PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake...??? about Spaulding ramps

MGood777
10-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Just noticed that on http://eaglelakefishing.info Val has a report that the water is 16 inches deep heading out from the southernmost ramp at Spaulding. I have a deep-V cuddy that draws that much. I'm taking it up there next weekend.

I was there in August and there was plenty of water at that ramp to launch. At it's shallowest, it was probably 3 feet deep at that ramp, but I got in and out no problem. There's no way the lake level has dropped 12+ inches in less than 3 months.

I'm thinking that Val is exaggerating just to err on the side of caution? Anybody been there lately??

drstressor
10-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Yep. The southernmost ramp is now useless. Mickey couldn't put his boat in there last weekend. However, the ramps just to the north have plenty of water. Just watch out for the shallows and rocks on the way around the point. They are not all marked. I saw a guy run hard aground heading out before first light.

Mickey_Thomas
10-28-2005, 03:46 AM
And the only reason I tried to use that southern ramp was because of bad information given my by one of my sniffer brothers ??? I never went back to see who told me that but when the truck was over half way in the water and my boat wasn't floating yet I figured it out ::) ;) ;D Doc sees all the good stuff 8)

MGood777
10-28-2005, 04:13 AM
Now you guys are totally confusing me. The "eaglelakefishing" web site says just the opposite. She says...

"The north launch ramp is not advisable for launching.
The south (first one) ramp is suitable however the shallow shoal leading out to the lake is approximately 16 inches deep."

So Mickey...Is it the first ramp you come to that was OK for you, or did you have to go to the 2nd one in the back?

Mark_Damron
10-28-2005, 05:00 AM
Val is correct. The first ramp is usable,(south ramp)the north ramp is the bad one.When I was there a few weeks back the water depth at the south ramp was 2.5 ft. With a boat your size check it out first and if it's too shallow go to the south marina and launch. There are some issues to be worked out with the contractor who did the work up there. Stop at the General store and George will fill you in on what's going on. Good luck, PHM

vvbob
10-28-2005, 08:45 AM
Doc & Mickey
How did you guys do at Eagle?
Where did you fish?
Were there a lot of floating weeds?

Mickey_Thomas
10-28-2005, 02:10 PM
The first ramp you come to in the middle of the new parking lot is the one to use. VVBob, fishing for us was a little slow on the most part, the weeds weren't to bad but if you tried trolling around Spaulding they were. Shrimp Island seemed to be holding the most fish. Most fish were caught above 12' deep, so fishing 8' was the best.

drstressor
10-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Eileen and I whacked them in front of Shrimp Island on Sunday. The fish were filter feeding on water fleas and shrimp right below the surface. Orange and gold J-7 Rapalas 150 ft back with no weight at all were the ticket. The trout barfed up globs of greenish-yellow Daphnia with flecks of brownish-orange shrimp.

Mick, I seem to remember helping you guys catch fish on Saturday also. ;D

vvbob
10-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys, I heading up to Eagle on 11/7. Will be at the north end at Stones Landing......
Last year I was there about the same time. I had to come down to the youth camp each day, there were no fish(for me) in the north basin, & the weeds were terrible.
Looks like the same scenario this year.

Mickey_Thomas
10-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Yes you did Doc, didn't we thank you? ::)

MGood777
10-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Hey V.Bob...

We'll be there at the same time. I'll be with a group of 10-15 guys in the house & the studio at Spaulding RV Park from Nov 6-12. Say hey and have a beer with us if you're in the neighborhood. I work in Dixon by the way. We're practically neighbors. We'll be on channel 69 up there. Here's what me & the boat looks like...

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=salmon_steel;action=display;num=1129 559382

vvbob
10-28-2005, 05:36 PM
MGood
I have a 19' Lund. Gray with cannon downriggers.I will probably be fishing around the youth camp, I'll keep an eye out for you.
Bob

jesballs
10-28-2005, 05:37 PM
ill be up there 5th - 7th hope to hear you 69 :)

wkokaneeman
10-28-2005, 06:20 PM
To All;

