PDA

View Full Version : pyramid vhf

Troutracker
11-18-2005, 10:34 AM
What channel do you guys use out at Pyramid to chat about the fishing on the VHF radios? I've been out a few times but can't get a hold of anyone. Thanks.

Abe
11-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Thats a good question. I will be out saterday. What station will you be on? Ill be in a red ford and a dark green north river.

drstressor
11-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Channel 69 is the "Lake Channel" for 'sniffers.

Mako
11-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Has anyone had trouble with VHF's on Pyramid?

My brother and I both have boat mounted units with long antenna's. I had a hard time getting good reception at the Wall when we were a few miles apart and the same with the Needles. Is this a Pyramid thing or do one of us have a problem with our VHF. They come in crystal clear when we are close.

drstressor
11-18-2005, 11:19 AM
The maximum theoretical range for communication between 2-6 db antennas mounted on 30" gunnels is about 8.9 miles. The distances at Pyramid are deceiving. Also, while places like Hell's Kitchen look like flat walls from a distance, the rocks curve around quite a bit. Since VHF is line of sight, you can't talk around corners.

I'd like to know what type of setup Ron Gonefishin has on his boat. You can hear him, but usually not whoever he is talking with, from about anywhere on the lake.

Mako
11-18-2005, 11:23 AM
I have an old antenna but new VHF. I'm thinking about replacing the antenna. What is the best? or are all of the same.

drstressor
11-18-2005, 11:37 AM
I honestly don't know. I recently replaced a cheap old Shakespeare with a new one that cost ~$80. It doesn't work nearly as well as the old one. I think that my mistake was to shorted the coax and put on a new connector. The solderless connector did not work well at all. I soldered a new one on, but it still doesn't work as well as my old antenna.

The antenna is supposed to be the most important part of the system.

SuperDave
11-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Pyramid is the lake that made me buy a new system. The attached is the antenna I got and it has worked great. Unfortunately, your ability to communicate is only as good as the guy with the cheapest antenna. Weak transmissions still come across broken when the sender has a crappy system.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0000870016970a&type=product&cmCat=sear ch&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText= antenna&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2 Fsearch-box.jsp.22&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&N ty=1&Ntt=antenna&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

ITUKAWAL
11-18-2005, 12:22 PM
That's the same Shakespeare I have on my rig. Now that I've replaced the 11 year old radio with some newer technology I'm getting super trans / rec quality. I B Happy now ;D ;D

Rusty_Hooks
11-18-2005, 01:05 PM
That's a good thing Steve ;)

Happy, model citizens 8)

Hinrid....you should have included the color co-ordinated noodle location for the bumper too. ;) ;D ;D

Nice setup

Mako
11-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Hinrid,
I checked it out. So the FLT has a filter for use in heavy traffic areas (by cities, large ports, etc.) to eliminate squak. Why did you pick the 5225-FLT? it seams that the 5225-XT would work fine for about $40 less. Also, does anybody have any other great antenna suggestions?
Thanks Hinrid

FishMischief
11-18-2005, 01:33 PM
I want to stop using my 8' and go to a 5' or there about. The 8' is always in the way unless I have the top up. Any recomendations? I think this would be fine for most lakes I fish. May I can get an extension when fishing Pyramid?

BITE_ME_II
11-18-2005, 01:51 PM
The only advice I would have is to stay with the 8', you won't be happy down sizing once you've had the 8'

My .02

BITE ME II
8) 8)

hetchy
11-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Not Pyramid related but I was sort of surprised at the time. I was fishing at Hell Hole in Placer County a few months ago and on channel 16 I could clearly hear the San Franciso Coast Guard although I couldn't hear any boats. Sort of amazing being that I was in the mountains and so far away. The Rubicon Canyon must line up direcly with the Bay. Bob

SuperDave
11-18-2005, 02:14 PM
hetchy, I think it is because the coast guard uses satellites. It gets bounced to you, not line of sight.

hetchy
11-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Yea, that would be the case since they have to communicate over the horizon. Thanks Bob

Mickey_Thomas
11-18-2005, 04:16 PM
I heard GoneFishin on Hell Hole catching a fish and I was almost to Stumpy Meadows, the strange part is that he could hear us too ??? Ron's radio is a West Marine 600, and he brought the 180.00 antenna, of course I was to cheap for that, I have a West Marine 500 with the 120.00 antenna and it's not as good as Rons but today I was at the dam on Folsom and talked to a guy up the south fork. I guess Hammer finally soldered mine right. We'll see the next time I'm at Pyramid, that's the best test for it.

CHICKFISHING58
11-19-2005, 11:58 PM
Thats a good question. I will be out saterday. What station will you be on? Ill be in a red ford and a dark green north river.
Hey Abe,
I didnt hear you on the radio I did see the green north river we were in the red jet craft hope you did better then we did ;)