PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake trip 11/25 to 11/28

lake-troller
11-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Went to Eagle Lake on 11/25. Got there, settled in and on the water by 3:45 pm. There were five of us in two boats. Caught 4 fish between 2 and 3 lbs, fished in front of the tullies in front of the air strip. On 11/26 we worked the boy scout camp and little truxell. Caught a total of 26 fish. Two went 4lbs. 5oz. All the rest were again between 2 and 3 lbs. On 11/27 we worked the same areas and caught 21 fish. Largest was 3lbs 5oz. On Monday we fished the snow storm for an hour. Caught 1 fish and lost a few. Most of the fish were caught on Jay Fair flies, all around best, tui chub, and brown. Caught a couple on hoochies in green and white, and pink and white. Headed out at 10:30 am. Plan was to go to Pyramid. Wheather report I got was calling for 22 to 32 mph winds on Tuesday. Called Crosby, they said wind was up but no white caps. With the new storm already at Eagle Lake and more comming in we decided to head home. Started out of Boomtown at about 3:00pm. Made it to the check station before they made us chain up. It was about 6:45 we got to Auburn. Made for a long ride home seeing how I live 1 hour south of San Jose. All and all a good trip. Plus I met Jay Fair and his son.

Troutcoach
11-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for the report.

Big_Country
11-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the report. I plan to go just before Christmas for a couple of days. Probably launch at Gallatin, if the Spaulding ramp is iced in.

Seems like the better route to travel to Eagle in winter conditions from the Bay Area is to take I5 to Red Bluff, then Hwy 36 through Chester. It's certainly the road less traveled.

BC

Troutdraggin
11-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Good report. What was the water temp? I hope to go up this weekend...Did you go over the pass from Hwy 36 or go around the lake? Was wondering what kind of condition the road was in (believe A-1) or something like that that goes through Lake Forest Estates from 36 to the lake.

jim

wkokaneeman
11-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Hey Trollingfly;

How was Jay? i usually stop in and see him every year up their,but this year i did'nt go because i heard his health has slowed him down,and he was'nt feeling well.and last year was the first time in 14 years i did not make it to the lake.does he look & sound healthy,and doing well?

lake-troller
12-01-2005, 06:28 AM
Troutdraggin, I went around the lake. Another guy we knew there had gone over the pass, he said it was icy and slipper int he shady areas. Around the lake is a much better road. We had 1 to 1 1/2 inches of snow and no problems. Just had to take our time.

wkokaneeman, Jay looked good and seemed healthy. He had just come in from fly fishing. His son said that him and Jay are moving back up there together. So you will be able to see him any time you go.

I had a water surface temp of 37 to 39 degrees.

Troutdraggin
12-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the info. I lived briefly at Lake Forest Estates in the early 90s and used to fish Eagle Lake almost daily on the south end this time of year. This is the best time to fish the lake but it is cold, and the roads can be very dangerous, especially pulling boats. Going around the lake can also be dangerous for deer crossing the roadway. But even at that, it's worth it once you get on the water. I've just noticed the fish weight and size getting smaller over the years. When I lived there, you didn't hardly ever catch anything smaller than 3 lbs. Most fish were around 3 1/2 to 4lbs. The locals said they averaged much larger in earlier years before that. Guess with all the publicity about the lake, the fish are getting hammered more and they average smaller sizes. But they are still nice fish at 2 1/2 lbs or there abouts. It's nice to hook into a larger one once in a while though. I know they are in there ;D

lake-troller
12-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Here are a couple of photos
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/2985/img01469fm.jpghttp://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3755/img01636bv.jpg

Troutdraggin
12-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Nice Fish! Makes me want to leave for Eagle Lake today. Looks like a nice day on the lake.

cornfused
12-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Trolling Fly - Great report and photos! Wish I could find time to make the drive up again before the season closes. We were up the first weekend in Nov. and also had a great trip. I have never been disappointed fishing Eagle Lake in the fall - It is a great fishery.

Flatbroke
12-09-2005, 02:17 PM
looks like you had a great trip. I bet the water was COLDDDDDD, about 38-39 degrees ;D don't ask how I know ::)

Mr_Big_Fish
12-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Have you ever tried his technique at Almanor? I have been using his technique for years at Eagle with a group of guys
and we have been talking about going to Almanor and trying the technique and I was wondering if you have tried it there. We also were up at Eagle middle November with good success although fish size although good still seems overall smaller from years pass. We suspect Almanor too have some big fish but just haven't stopped on our way to Eagle.

drstressor
12-11-2005, 01:09 PM
The Jay Fair method of using a shot of lead core to get the fly deep and making a circle with the rod tip to impart action works everywhere. I've caught fish that way at Pyramid, Eagle, Davis, Alamanor, Frenchman, Stampede, and Flaming Gorge. It's a bit of work and requires precision trolling if you do it right. It's sort of like ripping plugs. Most people (including me most of the time) would rather just pull lures with the rod sitting in a holder.

Flatbroke
12-12-2005, 07:21 AM
I have used it at shaver lake too.

fish4fun
12-12-2005, 10:42 AM
Connie and I fished with Jay Faire about 5 years ago on Eagle Lake using his system. He's a great teacher-guide and has made some creative innovations to the art of trolling for trout. About two or three years ago he was inducted into the Fishing Hall of Fame for his unique contributions to fishing.

He perfected a method of trolling involving specially designed flies and a unique fishing line setup. His early line setups were a short section of lead core attached to mono backing followed by a light mono leader attached to the trolling fly. The short section of lead core could be varied in length to troll at different depths. Later he evolved this line setup to a long length of dacron backing on the reel attached to a visibly colored floating fly line(75 to 90ft long) followed by a short section of leadcore, followed by a light mono leader. When we fished with Jay we used the setup with the fly line. And like Doc said we held the rods and moved the rod tip in small circles to impart action to the fly. It worked very well. It was cool to see the fly line floating behind the boat. It showed us precisely where we were trolling and allowed us to cut and turn right next to rocks and tule berms.

Since then I made up two Jay Faire type line setups myself with different lengths of leadcore that I can add to alter the depth. I've used it on Eagle and Lake Sonoma and done very well. Like many others, I'd rather put the rod in a rod holder than hold it in my hand and keep it moving in a circular motion. Guess I'm lazy! I've used Wiggle Fins ahead of the flies with success, but they're not as good imparting the circular motion by hand.

Well, anyway, I've probably bored some people with too much detail. But when I when this thread wandered onto the topic of Jay Faire, I just had to say something. We have fond memories of a day on the water with Jay.. Larry

cornfused
12-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Have you ever tried his technique at Almanor?

MBF, we have fished Almanor for the past 8 years or more. We used to make two trips a year (Spring and Fall). 5 or 6 years ago we did great trolling flies along the Western shore of the Peninsula the first weekend in November. We must have caught 25 fish beween three of us, with the largest being a 6-1/2 LB brown. The lake was nearly full that year.

Since then, we have not done very well at Almanor. Either we haven't timed our trips right or the lower lake level has affected the fishing. Three years ago we started going to Eagle Lake for our Fall Trip, and have not been disappointed. We have never done well in the Spring at Almanor (Mid April).

Good luck!