PDA

View Full Version : EAGLE LAKE

FISHSTALKER
07-12-2005, 02:59 PM
The wife, Dog and I spent the weekend at Eagle. All I can say is BIG WIND and white caps. Saturday was ugly and it made the fishing real tough. The hot colors remain to be floresent orange and watermelon. Small baits like needle fish do the job . Others say that in a pinch, break out the worms. The fish are moving off to deeper water. VHF reports were spotty and there was only one Sniffer on the Lake. ME! The fish cleaning station at the marina is out of order. Not a lot of people there so lauch was easy and slips are plentiful.
We were so tired by Sunday we didn't go out. We trailered the boat and came home.
I will say that I don't recommend staying at the Inn at Spaulding. The rooms are striped. No TV's or Telephones. I read it is up for sale again.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Hpim0134.jpg

Mickey_Thomas
07-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Sounds like a tough weekend but at least you got up there. Looks like you need a big camper so you can haul your house with you ;) There's satelite hook-ups at Spaulding campgrounds 8)

FISHSTALKER
07-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Mick - I've been shopping three States for months know for the right Camper. Missed a good one by a couple of days. They don't stay on the market very long and the prices are rediculous.
Spaulding camp grounds are pretty good.

Mickey_Thomas
07-12-2005, 04:58 PM
That's right about shopping for campers, when I found mine I called and went down and brought it the same day. The guy kept getting calls for a month after I got it ;) can you say "priced it to low"? ;D

gfishes
07-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Eagle was great Saturday in the morning...anyone interested in a camper...Lance...check the classifieds in the near future or pm me...gfishes.

Fisean
07-13-2005, 07:55 AM
Hey I was there the whole weekend ???...but you were right I wasn't there on the 12th. We left Monday. Had limits by 7-9am everyday Friday-Monday! Hot lure for us was a special grub that guide Tim Noxon turned us on to. We were fishing the Youth Camp area and south of Pelican point. Lost a nice one at the boat pushing 4 pounds Sunday :-/. I also picked up a couple on a rainbow runner red/white. Seemed the fish were kinda scattered, we'd get 'em at 10' late in the day and on top (no downrigger) earlier. Hey is that your boat in the pic? Liquid something? can't remember the name...but looked very nice! We stayed in a cabin near spaulding...I would ditch the camper and get a cabin!

Don
07-13-2005, 11:27 AM
I pull my boat behind my 5th wheel, But for the price I agree with Fiseam.Leave the trailer home and rent a cabin.I can't pull my rig there for that price. :-/
Don

C-hawk
07-14-2005, 10:22 AM
:oFisean,

I'm somewhat surprized at your report of catching fish on top and at 10'. I have always heard and read in books that Eagle lake is limited to fishing the deep end on the bottom during the summer. " Usually by July the water has warmed up enough so that most of the fish have headed for the deeper southern portion of the lake and are out of reach of the fly-line angler" ... Fly Fishing California Stillwaters by Bill Sunderland. 10 feet is well withing the fishing range of a fly fisherman.

I have always fished it in the fall and prefer to fly fish. I would like to hear more about your experiences at Eagle during the summer months.

C-hawk
07-17-2005, 09:21 PM
:-/ No contributions, so maybe the books are right, it slows down in the summer.

BITE_ME_II
07-17-2005, 09:30 PM
C-hawk! Eagle can be and is still one of the best summer lakes in Nor Cal, you just need to fish early a.m. and down 10-30 feet deep get your fish early and take a nap...

BITE ME II
8) 8)

FISHSTALKER
07-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Fisean - Yup! That's my boat. The white one. It says Motion Marine.

Guys - Bare in mind the better half was with me and early for her is 7AM. And I was really pushing it to get her out that early. Plus she don't fish. :-/ I sent out a couple of Sniffer calls on the VHF radio but received no replys.

I found masses of fish in two groups along the east side from the surface all the way down to 60'. I did pick up some very big arches there.

Ken - I'm happy to see you back making reports.

Fisean
07-22-2005, 10:32 PM
:oFisean,

I'm somewhat surprized at your report of catching fish on top and at 10'. *I have always heard and read in books that Eagle lake is limited to fishing the deep end on the bottom during the summer. *" Usually by July the water has warmed up enough so that most of the fish have headed for the deeper southern portion of the lake and are out of reach of the fly-line angler" ... Fly Fishing California Stillwaters by Bill Sunderland. * 10 feet is well withing the fishing range of a fly fisherman.

I have always fished it *in the fall and prefer to fly fish. *I would like to hear more about your experiences at Eagle during the summer months.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this...Fishstalker I don't have a VHF Nice Motion Marine boat, gotta get both (radio and motion marine boat)!!. And yes, the first day we fished the south end and marked fish a bit deeper running riggers at 17-25 feet. But fish at 10' was the ticket the next 3 days. We were near the youth camp primarily and off the south end of Pelican point. The water isn't much deeper than 30'. But I think with the late summer and the cooler temps the fish were a little slow moving to the south end (I guess)
For fly fishing..I would wait until Oct-Nov...... Catch ya later

FISHSTALKER
07-23-2005, 05:12 AM
Val's posts a Map with most locations named. I found this very helpful. Other Maps were weak with identification. Click on the Map to enlarge.

http://eaglelakefishing.info/Library/Eagle%20Lake%20Map.jpg