PDA

View Full Version : Carson River

fishnhockey
08-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Hello to all. *I was just wondering if anyone has any info. on the carson (east or west), I'll be heading up the 14th for 4 days. *We were up there the middle of July and both were moving REALLY good, more than I've seen in the last 15 years at this time. *Just wondering if anyone's been out there.
Thanks!

BassFooler
08-04-2005, 01:21 PM
This is the first year of MANY that I havent been to the Carson by now- I look forward to see the responses. :D

FishMischief
08-04-2005, 01:42 PM
I have been interested in the carson this year, never fished it.

Looking forward to some reports and tips here as well.

Weez
08-04-2005, 06:35 PM
West Carson- low and clear, good near the bridges (stocking points) when they plant 'em; tons of pull-em-out pressure there though. For harder work and better fishing try rock-hopping and fishing the bigger buckets downstream from Hope Valley in Woodfords Canyon. Dry fly with a dropper, or go finesse with spinning gear. A single salmon egg on a tiny hook with a small splitshot on four-pound-test is good. We are almost beyond the window of opportunity for casting spoons and spinners in most situations.

East Carson, still some places to dredge a Panther Martin or soak a 'crawler on the roadside section. Big story is fly fishing the catch-and-release stretch- lots of action and plenty of 3, 4, and 5 pound rainbows top test your fly fishing skills. Lures with the barbs pinched down will get a few, but flies will get more, and every day as the river drops lower and clearer, this trend will only strengthen.

JFH
08-04-2005, 07:24 PM
I'm heading up to the East Fork on Saturday. Is it a tough river to wade? I'm bring my son to expose him to stream fishing. How has it been in the past drifting mini crawlers?

fishnhockey
08-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Rock hopping is the only way to go, pulled a 4 lb out that way last year! Always had great luck with eggs, and spinners. Amazing how quick the levels drop.
As for wading the E., don't know the levels now, but normally u can and don't need anything but some tevas, it gets really hot up that canyon! There are places that are calmer than others, but my daughter loves to play in that river when the levels are low.
It's a beautiful river and if you get away from the bridges you hardly ever see anyone else, very easy road access too, can't wait for our trip, glad to hear the water is down a little from where it was!

fishnhockey
08-04-2005, 09:05 PM
realized i probably should have asked how old your son was as to the question of wading. heading up towards wolf creek has always treated me well, worms can work, they really like potsky's, and i rarely have luck with power bait. The E. is open enough for lures and is excellent fly fishing. Hope that helps. The 2nd bridge past markleeville has some monsters, never caught one, but seen plenty people walkin' the road with their prized planters! Good luck, and make sure to post how it was!

fishnhockey
08-04-2005, 09:37 PM
just had to share that someone caught a 10lb 3 oz trout in the e. carson on the 30th of july! and that was after it was cleaned!!! lots of big fish being taken according to the guys up there, also very crowded!

DomD
08-04-2005, 10:32 PM
I was at the west carson on the 30th, and it was low and clear in the meadow/valley. I was lucky enough to view the 10 lber mentioned above. The guy was traveling west on 88 showing it off. All I can say is WOW :o

Earlyo
08-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Was up on the E. Carson in Mid July and going again in two weeks. Flow was nice for this time of year and wading is no problem. The big one eluded me so I am going back but there are a lot of pan size fish out there. I primarily use salmon eggs drifting them. Have to try a panther martin in the deeper holes!

wolfden
08-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Fished the West Fork Saturday and C&R 8 small pan sized Rainbows and did manage to pull a 6 pounder out Saturday morning and then a 7 1/2 pounder out in the evening.
The water is low and clear and I worked the deep hole away from all the bridge pressure, it was like a zoo around the bridges but if you get to the places away from the crowds there are some nice fish in there

nrvi
08-08-2005, 06:47 AM
Has anyone made the hump from the airport east of the reservoir down to the east carson? What is the water/crowds like? Thanks

JFH
08-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks for all the info last week. Wanted to update all of you on my Father-son getaway. Left Sat. morning from Sacto up to the E. Carson with my 16 yr. old son. Started right away cathching 8-12" trout, using eggs. Then decided to hike a ways to deeper pools and less traffic. Started catching better quality fish on eggs, mini-crawlers and panther martin spinner(Gold Blade with Black Body). My son caught the largest of the day- 23" rainbow. All told probably caught 40 fish. Decided to stay the night and go again. My son with in the first hour hooks into his biggest trout ever- 26" on a mini crawler. Fished until noon and head for home. Sundays take 8 fish with my son's trout of a lifetime. At least for now. He asked me on the way home when can we come back. Thanks again EVERYONE!!!

fishnhockey
08-08-2005, 09:09 PM
wow, thanks for all the great reports!

what's the fishing like below the lakes? i've always fished below the bridges, never up above the meadow, just curious.

troutslayer
08-09-2005, 05:24 AM
Just so u all know the Carsons are stocked with fish up to 10 lbs and last year in September I C&Rd 8 7 to 8 lber right by the resort. This was right after they did there stocking from collecting recyclables. Kept 1 that looked like a small Salmon.
Fishing below the airport by Indian Valley res is great.
Just watch for bears.
Also last year the county stocked Rainbows,browns and Brooks.
I'll have to look up the gents name who does the stocking for the county and post it for all. Hes a great guy to talk to and he knows some good cutthroat fishing around Red lake.
Living in Southern California and I'm going to make the trip up there soon.
The area Mark mentioned sounds like a good starting point for me cause I've only just passed by it.
Thanks to all for the reports keep them coming.
Salomon eggs and if the water is up heavier panther martins work the best.Haven't tried flys yet.
peace
troutslayer 8)