PDA

View Full Version : what is your favorite spinning reel.

ratss427
08-21-2005, 03:17 PM
we have discussed trolling and linecounter reels before.but what is your favorite light or ultralite spinning reel.looking to upgrade a few of my tired reels .and was wondering what the hot new reels were.or if the oldies but goodies are still the favorites. :)

fishmasterfred
08-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Well its not a new model by any means but one of my favorites : Shimano Areo Symetre 1000.
I own several and have had zero problems with them.
SS/FMF

Sierra_hillbilly
08-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Shimano here also. Thier reels are awsome. I have fought a 8 lb steelhead on a shimano 1000

PickLeNose
08-21-2005, 05:16 PM
I guess I am a throw back, lol
My ultra light is a garcia mitchel 308, my medium is a 304 and my heavy hauler <g> is a 300. All of these are at least as old as I am and I have several others for parts and extra spools

I have tried others but they just dont feel the same to me

drstressor
08-21-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm a throwback also. I fished today with a Michell 308 and a 300. Both on fiberglass, not graphite composite rods. My 5 ft Garcia noodle rod and the 308 were purchased in 1964. I got the 300 in the '80's to replace one that had been eaten up by saltwater. The rod is a nice Browning glass retro piece that brings me right back to the 1950's.

I realize that this information is of absolutely no value. But hey, you asked. ;D

The newer rigs are far superior to what I use. But fishing is supposed to be a challenge, right? ;)

Rusty_Hooks
08-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Another throwback...Mitchell 308, 304 and quick finessa and super

Had them all since the mid 60's.....my 5.5 ultra with the 308 has seen everything from bass, pickrel, saltwater bait rod, and lots of stream trout. It has a worn groove in the cork handle....

Lost the finessa some time ago but it had the balance of the mithchel 300....

we'll stop with those ::)

AllFishNoWork
08-22-2005, 03:35 AM
I use a Mitchell 300X, 2002ish. I forget whether I got it at Wal*Mart or Cabelas, but it was about $25-30

GCinGV
08-22-2005, 06:37 AM
I like the Penn SS series and the Diawa BG (Black and Gold).
GC

Flipper266
08-22-2005, 06:43 AM
Michell also....300....old as I am. ;D

ratss427
08-22-2005, 03:59 PM
jeez :o looks like i may be sticking with what i have.have a couple of 308s.a couple penns and an aero symetre .maybe i might just stay put with what i have. :)

Hiking-Jay
08-23-2005, 01:58 PM
About a year and a half ago I switched to the Shimano Sahara and I've been quite pleased. In fact I have both the 1500 for trout and the 2500 for bass/surf fishing and I'm considering picking up the 4000 model for salmon fishing.

Ikan_Mas
08-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Just to be different, try for an ultralight 5.5' pole an Okuma AV-15. For the 6 and 7' poles use an Okuma AV-20. Both run $34 retail, but I have bought them on sale at G.I. Joes in Oregon for $28. Very smooth. ;D

johnbfishin
08-23-2005, 08:51 PM
I don't even know off the top what is on my poles....if it's bright and shiny, has the ratio I like and fits the budget I buy it. When it wears out I buy another one...sometimes I buy one just for fun.
Shimano's have done me well overall I'd say.

kstone44
08-23-2005, 11:15 PM
I also really like the Shimanos, the 2500 Sahara is really nice for the money, but for longevity you can't beat the Mitchell 300 series reels I still have 2 of the 300, a 300A and I believe a 400 series all still attached to model sp 1100 6 1/2 ft ugly sticks (they had a tremendous spool capacity as well). You just couldn’t kill those reels they survived my youth when I would swim and fish out in the lake with the reel under water half the time while I struggled to stay afloat and fish the shoreline at the same time.
Just did a web search for the 400 series and you should see what these people are selling these reels for , I didn't think they were collectable, I can't be that old yet ???

http://antiquefishingstuff.com/reels.html

RIVER_RAT
08-24-2005, 05:06 AM
I have Shimano and Quantum rear drags on my go to poles, I like the rear drag, I can feal notches as I turn it and have a better idea of how much I've changed it. but thats just me.

two_lines
08-24-2005, 05:57 AM
Kevin, thanks for the link. I never would have guess my old cardinal 4 was worth that much money. ;D

Rusty_Hooks
08-24-2005, 09:22 AM
I also really like the Shimanos, the 2500 Sahara is really nice for the money, but for longevity you can't beat the Mitchell 300 series reels I still have 2 of the 300, a 300A and I believe a 400 series all still attached to model sp 1100 6 1/2 ft ugly sticks (they had a tremendous spool capacity as well). You just couldn’t kill those reels they survived my youth when I would swim and fish out in the lake with the reel under water half the time while I struggled to stay afloat and fish the shoreline at the same time.
Just did a web search for the 400 series and you should see what these people are selling these reels for , I didn't think they were collectable, I can't be that old yet ???

http://antiquefishingstuff.com/reels.html

Holy S__T...I had no idea....I'm sitting on a gold mine

and I've been out digging in the hills for gold...

