PDA

View Full Version : Loon lake report 7/19

Oxbow
07-19-2005, 11:39 AM
We were on the water as planned at 0600 hrs with lines out by 0615, Marked plenty of fish between 5' and 30' deep. My favorite spinners weren't working so changed colors, still no action. Eventually went to a variety of needlefish and broken backs but could not stir up a hit, probably should have tried a trolling fly also but time was short as we were off the water at 0900 headed for home. My first skunk of the year so ate a good sized helping of humble pie for the entire 2.25 hr drive home. Saw one small bow in a net, looked like a willow leaf lake troll and crawler but did not get to talk with the boat. Talked with 2 guys coming out when we did and they caught one last evening and nothing this AM. The only blood in the boat was from me trying to stick a small treble hook permanently in my finger, it came out. Had to put up with a family of
amateurs launching when we were trying to come out, did the gentlemanly(sp?) thing and just watched and waited, we weren't in a hurry. It never ceases to amaze me how many people think the ramp rather than the parking lot is the place to rig your boat. All in all it was a pleasnt mostly wind free morning so not a total loss. Maybe it's time to try hwy 88, at least it's closer. Hope the rest of you have better luck!

Farrier_Frank
07-19-2005, 11:45 AM
That was a quick trip Oxbow. You would probably have had better luck at UVR. And what's with using spinners and trebles?? I was fishing with this old guy on Melones last April who showed me the art of hootchies. I think his name is Larry and lives in your neighborhood. ;)

AllFishNoWork
07-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Come on Frank, it is magic spinners at Loon, hoochies at Melones ;) ;D

I'm curious what magic Larry has up his sleeve for HWY88 :D

robert_long
07-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the report. I am here at work, eating my lunch while reading your report. I don't know if I feel your pain
or not. You were on one awesom lake fishing by big rocks sticking out of the water, mountains surrounding the lake,
super clear water.

Robert

Oxbow
07-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Hi Frank,

I did try one hoochie to no avail, that small treble was on one of the little rebel broken backs that I put on in a state of frustation after not being able to even get a bump on anything else. Don't worry, I still have a sack of about a hundred or more hoochies in various colors, it's just that all last summer the spinners were killing them at Loon so I naturally went there first. If a guy doesn't get a skunk once in awhile he get's to thinking he's a really good fisherman. If I had any of those thoughts, they were soundly trashed today. In any event, I enjoyed a beautiful morning in the Sierras and it "don't get much better than that".

Farrier_Frank
07-19-2005, 05:53 PM
To be fair Oxbow, none of the locals around here I've talked to have said anything promising about Loon so far this year. All the local reports I've heard have been, "... one fish here and one there." Nothing to write home about. A couple of locals up there last week (serious fishermen) said you had to stay 50' deep to catch anything. And if you're staying 50' deep at Loon you better keep one eye on the sonar or your going to get hung-up.

Oxbow
07-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the info Frank, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I hear you about the riggers, I know Loon pretty well and I just don't use riggers there because of all the huge underwater rocks. I don't have GPS on my small boat, not much room, but before I had to send the unit on the big boat in for repair, I had a deepwater track for Loon on the GPS all set up in case I ever wanted to use riggers. There is a pretty wide slot down the middle of the lake with few rocks but you need to know where those few are.

The_Big_Sinus
07-20-2005, 11:11 AM
For the ol' mental Rolodex... I have done REALLY well there now and again running Rebel Craw's on a long line- they seem to dive to around 20'-25'. Natural craw pattern...

John_heyd
07-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Here is a question for you Loon Lake Historians - any idea how loon lake got its name? I don't believe there are any Loon's in California. I remember fishing in BC where there are a lot of Loon's - really enjoyed listening to them while we sat in the boat or sat around the camp fire.

Big Ken
07-21-2005, 05:58 PM
I dont know how it got its name but I do like to fish there..A buddy and myself are heading up there on sat. & wondered if the weather up there might have changed the fishing. :-/ Anybody hit it today? Looking for a report. Will be in a red Rogue Marine sporting the sniffer stars so if you see me dont hesitate to say hey..will post a report when we get back.

fishnphool

Mickey_Thomas
07-21-2005, 06:59 PM
You guys can correct me if I'm wrong but I think Loon Lake has Loons there. CabinFever, your signature sure looks familar ::)

Mickey_Thomas
07-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Well as usual I'm wrong, but they do winter along the west coastline. ::)

gone fishin
07-22-2005, 07:48 AM
Hey guys,

I went to Loon last night and found it to be a slow bite. We got to strikes with no hook ups. Heres the skinny, The water is to warm, 72 - 75 Degs. All the fish I marked were on the bottom of the lake. This is the warmest I've ever seen Loon lake.
If your going up plan on dragging the bottom. The water is a little cooler at the back of the lake where the water is coming in at the flume.

Good luck....

AllFishNoWork
07-22-2005, 08:10 AM
This made not be an intelligent question, but why should I change my ways now ;D, It seems Loon warmed up quite quickly. Being one of the later lakes to open, it would reason that would be colder. Is it because it is shallow and granite bottom? Does it being closer to the sun make a difference? Just curious.