PDA

View Full Version : Slab Creek Res.

bltracer
08-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Anyone ever fish Slab Creek Res? I went for a quick ride today with the wife and the dog for a look. The road wasn't too bad down there, I think my little Jeep towing a 12 foot Gregor should be very easy going. We saw 100's of little guys at the "Ramp" and that was about it. Just from what I could see, it looks like it might be a great place to fish.

Post what ya know please!!!!!

BLTRacer

Eric_csus14
08-16-2005, 11:04 PM
Where is Slab Creek, never heard of it

Fishmeister
08-17-2005, 06:23 AM
There has to be some pretty decent fish in there but the only thing I have ever caught there is some huge squaw fish. Watch out for rattlers!!!

bltracer
08-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Slab Creek Res. is part of the South Fork of the American River. I believe the spillway from UVR finally ends up also. It is formed by a Dam just outside the town of Camino.

Went out this AM and tried the crawler behind a pink Dodger trick. Went down to 40 feet and nothing. Saw 1 other guy out, he had nothing also, went up river a bit and raised it to 15 feet and caught 3 Squawfish. There have got to be some monsters out there. just gotta find where...

Sierra_hillbilly
08-18-2005, 07:59 AM
That lake is full of squaw fish. Troll a red rooster tail on that lake top line for some squaw fish action. There are some trout in there but you really have to look for them. We need to throw some macks in there to eat up all the squaw fish. If you do catch sqauw fish throw them on the shore. They are useless and they eat the small trout.
S_h

khiameru
08-18-2005, 02:00 PM
I thought Squaws were protected or is that just in the delta?

Sierra_hillbilly
08-19-2005, 10:53 AM
I've never heard of them being protected. I know people who use them for striper bait.

khiameru
08-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Maybe someone else knows this but the squawfish is on the protected list in the reg. book. I'll bet doc would know

SierraSkier
08-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Hi folks, I am no Doc, but I can take a crack at this. *There are several species of squawfish. *In California there is the the Sacramento squawfish (Ptychocheilus grandis) and in the Colorado River drainages there is the Colorado Squawfish (Ptychocheilus lucius). *The Sacramento Squawfish has been identified as a major predator to coho salmon, and you can kill them at will. *If you catch a Colorado squawfish and kill it, you will lose your boat, truck and gear. *There are no protected squawfish in California, but do not kill one in a Colorado River tributary. The Colorado squawfish can grow to 48 inches though, bet that is a blast to catch. * The funny part of this is that both are minnows, really big minnows; but minnows none the less.

Now I have a question: Whats a minnow?

highlands
09-03-2005, 05:24 AM
bltracer, Which end of the lake did you enter? Pollock Pines or Camino?

motherlodefishn
09-03-2005, 07:18 AM
Bltracer,

Here's a couple of techniques that Ive used there that works pretty consistantly. One is go up to the forebay side @ the inlet and motor safety into the current and drift a night crawler with a split shot. Second is down by the dam, use a J7 Jointed black / silver rapala and cast towards the shore. Good luck

Regards,
Motherlodefishn

highlands
09-07-2005, 06:36 AM
Is there still a sign that says "No Trailers Allowed" at the dam access road?

The_Big_Sinus
09-07-2005, 09:33 AM
A "minnow" is the largest family of fish in terms of numbers of species- carp, shiners, squawfish, chub, Sacramento Blackfish, California Roach, Lahontan Redside, Speckled Dace, Hardhead- minnows, all of them.

Minnows pretty much universally feature relatively large scales, varying degrees of decurved lateral line, forked tails, no adipose fin and no teeth in the jaw (they do, however, have pharygeal teeth). Some have barbels, some do not.

One of the reasons squawfish thrive is that our rivers are pretty disturbed, as habitat goes. Lots of dams means they have a refuge from predators (lakes behind dams) and more warm water habitat than they would if it was strictly a stream. As a result, the squawfish tends to enjoy a competitive advantage over trout. If you really want to crimp the population, you'd have to put a species of fish in there that would reproduce more rapidly than trout do- largemouth bass, perhaps. Macks are segregated from squawfish by tempurature tolerance.

I don't really advocate just killing fish and throwing on the beach. Just a personal thing, tho'. The Sacramento Squawfish is not protected, and is not that hot snot as a fighter.

bltracer
09-07-2005, 09:44 AM
I went in at the Camino side near the dam. I go down on the Pollock Pines side to ride Quad's and pick black berries. I don't think my little 8HP on the Gregor can make it back to the shore if they have the water following there. I could drop in my Bayliner on the Pollock Pines side with an 85hp motor. Been busy lately opening the new Kragen store in Pollock Pines, but should start getting days off now that the rush is over. Might give it another go and head up as far as I can from the Camino side.

Mako
09-07-2005, 12:15 PM
I have caught a lot of smaller trout where the stream runs in. Also, on the road that is at the Dam on nightcrawlers. Nothing big though. I trolled it a few times and nothing !

Sierra_hillbilly
09-07-2005, 06:31 PM
OK here's the secret on Slab Creek. Go up by where the water runs into the lake. Where the current is just holding you when you motor up river. Troll a lake troll and a red rocket make by Ken's Tackle. Tip the red rocket with a worm. I hit them every time I'm there doing this. If you do catch fish please put them back there isn't alot of trout in that area so lets keep the fishing good.
S_h

Mickey_Thomas
09-07-2005, 06:48 PM
NOw you've done it Sierra H. I can see the line up of trucks and boats now ;) ;D ;D

Sierra_hillbilly
09-08-2005, 07:28 AM
It's okay Mickey because if we can draw the crowd away from my favorite lakes then me and you can fish with out any pressure ;)

medicrob
09-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Slab creek is in my neck of the woods. We entered from the forebay side in pollock pines and were fishing just down from the bridge. caught an extreme amount of planters after a recent plant and they would have eaten a bare hook. move down a mile or so and use flashers with a worm and you are good to go. good luck!!