I just got back home from Eagle Lake a couple hours ago.i was there from Sunday till this morning. the old/new ramp is in great shape :),the new ramp is closed :(.the water at the old/new ramp is approx. 2 feet deep.i have a 22' Jetboat,and is was no problem.for those with outboards,or stern drives,raise them up until you get out about 100-150 yards into 5 feet of water,then you will be fine.do not head straight out from the ramp.head out slightly to the left or right.there ia a submerged rock rock straight out from the dock!! :o on Wednesday afternoon,when i arrived back to the dock from fishing for the day,there were 2 gentlemen at the top of the ramp with their boat(18' Bayliner w/stern drive),and they found the rock!! :-[ busted the skag right in half,and destroyed the prop!!so just be careful! the water is stained brown there,and you will not see the rock under water.we also got to see 21,700 Eagle Lake Trout get planted at the Spaulding ramp when we got back!! pretty cool to watch.they made 3 plants this week there.that's a lot of Trout!! :D
The fishing for me was very tough,has well has for most other folks there this week ???.a lot of boats trolling the Youth camp/Pellican Point area.you really have to watch yourself out there!! folks were cutting me off,and running right up,or accross my lines,and did'nt even care!! >:( very rude!! the fish are there though.the bite took of on Thursday afternoon(about noon time) ;).the best spot right now is Miner's Bay,south of Eagle's Nest.the wind has been howling the past 3 days,so you have to start off at the very southern part of Miner's Bay,and troll North with the wind and current,then pick everything up,head back South,and start over again trolling North. Sep's grubs in Orange or Brown are the ticket,trolled bare.Orange was best for me.Uncle Larry's Black Perch with a Sep's grub,was also working.when you get there,just turn your VHF radio to channel 69,and listen to those that are talking.they are very good about giving out info on where,and what's working at that time.
The North end of the Lake,including the Spaulding/Airport area is loaded with grass!! :( went and took a look out there on Monday,and got so much grass sucked up into the Jet pump,the boat would not go!! :o had to limp all the way back to Spaulding on the kicker motor!!not fun!! pulled the boat out of the water,cleared the pump,put her back in,and all was fine from there ;).the South end of the Lake is clear of Grass for the most part.have fun,be carefull on the roads up there.it was raining when i left this morning.there was just a touch of snow,at the very top of A-1 on the way out to Hwy 36,but no problem.but,things can change in a heartbeat up there.go get'em!! ;D

MGood777
10-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Hey Kokaneeman...That's awesome info. Thanks very much. Thumbs up!!!

wkokaneeman
10-29-2005, 06:26 AM
Mgood777

No problem!!my pleasure!

jesballs
10-29-2005, 10:13 PM
can you launch from Eagle lake marina ?? or once its closed thats it? i think it closes this wensday

jes

drstressor
10-29-2005, 10:36 PM
The marina was really bad back in mid September and must be worse now. There are several unmarked rocks in front of the ramp and the docks. Spaulding is the best bet.

RIVER_RAT
10-31-2005, 11:18 AM
MGood and V Bob, I'll be there with a group of 18 on 10/11 to 13/11 staying at Eagle Lakes Rental. Traditionally most of us will be bait fishing at the youth camp just in front of the cabins on the point. I have a 16' green Lund w/stars. hope to see you up there. I need to get a VHF :-/

SuperDave
10-31-2005, 11:23 AM
:o ??? 13/11? Dislectic dating?

MGood777
10-31-2005, 12:13 PM
River_Rat...Assuming you mean 11/10 to 11/13...

I'm in the red/white Invader cuddy cabin with stars on the starboard and stern. We'll be trolling that neighborhood all week long next week. Give us a shout too if you see us.

Where is that place you're staying? Is it at Spaulding or on the south side?

RIVER_RAT
10-31-2005, 12:32 PM
LOL, duh....11/10 to 11/13 ;D
MGood, I'll be just up the road from you, I'm up the first road beyond the restaurant & bar on the strand. We'll be at the restaurant on Saturday night for a banquet dinner if it's open. if your there I'll be the loud mouth of the bunch,if that doesn't help just ask for Ken ;)

Fish_Stomper
10-31-2005, 03:02 PM
wkokaneeman,

Do you know how far from the ramp the submerged "prop eating" ??? rock is.

FS

SuperDave
10-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Fish_Stomper, I was there in September and had the butt pucker going every time in and out of the marina. The trick seemed to be to have your motor trimmed 98.5% in the water. ;);D With trim pointed up and go slow, you'll be okay.

MGood777
10-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Ken...If you're in the mood, come see us for a fishing report when you get to Spaulding. We will have been there a few days by the time you arrive. We're headed up on Sunday. I'll be at the house at the RV park. It's on the right directly behind the store as you pull into the RV park. We're a big group of retired Highway Patrolman (of which my dad is one of them), plus a couple of younger not-retired-yet guys like myself. --Mike

Fish_Stomper
10-31-2005, 11:00 PM
Hinrid,

Thanks for the info.
I was there in October and didn't have any problems with any submerged rocks. However, if indeed the water is lower I was thinking I could have a problem. I'll be going up in a week and I don't have a trim on my motor so I'll have to be extra careful. If the wind isn't blowing maybe I'll just use my electric trolling motor to get away from the dock.

FS

wkokaneeman
11-01-2005, 03:36 PM
FishStompper;

Approx. 30 to 60 yards straight out.just head out to one side or the other a bit.

Fish_Stomper
11-01-2005, 09:00 PM
wkokaneeman,

OK, thanks. I'll try to miss it when I launch. :)

Mickey_Thomas
11-02-2005, 05:17 AM
I think the best way is to take a right as soon as you can and head for the docks. When you reach the docks go along the outside for a while and then take your left towards the 5mph bouys and out.

Fish_Stomper
11-02-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks Mickey. I'll do as suggested hope the fish cooperate.

FS