PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Speed

randu15
07-22-2005, 08:01 AM
I am heading to Collins tomorrow and I've heard that the bows are fairly big. I normally fish for kokes at a slower speed, however I don't know the speed for trout. Does it vary with different breeds of trout? How deep do you have to drop? How far back from the boat? I know it is a lot to ask for so thanks in advance for your responses.

JoeTech
07-22-2005, 08:41 AM
I think it depends more on the time of year...I normally fish for bows trolling slowly like under 1mph, with your line back about 100 - 200 ft back, depending on the noise from your engine/boat. Trout are a little more shy when it comes to noise...so the farther back the better.

Sierra_hillbilly
07-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Kidster, start top lining at about 100' behind the boat with a watermelon doger and a red wedding ring tipped with a worm. This usally produces results.
S_h

randu15
07-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks Sierra_hillbilly for the info. I will try that. Is that applicable for all lakes or were you referring to just Collins?

randu15
07-22-2005, 10:03 AM
Thank you JoeTech. I have a 70 4 stroke and it is fairly quiet so I will start at 100'.

Sierra_hillbilly
07-22-2005, 10:15 AM
No that combo seems to be a basic trout combination for most lakes. You can also use a watermelon,silver, or many other colors and a needle fish tipped with a worm. I start the boat in motion and just place the lure in the water and watch the action. After awhile you will know what the presentation should look like and thats how you can tell the proper speed.
S_h

kubfish
07-22-2005, 11:40 AM
if you are going to topline at Collins right now I would suggest very early morning and even then its going to be very warm near the top 5-10 feet and slim pickins.

The surface temp at Collins is over 80 right now. I would try in that 30-45ft range to start unless you see fish jumping. Of course those fish jumping may be Bass this time of year.

Sierra_hillbilly
07-22-2005, 12:26 PM
Wow thats pretty warm water. But as Doc stressor says trout will move into warmer water to feed and then they retreat back to cooler temps.

FishMischief
07-22-2005, 12:35 PM
The speed really depends on what your trolling. Dodgers require a slower than Rapalas. Flashers still another speed. Test the action of your rig where you can see it in the water. Adjust your speed so the action is where you want it.

Also remember with dodgers you want a leader elngth that still aloows the offering to be affected by the dodger action.

randu15
07-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Wow what a great resource this board is! Thanks again fellas. I am assuming that the size of the dodger is a 4/0. What type of flasher is used?

FishMischief
07-22-2005, 01:36 PM
Yeah 4/0 on the dodger is good. Not sure about what type of flashers would be used at Collins. I like very small trolls myself if I use them at all because I like to feel the fish.