PDA

View Full Version : Trophy plants at Silver

khiameru
08-03-2005, 09:07 AM
DFG planted some nice trout in silver. saw an 8 lb rainbow with its tail worn down caught on sat. I picked up a tagged planter for 10 bucks also picked up a fishing license out of the water while trolling.I mailed that to the person who lost it. Then took a drive to upper blue lakes on Sunday and found a tackle box on the side of the road full of tackle. It turned out to be a lucky weekend for me. If you stop by the Dam maybe you can still see some of the big fish they planted in there.

GN.
08-03-2005, 04:17 PM
My boss showed us a picture of a 27in. rainbow with a worn tail that he caught a few weeks back at Silver lake. I bet it was one of the ones that DFG planted.

freddy45
08-03-2005, 07:49 PM
thanks for the report! That was very nice of you sending the license back to it's owner.

fisherman_jim
08-03-2005, 07:59 PM
I fished Silver Today.
We caught and released fish all over the lake. I did not see any tagged fish, but C/L'd more than twenty nice sized rainbows.
One planter we released was picked up by the Bald Eagle that roosts in the dead pine on Treasure Island. The guy I took along Today had never seen anything like that in his life. He couldn't stop talking about it all the way back to Sacramento.
Good Times...

Fisherman Jim

SierraSkier
08-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Nice Jim, love a trip that creates life long memories.

badbobfishing33
08-04-2005, 09:56 AM
They also planted caples thursday last week...we trolled sunday did not see much action got three all day only one good one....no "trophies"

fishjon
08-04-2005, 11:28 AM
What's working up at Silver Lake right now? *I'm headed up there for the weekend.

khiameru
08-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Well I caught my $10 fish on an orange and chrome kastmaster *behind willow leaf flashers (yes thats right) and we couldn't keep them off a crawler/dodger All the while trolling just off the bottom for bigger fish, Had 2 takedowns on the "deep" rod but lost both at the back of the boat

roswalt
08-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Dolphinwalker, thanks for the great report I will second that atta boy for sending home the licence i have lost mine before early in the year too...it suck's because you still have to re-purchace all the stamps even if you have saved your replacement copy...nice people do this kind of thing that you've done!!

I have tomorrow off am thinking about taking my 5 Y/o son. up there, ? please how deep are they were you using a downrigger ?
thanks,
-fishable

fishjon
08-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Sounds good. How deep were you finding them?

khiameru
08-04-2005, 12:32 PM
I was fishing for the planters at 18ft and following the bottom with my other downrigger It will be great fun for the 5 year old!!! Its alot cooler up there also :)

roswalt
08-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Many thanks Dolphinwalker! cooler is better for sure..I'll post results and hopefully some kid/fish pics. next Monday..

thanks again,
-fishable

JFH
08-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Is it worth fishing from shore?

khiameru
08-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Alot of people fish Silver from shore, I think they do just fine You can see some of the big Trout they put in there from the Dam and you can fish from there also. I was thinking of trying frozen shad from there but never did.

khiameru
08-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Hey fishable how did you do ?

Weez
08-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Frozen shad would be illegal, as they are a freshwater fish. You can use frozen anchovies or sardines. Dead saltwater fish are legal in freshwater lakes where bait is permitted in California.

I fished with clients on Caples last week and we caught loads of 12 to 14 inch rainbows toplining dodgers and flashers with crawlers and kokanee corn, but we also caught a 7 pound rainbow downrigging a large Rapala with Pro-Cure scent first thing in the morning. We thought we were fishing for mackinaw; go figure.

roswalt
08-09-2005, 08:10 AM
Hey Dolphinwalker,
I posted on a new thread "Silver Lake" last night, we did great! I would love to be able to go fish there during the week day all the time, just not enough vacation day's in the year tho....I forgot to mention that we did get 3 on sunday with a rainbow broken back @ 20ft. out in front of Kit Carson....
we will be going again soon...
thanks again for your help.

khiameru
08-09-2005, 11:08 AM
I guess I wasn't thinking but shad is a fresh water fish. I guess I won't be using them.

padrino
08-09-2005, 12:28 PM
using shad to fish depends upon the specific lake. generally any lake east of highway 49 does not allow shad, the foothill lakes are fine. but always check the specific lake for the real rules.

kevin 'padrino'