PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice

JoeTech
07-21-2005, 10:40 AM
The family and I are planing on taking a fishing/camping trip some where up north. I'm from Fresno and normally only fish the lakes around my area, so any help on where a good place to fish with some really nice campgrounds would be nice. Also I will be fishing by boat and really like the higher elevation lakes were its a little cooler. Thanks for any help

John_heyd
07-21-2005, 11:04 AM
By "Up North" what do you mean JoeTech? Still in California or North of that? If in Califonia - you can try the Ice House/Union valley area. You have Loon lake in close proximity plus Wrights Lake/Dark Lake also close by. Hard to get into Wrights Lake Camp ground because it's so popular but you can make reservations through the National Reservation system.

FishMischief
07-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Hwy 88 is a must see in my opinion. *It is closer to you than Crystal Basin which is also very nice. *I dont know the campgrounds on any of those lakes much at all. *Silver Lake campgrounds are not on the lake. *But which ever lake you stay at on Hwy 88 there are a number of great lakes with like 30 mins of each Other. *You have Silver, Caples, Bear River Res and Blue Lakes which you can troll. *Caples, Silver and Bear have bows, browns and macs.

There are also some smaller lakes such as Woods lake (very pretty there) and Red Lake (no so perty but good cutts and brooks).

In addition to these small lakes there are some back country lakes you can hike to out of Woods lake (4th Of July lake, Round Top Lake and another one I forget the name) which have brooks, cutts and I have heard romors of Goldens.

There is also some stream/river fishing on the Carson river. off of Hwy 89 just above there lakes.

If your going in Aug/September Heenan Lake on 89 will be open but its only open Fri, Sat and Sun to Catch and Release. *You would need a float tube or the like or a small boat with electric motor would be ok.

If I were you I would research this area... *It has soo much good fishin and scenery in such a small area.

AllFishNoWork
07-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Don't forget about all the lakes north of Truckee on or off of HWY 89. Joe I might suggest Fishing in California by Tom Stienstra. It should be available at your local library or at any major book seller for about $15-20

Mad_Russian
07-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Caples Lake campground isnt too bad and it's directly across from the lake

JoeTech
07-22-2005, 08:33 AM
thanks for the help

RBC
07-22-2005, 01:08 PM
JoeTech,

Another option is Pinecrest, which is off Hwy 108 above Sonora. Nice campgrounds, great fishing lake (no water skiing), nice beach area for the afternoons. Additionally, you have Beardsley Lake & Recreation Area a little further up Hwy 108 that is a little more secluded. If you want to take a break and try some stream fishing one morning or afternoon, you have Kennedy Meadows and Strawberry just up the road as well.

AllFishNoWork
07-22-2005, 01:23 PM
With all these ideas, Joe might go on vacation and never come back. 8)