PDA

View Full Version : Lure colors  -vs- Depth

stagger_lee
07-23-2005, 07:31 PM
I know this information is out there ,but I will ask again.What colors do fish see from the best to the worst and from the shallowest to the deepest ?

Budman
07-23-2005, 08:40 PM
Copy this and put it in your boat...:

http://www.fishontario.com/articles/spectrum-fishing/visibility.html

stagger_lee
07-24-2005, 06:24 AM
Perfect info! Nice graphic!Thank you much BUDMAN :)

Farrier_Frank
07-24-2005, 06:42 AM
Yeah, that's a good one Budman. I just put it in a folder. Thanks.

The_Big_Sinus
07-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Remember this acronym- ROYGIB

It's wavelength of the colors... *Red goes first in water, depth depending on clarity, then Orange, Yellow, Green, Indigo (purple), Blue- I might have indigo and green mixed up, but it doesn't matter (read on).

White and black always show as white and black if there is ambient light. *Gold gets dull quite a bit quicker with depth than silver does, and presumably copper gets "dull" even shallower.

Here's the problem, though- contrast. *In other words, at depth everything looks blue, so if your lure looks blue, too, will it actually show against the background?

Another consideration is flourescent colors. *They are called flourescent because when light hits the pigments in the paint, it energizes electrons in the chemical compounds that make up the pigment, so it actually radiates the color. *Flourescent yellow ("chartruese") will actually appear plain yellow at depth, because it giving off yellow light... *Excellent contrast to a blue or green and dim background, I should think. *It's my belief that "koke bugs" work so well because of the "red herring" effect. *The kokes are active and feeding, so even though the koke bug doesn't really resemble any thing they eat, they can see it rather well.

The depths the color of the lure becomes "extinct", and what colors things appear depends on clarity, and "staining". *In other words, you see see red much deeper in Lake Tahoe than on a steelhead stream in "prime" green water condition. Also, you have to bear in mind that colors morph in different ways- red turns do black, but yellow turns to some shade of grey. To get a rough idea of how that works, I suggest looking at colorful pictures on your wall in the early pre-dawn light as the sun comes up. That's kind of how colors will look to the fish both in dim light, and at depth... Kind of...

Anyway, just thought I'd shed some light on color. *;)

Budman
07-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Thanks, Big. That little essay goes into my boat also.

piscolabis
07-24-2005, 08:47 PM
It's ROY G BIV (red,orange,yellow,green,blue,indigo,violet) 100% guaranteed. :)
Tom

The_Big_Sinus
07-25-2005, 07:40 AM
Yer right. To be honest, I focus on the ROY, because blue, violet and green contrast so poorly with the ambient light at depth... I use green lures sometimes, but that's about it. If I'm going really deep, I tend to go with something either shiny (silver) or flat (pearl or white)...