PDA

View Full Version : Wollybugger for trout w/spin gear

roswalt
11-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Hey all, I am wanting to get a few ideas on set-up, to fish the bugger with my spinning gear for Amador and Rancho Seco this winter. Anyone with suggestions? size ? color? leader ?
presentation too..
I am thinking that most use the water filled bubble bobber.
thanks for the help!
-fishable

Chapa
11-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Hey Fishable

it sounds like you are fishing from shore right?

I have trolled wolley's really slow off a boat and caught fish there at Amador.

I would say that you are on the right track. The water filled bobber will give you distance on your cast and let it float on top. I would say troll it reall slow. As the day gets warmer the fish go deeper so take the bobber off put some wieghts on to give you distance and troll a little deeper.

just my .02

Chapa

freon
11-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Fishable, Chapa is right about the wooly bugger at amador, for rancho seco, you need to be right off the bottom though. If you watch the fly fishermen at rancho, they use a fast sinking tip and wait until its right at the bottom and use a semi quick retrieve to keep it near the bottom the whole time. At amador, I have never caught trout deep with buggers, but one thing I have done before is to just put one power egg on a hook with casting bubble and slowly retrieve that and have gotten slammed on it before, you might want to try that before you try the bugger, just an idea :D
Freon

SuperDave
11-16-2005, 08:03 PM
IMO, wollybuggers never get the right "puff" action on the tail with a spinning rod. I'm sure some will attest to catching fish this way but it is simply not like the stripping action of a fly line. Using a split shot, it could alsmost be fished like a jig by retrieving and letting it fall in short lengths.

Mr_Ed
11-16-2005, 11:42 PM
This Ol Fart just takes the hook off of a spoon; adds 16" of leader and adds a fly.......How hard is that ???

roswalt
11-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the tip's gents, Chapa were you at Whimpy's last sat.? I think I saw you with that new boat, we got a few small stripers up in snodgrass nothing too big but better that Salmon skunk we expierenced this season, Freon when you fish that powerball does it sink? I have used them before it seems to me that they float are you using a small shot with that setup ? I've seen guys use the bubble with powerball at seco, but they were using it almost full and *would let it sink, I guess kind of nuetral boyant, it just lays on top of that vegatation. They did good too. BTW dfg stocked rancho on Tues. and yesterday they got a small load from Amador fish farm. ;) my buddy got them yesterday on a small 2" swimbait like they sell at wallyworld (cream).

Zandaman
11-17-2005, 05:27 PM
A good way to fish wooly buggers with a spining reel if its rocky is by using a golfball for a weight. I use this at Pyramid often. Get A golfball and screw an eyelet into it. You cand get these eyelets at most hardware stores.
Once you have your golfball you use abought 3 feet of leader from the fly to the golf ball. You have to have a little heavier tackle. I like to use my twelve pound set up. The golf ball is heavy enough that it will cast out far but it doesnt sink like lead, it Falls at a slower rate and bounces off the rocks extreemly well. So you can get real close to the bottom avoiding most rocky snags. Unweighted wooly buggers tend to work best because they suspend in the water better than smaller flies. You can even paint the golf ball if you want to get creative.
This is one of my favorite methods to fish flys on a spinning set up Because:

1.you can vary your retrive and dont have to reel at a constant rate, unlike if you were using lead. slow,fast.
2. Its cheap.
3. Snag Resistant, you can get close to the bottom
;)

freon
11-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Fishable, its not a powerball, its a power egg, just one or two eggs, but they come in a long row in a jar. I usually will do it one of two ways, either use a colored water bobber and a three foot leader and cast it out and let it set, or what I like the best, is to fill it completely up with a clear water bobber and cast it out and sometimes reel it right in and sometimes let it sink some or all the way down to locate the fish.
Zanda, thats a great idea, I like it.
Freon

roswalt
11-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the great reply's Freon for the power EGG lessons, and Zanda Man for the tip on golfing...that's great.
Both I will take to heart...as will the other replys ;D

In the mid 70's I fished the Mad River in humbolt, my mentor set me up with a red rubber ball...the kind that yer dog loves to chew up..shinny outside dull dark red spongy inside size of tennis ball, he had skewered all the way through stainless wire and swivel on both side three feet of leader down to a 'chovey hooked and half hitched, I could cast almost all of my line out...I caught my first two salmon that day, a day I will never forget. ;D ;D ;D

-fishable