PDA

View Full Version : Folsom Lake eating my flashers last Friday

Skymaster
11-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Launched at 0820 Friday morning, trolled at the enterence to the South fork and up it's tributory for about 3 hours. (Lots of fish contacts at the enterence and many more up the tributory with now an added worm and flasher setup sitting on one of the trees down at 100 feet). Went out to the cove just above the South fork and then finally over to the dam where there were only a couple of contacts close to the float bouys. After 8 hours of trolling, I decided to leave. Not a bite. Here is my question. Perodically, I would find that my worm was wrapped around my flashers. Both my downrigger, which I was trolling anywhere from 27 feet to 110 feet at times, and also to my dissappointment my lead core topline was also tangled. I was using cowbells (5) and a nice fresh nightcrawler at somewhere around 30 inches. I was doing what I thought was correct by doing "S" turns and trolling slowly. (Oh by the way, I am totally new to trolling). Can anyone enlighten me as to why I am getting tangled?? I thought that maybe I was letting the downrigger down too fast, but the topline also being tangled seems to point to maybe my "S" turns may be the problem?? H E L P..........

Skymaster
11-20-2005, 08:30 AM
Oh, by the way the Ranger is back. I thought that I read that the check station was closed. Talking to the ranger, he is there all winter long at Brown's Revine.

Oxbow
11-20-2005, 08:50 AM
I can think of two reasons for the tangles:
1. * If you let out the line fast, the blades will pass the leader with crawler and result in a tangle.
2. * You need to place a very good swivel between your main line and the blades. *Were you using a rudder in front of the blades? *It also doesn't hurt to have a swivel or bead chain at the rear of the blades in case the crawler spins.

Maybe others will chime in here with more info.

FreshwaterFrank
11-20-2005, 08:59 AM
I'd guess you're tangling up from turning too sharply while going slow. It used to happen to me when I first started trolling. Especially easy to do when there's wind to deal with. The idea of making S turns, is both to move your lure through water undisturbed by your boat...and to vary the speed/depth of it. When you turn, your outside line speeds up, & the inside line will slow down & also sink. If conditions are right (wrong) it will virtually stop, then when the slack comes back out, it snags on itself. Much easier to do at slow speeds, and dragging heavy/long flashers like cowbells. When those rigs stop forward movement, they sink like rocks, & the leader will wrap around the hardware very quickly. Also, the more line you have out the easier this will happen.

Skymaster
11-20-2005, 09:29 AM
Good ideas. Looks like I need to make shallower turns and use more than a small snapswivel. I am making something like 90 degree turns. Too much? Mabye 20 to 30 degrees?
Also, I was out about 60 to 70 feet. Is this too far behind the boat?

Just a point of interest, I was just into the South fork and looking out the port quarter and a large (huge) trout looking to be about 10-20 lbs (I started putting down 20-30 but thought that might be a little overstated) rolled leasurly out of the water and onto it's back around 20 yards from me. My first instinct was that it was a brown, however I am not use that there are browns there. It had the military colors of a brown.

vito
11-20-2005, 09:35 AM
There are some really big carp and pikeminnows in there. That is my guess.
About the tangles - make sure that your are moving when you lower your lines down. I like to let my lines out going a little faster than my trolling speed. Make sure there is good tension on the line while you are releasing it or else you will get the problem oxbow was describing. Once my riggers are stacked, then I slow down to my trolling speed. Then make those s turns.

TroutGod
11-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Keep tension on your line while you let it back. If you have a spinning real let the line out but with tension by letting it feed between your thumb and forefinger. If it's a baitcasting reel just keep your thumb on the spool with tension as it let's out that's probably your problem. Or like was stated above don't make a 180 degree turn, although that won't always tangle you it will cross lines if you have 2 rods out. Hope this helps!!