PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Lake Oregon

ITUKAWAL
09-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Well, come noon Thursday I'll be off to the beaver state and Diamond Lake ( Creater Lake area ). ;D ;DAll reports from the camp ground sound good and the lake is beginning to turn. 29 degrees at 6:00am this morning. 8) 8) I'll be hooking up with an old friend who I have not seen since a fishin trip to Belieze last year. Has anyone fished diamond lake this time of the year in the past. Good, Bad, Indifferent ??? ???

IT

vvbob
09-13-2005, 11:47 AM
ITUKAWAL
I have often thought about a trip to Diamond Lake. Read about it years (& I mean years!) ago & filed it away in "Places to go"
Be interesting to read your report when you get back.

Empire
09-13-2005, 12:33 PM
I grew up down the hill from Diamond Lake, so I spent many days on the water there. The fishing was fantastic.

There has been a tui chub infestation there in the last few years. ODFW tried putting kings in there, and planting bigger rainbows to try keeping the chub population under control. Attempts to control the chubs have not worked, so the lake is going to be poisoned.

It has been a while since I have been there, but the popular area is known as the "cheese hole." Follow the shoreline to the right as you leave the main lodge. You will find a concentration of boats off a point there.

Take a camera, the scenery is great!

Flipper266
09-13-2005, 12:33 PM
I fished Diamond Lake in the summer beofre. The campsites were amazing! Walk paths everywhere....
Summer skunk for us. We fished it early and still nada.

SuperDave
09-13-2005, 12:37 PM
Steve, doing a bit of a back search, looks like Hog Hunter3 has some stories he can share as well.

tdekens
09-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Fished Diamond Lake before this time of year. Flyfished it with a float tube and even trolled with my boat there. Loved the fly fishing. Used mostly what they call a Diamond Lake Special. Its a black wooly booger with gold wrapped around it. It works awesome and you can buy them there or tie some up before you go. Pretty Lake. Helluva mosquito problem if I remember right.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

drstressor
09-13-2005, 03:05 PM
As Empire said, they are going to poison Diamond next year after drawing it down to 20% of its present surface area this winter. The lake was poisoned back in the early 1950's to eliminate tui chubs that had been introduced by fishermen using them as bait. A great rainbow trout fishery was established soon after than. But chubs were illegally introduced again in the early '90's and they have ruined the lake. They out compete the small trout for available zooplankton and insects and they have expanded to such numbers that they now have summer algae blooms that muck up the whole lake (the chubs eat the zooplankton that would have grazed the algae). The usual "environmental" groups are opposed the the rotenone treatment even though it worked 50 years ago and allowed an outstanding fishery to be maintained for over 40 years.

Even though the lake is a mess compared to how it used to be, I've heard that there are a few very large rainbows still in there that have been gorging on the abundant chubs.

I look forward to your report. I've been to the lake but have never fished there myself.

hoghunter3
09-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Hinrid's right. I used to fish Diamond quite a bit. Empire's right about the "Cheese Hole". If you like "soaking bait" it the place to be. Last few times up there I've done way better trolling. Wooly's and crawlers behind blades have always worked. I also have had good luck with small apexes.
My favorite spot is an area called the "Shrimp Beds" just off the main weeds beds.
In fact there's a set of keys to my old boat in about 20 feet of water over there but that's a story for another day *;)
Doc, I sure hope they move foward with plans to poison.
This fishery has been in decline for more than 10 years. It was really something special in the late 80's and early 90's
Make sure you bring the camera. The setting is spectacular

ITUKAWAL
09-14-2005, 07:40 AM
Thanks guys. Camara is packed and batteries are charged 8) 8)Will report back next week.

IT

Ikan_Mas
09-14-2005, 07:02 PM
If the lake is too Chubbed out, there are lots of other places nearby to visit.

I, like Empire, grew up "down the hill". Some of my best memories of youth are the summer I spent at Union Creek with the YCC. Lots of good upper Rogue fishing. Climbed Mt. Thielson that summer. Saw the lightning strikes on the 100 square feet that make up the top of that lightning rod. Hiked the backwoods all around. Great place. ;D

Empire
09-15-2005, 05:28 AM
If the lake is too Chubbed out, there are lots of other places nearby to visit. *

I, like Empire, grew up "down the hill". *

There is a lake on the way to Diamond, called Lemolo Lake. It is much smaller than Diamond but has (or perhaps had)brown trout in it. Stop by if you get a chance.

As you drive Diamond Lake Highway, stop at Colliding Rivers Park. It is one of only 2 places in the world where two rivers collide in a direct path, naturally.

Another neat park, along the Umpqua river is Eagle Rock. It is a HUGE stone monolith that was put there by the Crater Lake volcano, MILES away.

My 1/50th of $1.

ITUKAWAL
09-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Well, it's 2 hours before launch. I talked to Jim up in Kennewick Washington and he was just pullin' away from his house. I'll be leaving El Dorado Hills at noon and guess it will be about 7 1/2 - 8 hours driving sanely. I've printed the thread and all of the great input from you guys - many thanks. Posts back to ya Monday. Have a safe and enjoyable weekend ;)