PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions or advice on handheld gps unit

CRABBY
03-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Looking for advice or opinions for a handheld GPS unit for back up on boat,mainly need speed.Thanks Don

Dennis
03-30-2010, 05:42 PM
I have an old Lowrance iFinder. I never did like it mainly because the screen is too small. Having stated that, you might look at screen size as one of the primary deciding points. Battery life is also an important consideration. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck.

alexbui
03-30-2010, 07:04 PM
I have a Garmin Colorado 400C mount onto a Ram-Mount w/ suction and I love all the unit's features except at very low speed or drifting, it's a bit tough back tracking to the waypoints unless you speed up. I was told to calibrate the unit. Give Garmin website a visit. I hope that helps.

OYD
03-30-2010, 07:18 PM
For just speed, I have been using the cheapest model Garmen E-Trex for 10 years. Sometimes you can find them as cheap as $79. Battery life is very good since it is b&w, but since it is only used for speed, that is not an isssue.

CRABBY
03-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks Lone Angler,Thats pretty much I want,I think ( GPS ground speed) have a gps FF an a reg.FF just need a back up speed indicator incase my gps go's out again,or may just get another gps unit for rear of boat,the more I ck into these handheld units the more I like em,looked at Garmin an they are nice.Don

Reel Fun
03-31-2010, 07:19 AM
Looking for advice or opinions for a handheld GPS unit for back up on boat,mainly need speed.Thanks Don

" I feel the need...The need for speed" ( can anyone gues that quote? ) Don....what unit do you have now that your worried it might go out??

RF

old sea ranger
03-31-2010, 01:59 PM
I have a Lowrance H2Oc. All well work but the Lowrance can use your cards from your fish finder. It's nice to take it along on your buddies boat and plot your trip and waypoints. The new Lowrance uses micro SD cards and you have a old Nautic Path card it won't fit.

CRABBY
03-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Ronnie,have Lowrance Lcx 28 hd,lost gps this weekend an Lowrance tech people said its the puck(antenna) ordered a new one 4000 series,$112 to my door,not bad,but a 3 to 4 week waiting time,Sooooooooo always wanting to be prepared need backup NOW.my gps had been acting up last year,speed was not steady,lock on not fast an needed help in fig.out where it was,sat.signals were weak now an then when they shouldn't have been,lots of warning signs but I didn't recognize them,oh well live an learn,lucky I wasn't in the Delta in the fog at night an trying to get back.Don

CRABBY
03-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Old Sea Ranger,not sure what size SD card I have,probley a big one,looked at it an it don't mirco size to me.My unit is 3 years old.Don

old sea ranger
03-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Old Sea Ranger,not sure what size SD card I have,probley a big one,looked at it an it don't mirco size to me.My unit is 3 years old.Don

Micro fit inside the SD card. You would want to look at the H2O unit.

Jetspray
04-03-2010, 05:09 AM
Whatever you purchase make sure it has the ability to download or attach to a computer. Buy a good ram mount. If you are carrying it around the boat, put some velcro on it and the place you are gonna seat yourself with it (almost lost one at Pyramid cause I didn't do this). Remember "handheld" does not mean keep it in your hand while the boat is moving. If you want the boat's speed you need to attach it to the boat in some fashion.........Jetspray

gaffers guyjw
05-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Garmin e trex H speed and direction other features but for $80 bucks good tool wally world gaffers guy