PDA

View Full Version : S.F. Bay Tide Help

Klamdog
05-24-2008, 07:01 PM
I usually make it out to S.F Bay a couple times each summer for Halibut, and all to often, I pick days with unfavorable tides. *When looking at the tides, what should I be looking for. *It seems minus tides are not good days, but on the same hand when I look at the tide charts, there are an awful lot of minus tide days. *If I only make it out a few times each summer, it would be nice to pick my days a little better! *For those of you who know, looking at the tides what are some of the better tide days in June? *Thanks for your help!

jbem777
05-24-2008, 07:07 PM
www.saltwatertides.com

Pick days where there is not a large fluctuation between high and low tides.

Josh

chagovatoloco
05-24-2008, 08:52 PM
If I am right the tide this weekend look good

jcarman
05-25-2008, 12:31 PM
I think there could be a whole section devoted to tides for Halibut. Some say the best are when there is very little difference between high and low, some say look for the greatest difference between high and low but stay away from the minus tides. The best information I was given was that halibut are sight feeders, so you want tidal movement and clear water. Minus tides make for stained water which is why to try and stay away from them, but regardless of the difference between high and low tides you should try and find clean water. I am sure others will chime in on this... ;)

FD

Klamdog
05-26-2008, 05:43 AM
What is considered a large fluctuation in tide?

CPTN_JACK
05-26-2008, 06:01 AM
low -.06 * high 6ft woul be a big tide!!
*FISHDUCK hit the nail on the head,, *look for kleen water!! *see ya out there!! *CJ

redmt
05-26-2008, 06:02 AM
What is considered a large fluctuation in tide?

I would say that anything over 4' to something that looks like it will cover the marina parking lot is a large fluctuation. ;D

Klamdog
05-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Thank You guys, this helps alot! *My first day off is June 13th, and it fits your good tide tips, so I will be out there! *However, it's Friday the 13th, I hope this is O.K! :-/