PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Leaf

fishdude76
10-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Went out to Fallen Leaf on Sunday hoping to escape some wind, but due to northern(?) wind there were whitecaps all over the lake. *Got to boat lunch and they had already shut it down for the rest of winter I guess. *Casted out a few times from shore were there are usually some planted cutthroats and big browns but got nothing. *Couldn't see if anything was swimming around due to the chop and casting wasn't much easier.

Did they plant the lake this year? *

FD76

SierraSkier
10-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Hi Fishdude, they did indeed plant cutties, but that is all (to my knowledge), and they put up a cage that was supposed to keep the rainbows from spawning in the inlet creek. The lake will continue to be planted but only with native strain cut throats. Doc can probably give some of the details of the program.

I did talk with an old timer out there and he said some folks had good luck fast trolling plugs in front of the inlet.

The boat launch is being chained in an effort to control Eurasian watermilfoil. The ramp is to be chained during the hours the store is closed. The lake is clean, so people are trying to keep it that way. Hopefully the ramp will be opened to after hours use after we get a boat wash installed, we are trying to make that happen by next summer.

fishdude76
10-18-2005, 07:43 AM
SS,

So I'm guessing the boat launch is closed for winter along with the shop? I can't see the shop really staying open when all the boats were already pulled.

Last year we were catching planters off the west dock on almost every cast about this time. You could go out there about 30 mins before dark and catch them til dark. Lots of tagged ones some with 2 or 3 tags. Not sure what that was about and did catch about a 19" non tag.

Yes the inlet. I didn't really look to see if it was caged off or not, kinda forgot about it, but do remember it at spring time. Usually some big browns staging there at this time. But since the inlet was to a trickle they will probably wait until the rain hits and some water starts coming out. I've been there when there have been a pack of six or more staging and running in and out of the stream. You can stand on the rock and watch them. My buddies have caught 5lbs + on rainbow raps there. Usually first cast.

After hour use? Does that mean we get to stay out till prime time on those warmer months? We missed the 7pm curfew one night and have to leave the boat out there til morning. That kinda sucked. Wish we could have just fished it the whole night.

FD76

SierraSkier
10-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Fishdude, chaining that ramp was an unintended consequence of the milfoil thing up there. The homeowners up there supported it, probably because they want to keep the noise down, during the meetings, that was the primary concern anyway. So now a curfew like Caples. Hopefully that will all change when we get the boat wash put in, but I dont know, because the homeowners generally like the closure. I guess people get pretty rowdy at night sometimes.

I fish from a canoe, so it works well for me, but stinks for folks who have bigger boats. I am sorry this happened, but the lake is clean and we do want to keep it that way. Tahoe is just a mess with invasive weeds, so that is where the problem will come from.

fishdude76
10-19-2005, 07:27 AM
Then hopefully that boat wash will do the trick. I also have a single man pontoon I can launch out of the west side, but always funner fishing with buddies than alone. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

drstressor
10-19-2005, 07:40 AM
So they decided to go ahead with the boat wash anyway? Since Eurasian Milfoil is already in the lake, any new plants brought into Fallen Leaf on boats would only be a drop in the bucket compared to what's already there. I can never understand the logic of home owner organizations. It sounds like a case of closing the barn door after the horse is gone. But maybe it will slow the entry of other exotics.

The boat-wash and curfew will no doubt discourage many "outsiders" from using the lake.

SierraSkier
10-19-2005, 08:06 AM
Hi Doc, Lars Anderson did a survey of the lake and it came up completely clean. Then some divers went over to the dam area and they could only find native milfoil. Then a guy who is really pushing the boat wash there followed a boat from Tahoe Keys straight to Fallen Leaf, and he documented it well. TRPA is working through the permit right now and it looks like the wash will be installed. They are also going to be installed around Tahoe at some point. $$$. I think the wash is a great idea, I am the problem, I fish both lakes in the same day. I only hope washing will be on an honor system, but I doubt it, thats not how this stuff usually works.

On November 19th we are rolling out an aquatic invasive weeds management strategy at Ski Run Marina. The Tahoe Divers Conservancy has a team of volunteer divers who are going to hand pull Eurasian milfoil infestations around Tahoe. The only area that can not be hand eradicated is the Tahoe keys. The Keys are obviousely a bigger problem. It cost California State Lands $10,000 to treat a small patch in Emerald Bay. We are going to treat 2 acres for free, and the divers live here and are always available to work on the lake. Fallen Leaf and Echo Lakes will be monitored and treated when necessary.

drstressor
10-19-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm glad to learn that Fallen Leaf is still clear. I was pretty sure that I saw milfoil in Echo when I was up there in September. But I'm not familiar enough with the plants to distinguish native from invasive milfoil.