PDA

View Full Version : brief UVR report

Treebeard
03-23-2010, 10:15 AM
A brief report from a very brief trip:

Headed up to Union Valley Reservior yesterday afternoon, to do recon for a trip next week. Since I didn't get out of town until after 4pm, it was destined to be a very short day at the lake! And when I got there found that the camera had been left behind - so, sorry, no pics this time.

First, the road in from Hwy 50 was absolutely clear. Passing the IceHouse access roads, they looked clear but I didn't drive them to see how far that went.

At the lake there was still a lot of snow on the ground, but enough bare patches to wind my way down to the shore without too much wading and sliding. The shoreline where I was - on the northwest side of the lake - was bare in large patches and snowy in large patches. I expect in another week it should be clear enough for anybody to go there.

As usual in that particular stretch of bank, the action started just as the sun was going down. I soon landed a nice 14" bow; then spent about 15 minutes extracting the hook due to lack of a tool, an uncooperative hand, failing light and increasing cold... by the time I'd freed the line it was time to leave, but did cast out a few more times, losing one of decent size that I almost got to shore.

So the trip was a qualified success: recon mission accomplished; landed one fish per hour; and got to report lakeshore conditions for you guys!

TB

n2trout
03-23-2010, 11:36 AM
thanks for the report. None of the mack guys have been reporting on road or launch conditions at the dam. Way to stick it out. Fish on!