PDA

View Full Version : UVR 7/18-7/21

fishguts
07-22-2005, 04:51 PM
This was my first trip to UVR and first let me say how nice the camping was at Yellowjacket. The camp hosts are really wonderful and kept on top of everything going on in the camp which made it quite relaxing and quiet.
Now my report.
Monday evening 4 hours... The big P.U. fished the dam, sunset and the inlet pipes. Saw a couple really small trout come in on some boats. Tried everthing in my box.
Water temp was 75. Not graphing many fish, son caught some bass throwing a gold kastmaster from shore.
Tuesday morning 5:30-1000am. The big P.U. water temp 74.
Skiers on the water at 0700.
Wednesday morning 5:30-1030am. Sunset point, finally started graphing loads of fish from sunset point to the dam at 47 feet over 185-200 feet, graph was ready to explode there were so many fish lighting up, water temp 73.5. Dropped lines at that depth, came up with one 12 inch rainbow on a pink sockeye slammer and brass/pink dodger and a fiesty 15 1/2 inch Kokanee on a blue bug with a night crawler on it. I was getting creative and desperate. Bent over boat to wash hands, fell out and was hanging on as it was moving, water skiers came by did not stop to help, managed to climb back in and return to camp safely. Was alone this time since partner (son)decided to sleep in. No fishing boats in the area at the time. Kokanee for dinner. Talked to some gentelmen trailering their boat said they got some "fish" at 25 feet.
Thursday morning 6:00-11:00 Started at Sunset point, picked up one trout, 11 inches at 45 feet on a blue humdinger. Trolled to the inlet pipes again graphing mega fish all the way there, started to enter the opening to the pipes just past the launch ramp and my son picked up a nice and fiesty 15 inch koke on a blue humdinger tipped with a night crawler at 29 feet. By now we were on our third round of trying everything in the tackle box.
Picked up a 13 inch trout in the same area, same depth on a red and pink bug with a night crawler on it. Couple more boats trolling in the area saw a few small trout come up. Then the water skiiers decided the rest of the lake wasn't enough and started in the same area. Got some light sprinkles just after sunrise.
Yeah, I would go back there again even if the fishing was slow. Enjoyed the afternoon bicycling, going off into the forest and doing some target shooting, swimming, evening rides around the lake etc. Figure I will get it dialed in sooner or later.
I thought the kokes were a nice treat since they were real fiesty but the trout were just hanging on half dead.
Joe P.

Finesse
07-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Glad to see your still here with us :o very scary situation im sure. i mean whatya think would have happened if you couldnt get ahold of the boat?..yeh i don't even want to think about that one. anyway glad to see you made the best of the trip and caught a few fish while you were at it ;D

Tight Lines!
Sean

freon
07-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Fishguts, I tie a rag halfway up my fish stringer and toss it in the water whether I have a fish on my stringer or not so that I always have a wet rag to wash my hands and it constantly washes itself, and you dont usually have to go swimming for it ;D
What a scary situation, glad you shared so that others can see how serious it is out there by yourself.
Freon

fishguts
07-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Sean and Freon, thanks for your well wishes and yes it was scary. I did share it so others will learn from my mistake and come home alive. Usually I have a rag I dip in the water but didn't this time, I didn't have on a life jacket and have been simply lazy about that so as embarrassing as it was to tell the story I know someone else will benefit from my mishap.
Fortunately it was on a lake and the swim wouldn't have been far and the boat was pointed to the bank so if I couldn't climb back in, I could have hung on and waited until it got close and let go then swim to it. And the water was warm. I think I am going to look into extending the length of the kill switch cord to attach to me so when I am working in the back of the boat alone and should this ever happen again it will pop off and kill the motor before it kills me.
Joe P.

AllFishNoWork
07-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Memo to AllFish...Stay in the boat.

Glad to hear you are ok. I reach over to wash my wands countless times during the day.

fishguts
07-23-2005, 09:15 PM
It only takes one time and oops, you are hanging on trying to figure out what to do.

GN.
07-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Fishguts,

You were lucky you were able to get a hold of the boat. I'm glad it worked out for the best in the end.

There is something else you should watch out for while in your boat. One of my friends was in the coast guard and he said the USCG compiled the statistics and found that something like 87% of all male bodies they recovered from the water had their zipper down. You can guess what the last thing they were doing was. Be careful when relieving yourself. You could get more than you bargained for.

Farrier_Frank
07-24-2005, 05:07 AM
;D ;D That's some interesting information fish-n-again. Pee buckets help prevent falling overboard and should be a stock item on all small boats, just like life jackets. ;)

fishguts
07-24-2005, 08:13 AM
My zipper was up, think I will grab a pee bottle to put in the boat the next time I work. ;D

Empire
07-24-2005, 10:18 AM
That must have been scary to find yourself in the drink. Good thing the water was warm and not just "iced out."

I have come close a couple of times. I am not sure what I would do if I fell all the way in. My luck I would be holding onto the side of the boat and both rods would go down.

fishrman4life
07-24-2005, 01:48 PM
I like ur little saying on the bottom...much more serious now though...could be life or death