You wouldn't believe what I have in my tackle boxes :o

its time to UPGRADE....heh..heh...

It's long overdue time to upgrade ;D ;)

DC
08-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Shimano! High end S-R Concept reels like Stella and Sustain are excellent reels. (I have them both). However, if you ever run across a Japanese Shimano spinning reel called the "Ultegra", give the 2500 model a try. For the price, (I paid 85.00) it's a damn good lite to medium duty reel. I really like the "oil port" feature found on all of the above...just remove a screw on the side plate, squirt some oil in the hole and all the moving parts are lubricated. I highly recommend any of the above reels.

jetfishn
08-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Up to a couple yrs ago I was a vintage tackle fisherman, I was using for yrs several 80's black metal bodied Shakespeare Sigma 025,030,035 spinning reels and loved them, but got too hard to replace them, so I recently made the leap into Okuma, year before last I bought two Okuma 10 brg Epixor EF-15 ultralights and have had zero problems with them fishing the high country, silver finish is a bit frail on them but no complaints to speak of, smooth, trouble free operation for two seasons anyway. I use em on 5ft and 5ft 6in ugly stiks. These are my ultralite trout outfits and I use em for smallmouth bass in the Feather river also.

ken_fishnfool
08-25-2005, 04:28 PM
I like Diawa but they keep discontinueing my favorites ("SS"-series, UL-7,then the one after that...)!
I did buy one of the smallest Okumas and love the drag (it sets up exactly where I want it) and the anti-reverse has NO backlash. We'll see how I like it after another couple of years.
Those Diawas did last a looong time.
I still have my Michell on my old glass Eagle Claw 6' but they are showing their age (like I am).
Shimanos are alright but a little too heavy for my poles.

Duzwatido
08-25-2005, 08:31 PM
My Shimano Stella is great, but my little Sedona on my ultra light is a great reel.

Empire
08-26-2005, 05:31 AM
I grew up spinning a Mitchell 300, one of the old French made ones. I bought a new Mitchell 300 for $20 at WS, and it is a piece of junk. Then the 300X came out, I bought one and it is great, so I bought each of my kids one.

Wise-Man
08-26-2005, 09:06 AM
love this one:
The image “http://www.storesonline.com/images/common/imagewrap.img?pihttp://www.storesonline.com/images/common/imagewrap.img?picture.image.url=http://www.storesonline.com/members/490086/uploaded/president-spinning-reel.jpg&picture.width.max=200 "

mighty_bite
08-26-2005, 09:15 AM
I have been using the Okuma Epixor eb 30 and 50 live bait system reels from shore and boat for over a year and they are worth it ;D.The 2nd drag on these bait runner type reels lets you go from free spool to any drag pressure at a flick of a lever without touching your main drag setting with a closed bail.The drag system is sweet,under the worse ice fishing conditions these reels didn't studder at all ;D.Just like everything else the good stuffs not cheap.

fishsearch
08-26-2005, 09:20 PM
I just upgraded one of my spinning outfits to a Shimano Sahara 2500. It's a smooth reel and worth the investment. I noticed Shimano spinning reels seem to have lower bearing count than other manufacturers (like Okuma, Pfleuger, Penn, etc.) but seem to work fine. My preference is front-drag reels.

For more budget minded folks, I also use the Okuma Avenger 30 (not sure if AV30 is a newer model or just one with graphite body - mine is all aluminum/metal) with 6 bearings. Smooth reel for about $39. I also have a Penn Captiva CV4000. It's ok for a spininng reel, although I find the quality to be not as solid as Shimano or Okuma or Pleuger reels. (Just my personal observation and preference.)

For my 5' ultralite trout/panfish rods, I run with Quantum Xtralite (sp?) reels. They are small but come with a surprisingly durable drag when I hook up with a decent size trout or catfish here and there. With 4lb line, I brought in a 5lb catfish without any problems.

If I fished weekly, I probably would invest in more expensive equipment. So far so good with my equipment.