PDA

View Full Version : Silver Lake 7/17

fisherman_jim
07-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Decided to escape the heat Sunday. We got a late start, but managed to get easy limits at Silver lake in the evening.
After hiking down Silver Creek to the Potholes for a refreshing afternoon swim with the Family, I took two of the Grandkids out for some evening fun in the boat.
We drifted mini crawlers with a single split-shot along the bottom in 20-40 ft of water and quickly picked up a nice assortment of trout, including a small Mackinaw.
We also enjoyed watching an Osprey and a Bald eagle, who were both catching as many trout as we were.

Silver Lake is close to full, with snow melt still coming in. Very Little water is being let out at this time.

Fisherman Jim

YakMotor
07-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Hi Jim
I'm headed for Silver Lake within next few days and would love to get a sighting of the eagle and osprey. I'll have a new little digital camera for shots of scenery and, if I get lucky, for fish. But, if there's a good chance of seeing the birds I'll have my camcorder in the kayak fully charged and ready to roll! Forget fishing if I can "catch" them flying! It's been many years since I've been to Silver Lake. I'm not familiar with it at all and, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

highlands
07-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Yak, There are also osprey and bald eagles at Icehouse resevoir. The eagles are usualy on the south side of the lake sitting in a dead pine tree (before the narrows).

GN.
07-20-2005, 07:02 PM
It's always great to take kids out fishing. especially if the catch the fishing bug and become hooked for life. Then you will always have a fishing partner.I saw a bald eagle and several other birds that I thing might be a osprey at Union Valley on Sunday. It's awesome watching them catch fish. The bald eagle picked up a rainbow trout I had just realeased. If you are going to Silver lake you should stand a very good chance of seeing birds catching fish. I was there a couple of weeks ago and saw two birds catch fish. As far as fishing goes I love that lake. I've been there many times. The standard setup there for me is flashers with a half a nightcrawler about 18in. behind. I don't usually have to get creative to catch the fish there. I just troll around until I find where they are that day.

fisherman_jim
07-21-2005, 08:10 AM
The Bald eagle roosts in a large dead pine tree on the west side of the cove where the inlet is. It is almost directly across the lake from Kay's.
I have seen the Osprey nesting in the tree on Treasure Island, which is the big island toward Plasse's resort.

I have also seen Bald eagles at Caples this year. It's interesting, I have been fishing this area for over 50 years and only have seen Eagles in the last 5 years or so.
It is an awesome site!!

Fisherman Jim

red_perception
07-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Hello from Lake Tahoe, hey Mark where do you live? I live in Stateline, Nevada at Lake Tahoe. I also fish out of my 9 foot Perception/Swifty kayak.(no electric or gas motor or fish finder!) Fallen Leaf Lake and Tahoe both have Bald Eagles and Osprey. Man, are they beautiful birds!!! Went out this morning before work, had a 20 inch, 2 pound Mack in the boat before 6 am. What a way to start the day! June 20'th caught an 11.5 pound Mack!(my 7'th fish this year and my biggest) Anyway we should get together and do some fish'n. TAHOOOE, Eric

YakMotor
07-22-2005, 05:31 PM
My first bald eagle experience happened at Lake Spaulding about 7 years ago. Having decided to move from powerboat to paddle I was there for the very first time trying out my Old Town Loon 111 kayak. There was a commotion overhead and looking up I saw two big birds separating. I watched the white headed eagle until I spotted it landing high on top a tall lightning pruned pine near the shoreline. It took me a moment to realize I was looking at a large nest. Cool, but I was trying to fish because trout were jumping EVERYWHERE. This was the middle of the afternoon and I MEAN they were right under my boat and JUMPING EVERYWHERE! But that's a fish story for another post.

I was surprised to find a good concrete ramp at Spaulding so I eventually ended up spending much of that summer there on my SeaRay 19' I/O cuddy with the yak along as sidekick. I camped in the cove below the nest and would put to shore with my tripod, spotting scope, and 26x optical Sony digital 8 camcorder. I got some GREAT footage and even better visual bird watching. With the scope I could see the iris of their eyes! Eventually a dark head popped up an eagle only a Mother could love. Man that chick was UGLY!

But I was "hooked" and since then I've watched bald eagles at East Park Reservoir and got more footage of nesting birds at Stony Gorge. For me fishing takes a rest when I'm mesmerized by those elegant birds.

Fisherman Jim - OK thanks for the info I'll be on the lookout

red_perception - I was a kid when last at Fallen Leaf Lake and would love to see it again, but BIG Macks you say. Thought you needed electric downrigger with a zillion feet of line for them??? In a kayak no less? OK, oh MAN, I'll bring the special sauce!