at 6 feet under a bobber. I released them all as they were parasite infested. Perfect weather and perfect wind for drifting. Sorry for the negativity.
RAT

fish4fun
12-11-2005, 11:03 PM
RAT, Thanks for the report. I agree with you on the ramps. Capelle Ramp is free and is far better than Markeley. I heard the same report you did about the parasite free trout and I wasn't sure I believed it. My experience over the last few years is that the Eagle Lake trout and the salmon, if you're lucky enough to catch them, are fairly free of parasites. The other rainbow in the lake are usually infested with parasites.. Larry

vvbob
12-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Rat
I complained to management about there not being any cleats on the dock last year. I was told they took them off so people wouldn't tie up & go up to the store, etc thus blocking the ramp for launching. :(
You would think they would keep the chuck holes filled in, that doesn't take too much time to correct. :(
Where did you fish?

RAT
12-12-2005, 05:36 PM
VB
I didn't start drifting until we had cleared the mouth of Markley, and then southerly toward the dam, paralleling both the westerly and easterly shorelines. All the fish were caught in that area. Tried trolling late in the day through the narrows with a Yo-Zuri Pin's Minnow and had two hard hits, but no hookups. Wanted to run over to Skier's Cove, but ran out of time.
RAT

The_Big_Sinus
12-13-2005, 07:47 AM
The people at Markley suck. I avoid the place. I went there one time to rent a boat (free money, right? for $10 of gas & 20 min. of work, they turn a day's rental) and was told "we don't rent when it rains". Spanish Flat apparently didn't have the same problem... Throw in the poor quality minnow the folks at Markley keep in the tank, and well, why bother?