PDA

View Full Version : new fishermen, new to the board

euge_415_w210
09-07-2005, 12:58 PM
i remember fishing with my father when i was kid. i really enjoyed the time we spent out, not catching anything. fast foward +/- twenty years and im just starting up again, like within the past couple months. im enjoying not catching anything all over again... well not much of anything is more accurate.

ive gone the usual city boy route. i live in sf and i dont have access to a boat, so of course lake merced was my first trip out. man, i really felt my age, not that im old or anything, but the bait shop was missing, the boat house wasnt there, along with most of the shoreline. regardless, ive been religiously going by at least two times a week with friends and the s/o. ive had very little luck. caught a bunch of little bass/trout?, about 4 inches long. im assuming bass, because the catchable trouts are usually a lot bigger, right?

well, ive made it out to a few places ive heard from other fishermen i run into. so far, ive gone to del valle where i tried off the shore near the picnic area. stafford lake, which had literally hundreds of little fishlings along the shore but i didnt get a single significant bite. nicascio (sp?) resv where there was constant action with bluegills and very small/young catfish (like four inches).

ive vastly improved my skills since i started. i got some PROPER equipment, very light tackle stuff, learned a few knots, and carry a hypodermic needle to puff up nightcrawlers while on a one of those rigs, not sure of the name but where you put a egg shaped weight with a hole in the middle before a swivle and attach a 12" long leader with small hook. ive been using this, onshore for trout along with some powerbait when im out of worms and a few different castmasters.

thanks to this heaven sent site, ive found some info like that they dont stock lake merced heavily until a bit later in the fall and other fishing holes nearby, along with some other rigs and other fishing options, though i think ill stick with catchable trout for the time being.

from what i see, lexington resv might be a place i might want to check out, along with parkway pond and lake chabot. any other places i can go and pretend to know how to fish? and tips on anything will but much appreciated. thanks.

AllFishNoWork
09-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Welcome to the boards! I'm not real familiar in that neck of the wooda, but there are alot of sniffers that are. The one suggestion I would make is to buy a copy of Fishing in California by Tom Stienstra. It has proven to be a very good source of information for me.

FishMischief
09-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Welcome!!! There are allot of fish to be caught from shore. This board is a great resoiurce to build your skills and find some fish.

I think you are on the right track. Start with planter rainbows and move on from there. The best way to start fishing is to fish where there are fish. I remember watching the DFG trout plant schedule and then determining what day they plant certain lakes. Then I could try new techniques where there are fish. It helps to know when you do something right you are rewarded with a fish. If there are no fish where your fishing then you never know if your doing something right or wrong.

Have fun and fish hard!

The_Big_Sinus
09-07-2005, 01:33 PM
It's tough for trout right now at lower elevations. You might consider San Pablo... But, honestly, if I'm not making the trek to the mountains, then I would probably go someplace like Lafayette Res and use worms under bobber for panfish, or maybe go surf fishing or see if I can't get on a salmon trip.

My own little fish oddessey of the last few years isn't so different from yours- it's how I wound up with about 2 dozen different rod/reel set-ups. You have to be able to do different stuff to keep a hand in.

FishMischief
09-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Found this on the General Freshwater Forum...

http://www.bayareafishing.com/basics.htm

Mickey_Thomas
09-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the boards euge_415-w21, maybe you can take a drive to an up country lake and fish there till the weather and cooler water makes the trout bite in the lower lakes. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll work it out just fine. 8)

AllFishNoWork
09-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Here are DFG plants for your area

The following waters, listed by county, are scheduled to receive catchable trout plants in CCR AUGUST & SEPTEMBER 2005:

AUGUST 29 - SEPT. 2 - NO PLANTS

SEPTEMBER 5-9

Contra Costa County: San Pablo Res.
Lake County: Upper Blue Lake
Mendocino County: Russian River East Branch
San Francisco County: Merced Lake North & Merced Lake South

SEPTEMBER 12-16

Alameda County: Del Valle Res.
Contra Costa County: Los Vaqueros Res. & San Pablo Res.
Mendocino County: Russian River East Branch

SEPTEMBER 19-23

Alameda County: Chabot Res. & Del Valle Res.
San Francisco County: Merced Lake North & Merced Lake South

SEPTEMBER 26-30

Alameda County: Chabot Res. & Del Valle Res.
Contra Costa County: Los Vaqueros Res.

troutfan
09-08-2005, 04:58 AM
If you want to accelerate your learning curve in regard to trout fishing you came to the right place. When you want to expand your horizons alittle we have a lot of good fishing in the Eastern High Sierras along US-395. I'll be happy to give you some hints.
Welcome aboard! ;D

euge_415_w210
09-08-2005, 07:57 AM
thanks for the warm welcome guys. thats alot of info to take in at once, but ive checked out most everything listed, except that book, which is on the way already via amazon.com ;D. dfg plants at lake merced have been very unnoticeable lately, but i guess ill just have to wait till cooler weather to get my after work fishing fix.

i was just out yesterday at lake merced after work. i guess i got all worked up after absorbing this site. fyi, buddy got one small bass, i was skunked except for those pesky small fish that look like gobies. (wheres our dfg plants?!?!??!)

i dont think i can wait till late oct to catch some trout. many of you mentioned to try out higher elevation lakes, any suggestion which ones? ill probably head up next weekend. thanks.

The_Big_Sinus
09-08-2005, 08:04 AM
I prefer the lakes up Hwy 88 (Silver, Caples, Red- and on out Hope Valley or back down to Lower Bear, Salt Springs, Tiger Creek, etc...), because it's a quick shot out 4 to 12 to 88 from Lafayette. From the City, I might consider Fuller Lake (off Hwy 20 just N of I-80)- if you treat it like a one-day ski trip, you should be fine. In fact, from the City, I would look at a DeLorme Atlas (for Norcal) and maybe ask around about a few lakes. Also, check the "Lake Maps" portion of the 'Sniffer site, there's good tips in there, and a lot of out of the way spots are covered in articles, too. Or, if you want to run out Sonora-way, up the Stan on Hwy 108- Beardsley, Pinecrest, Herring Cr. etc. Hwy 50 has some good spots, but it's a longer haul off the highway to get to most of the ones that are starting to cool off now.

Flipper266
09-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Hey 415,
You are also in a prime spot for pier fishing. There are tons of spots in your backyard that you can target to catch halibut, stripers, surfperch, sharks, rays, etc....
So if you dont want to do the 3+ hour drive and want to get your line wet check out some of the local piers.
pierfishing.com will point you in the right direction. Also the surf has a lot to offer . Pacifica is also a close destination for you. Check out the thread on surf stripes to get an idea what those guys catch.
Good luck!
And if you are heading for the long drive Upper Hat Creek is an awesome place to go. You will definately catch trout if you go there.