PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Lure Hooks

Mako
11-02-2005, 09:03 AM
I just received some 4" Lymans that I ordered from Tyee tackle. The lures were in the factory cartons. 1 lure had trebles in front and back and the other three had 1 siwash in front and no hook or eye in the back. This is contrary to some of the posts as to remove the front treble and put a siwash in the back. I wonder if Lyman feels they work better with the siwash in the front. Also, Tyee threw in 2 packs of trebles if I wanted to use them, real nice. I couldn't believe the color selection and how quick I received them (ordered on Friday and received on Wed from Canada). I ordered some Lymans on another web site on 10/19 and I haven't received them yet!

SuperDave
11-02-2005, 09:13 AM
The 3" Lyman has always had 1 hook in the middle on a swivel and is long enough to extend to the back tip of the lure. A 4", however, with one hook doesn't seem right.

Mako
11-02-2005, 09:51 AM
The hook ends up flush with the back end. Maybe they feel it runs better. Anyway, I'll try them at Pyramid this weekend and if I get hits and no hookup I'll make some mods. I'll let you know what happens :o

Mickey_Thomas
11-02-2005, 10:14 AM
They will dance just about the same with the treble or siwash hooks, I usually put the siwash on the back ring though ;) Most tackle co. that you order from don't carry stock, so you order your lures and then the company orders them from Lyman and if they want to add something for shipping they have to make the loop to you. I'm not familar with Tyee Tackle in Canada but my guess is that they had them in stock from a previous order that got returned. I order all mine from Steve's fishing Supplies. If I were a betting man I'd say your order had been delievered to someone who fooled with the hooks and then returned them. I think the norm is, 3" one treble, 4" and larger 2 treble hooks. Since you're going to Pyramid use just the single siwash, those Cutts hit so hard that it would be a story if one came off ;D

Mako
11-02-2005, 11:49 AM
They were in a nontampered original carton. The back eye was missing and paint still covering the rear spot where the eyelet goes (appears to have small drilled mark). So, should I just transfer the eyelet and siwash hook from the front to the back spot, or leave it alone and see what happens ?

SuperDave
11-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Steel the eyelet and hook from the "other" lure and make one whole one with 2 hooks? On a 4" plug, I think I'd move the hook to the back as a minimum. I've spoken with the the maker of Lyman Lures on the phone on two occassions. He is very nice and helpful. He makes the lures and his wife hand paints them. You might give him a call and see if he is experimenting with hook placement.

Mako
11-02-2005, 12:09 PM
If you think the hook should be in the back then I think I jest need to move it. Do you have the phone # to Lyman?

SuperDave
11-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Lyman Lures Manufacturing Ltd.
8-1691 Powick Rd., Kelowna, BC, Canada, V1X 4L1
Phone: (250) 861-3677 Fax: (250) 861-3672
E-Mail: gneufeld@lymanlures.com

HighSierra_Drifter
11-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Glen agreed to stock 15 colors for me and ship them as I placed my orders, but he is clean out-of-stock after this summer :( He is a small manufacturer and doesn't have these hanging up by the dozens of each color in his shop as we may think. He told me when it slows down this fall they will be making more inventory so my customers don't have to wait for them to be made. Sorry they are taking so long Mako. All of the 4" lures he has made for me come with two trebles.

Drifter

Mako
11-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Sorry, I know its out of your control. I was really amazed to see the package from Tyee so soon. Also, thanks for the input on the trebles :)

fenton_chris
11-02-2005, 04:30 PM
love them lures! just dont troll to fast with them or they do huge circles and u end up foul hooking more fish then catching them the right way.

BITE_ME_II
11-02-2005, 04:49 PM
They're supposed to do circles!! you just need to make sure your lines are well seperated, so you don't hook other lines, as for foul hooking I haven't had that problem since I put single hooks on the back end of the lures on a barrel swivel.

BITE ME II
8) 8)

Mickey_Thomas
11-02-2005, 05:23 PM
I've trolled with them over 5 miles an hour and never had them tangle, that's the best thing about Lymans, you can troll fast or slow, they still do their dance. But as BITE ME II pointed out, you have to make sure you separate your lines, basically they can move 4' in any direction at any time, so separate your lines accordingly ;)

fenton_chris
11-02-2005, 08:00 PM
when i 1st started out with them. i had a few tangles when i ran 2 of them at the same depth. or another lure at the same depth i have a thin boat so i dont have much space between lures. ive hooked quite a few in odd places which isnt good when u want to do c n' r. as far as "They're supposed to do circles!!" i dont know about that, cuz at 1 mph or 4 mph, i've caught fish. which is nice, becuz at any speed they have good action 8) even the guy at Will Fish Tackle warned me about going to fast. but ive done it anyway a few times, but i have to run it alone, or deep enough away from another line. ive had best luck with frog pattern and silver black with red spots.

Mako
11-03-2005, 09:34 AM
I emailed Glenn at Lyman and here is th eresponse I received.

This is contrary to what you guys are doing. This is how the Canadians do it 'eh!

The hooks that come on the lures will depend on which distributor Tyee Tackle purchased them from. The single hook rig is for here in BC because of the gear restrictions we have. It works very well.

Do not put the single hook on the back. It is supposed to be on the front screw-eye with two split rings.

Try it. You might end up changing all your plugs with trebles over to singles.

Glenn

drstressor
11-03-2005, 09:56 AM
For Pyramid cutts, I doubt that it matters where you put the hook since they generally inhale a 4" plug. I have some Tomics that came with the central hook location and they also catch fish. They have a swivel attached to the hook which is connected to the screw eye with a split ring. You will loose fewer fish if you use a swivel. Just watch a fish twist behind your boat and you will see why that is the case. They get no leverage to shake the hook when a swivel is attached.

Mako
11-03-2005, 10:24 AM
I definately agree to the swivel. But, if you only had 1 hook trailing the lure it will be far back, it seams like the front setup should work. I always thaught that a fish will always try to eat the head of a minnow first. Is this true? so when your lure gets hit is it at the head or back? or just however they hit it?

Lyman says to leave the siwash in the front and you guys say put it in the back ??? I guess its time to fish and check it out. But, I'm going to put a swivel in there for the BIG hawg !