PDA

View Full Version : Bon Tempe 4-11-10

GNappers
04-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Fished Bon Tempe today with Fishbucket and it was cold wet and windy which made the trout we caught all more worthwhile. Picked Joe up after 7:30 in P-town and we headed down to Fairfax. I was thinking it would be a better idea to just skip the fishing and go get breakfast. We fished the Meadow about a half a mile from the creek connected to Lagunitas. I put out a pole with orange power bait while Joe tried for small mouth. I was hoping he would at least get a bite but knew that he would have better chance catching a trout. 15 minutes later while I was setting up my second pole I just happened to turn around and see my boober up to the pole and my rod bouncing wildley. Picked up the pole and felt nothing. Reeled in a little then a little more and when it loaded up I set the hook. The fish pulled pretty good so I loosened the drag and the fish gave 2-3 good drag pulls then I guided it into the net and had a descent 14 incher on the stringer.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab4/GNappers/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_0157.jpg

Joe had been walking down the shore trying for small mouth. About a half hour later I finally got the same set up in the water after cleaning up the line and weight from the net. Fishbucket came back with no bites on a rubber lizard and I felt bad. He then casted out a single hook with orange power bait for 20 minutes then switched it up to white power eggs. With his second pole he cast out the same lure I had caught the smallie on 4 days ago.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab4/GNappers/IMG_0163.jpg

Joe hooked up a fish near shore which I believe he said was a small mouth. Looked nice but the fish popped off. A few minutes later I see the tip of his other pole start to get tapped. Another nicer tap then bam the fish takes the bait. He told me to grab it but it was his fish and the way the trout hit I knew it was on. Joe reels in and the fish start's fighting close to shore. I see the beast and think it is about 3 pounds but when I netted the fish it was 1.5-2 lbs. about 16 inches. If that is not the nicest fish I have seen taken out of Bon Tempe it is definately one of the nicest. Full tail, nice pink meat and a mark where a commorant or osprey tried to get it.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab4/GNappers/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_0155.jpg

2 on the stringer and Joe continued to cast out the same lure this time he had sharpened the hooks. About the same spot he hooked another fish which also got off. I have fished this lake for many years and only a few times did I hook up on the lure. Joe's 1st day he had 2 solid bites. He must be a better fisherman then me.

Ended the day around 11 a.m with 2 fish and 2 bites on the lure. After Joe got us some coffee in Fairfax he took me to Hallie's in Petaluma for sum biscuits and gravy. Gooood Eat's! Hey Joe thank you for hooking up the breakfast/fish and nice job catching that beaute. I thought we were crazy but then we saw several people running around the lake in short's.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab4/GNappers/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_0158.jpg

NorthBay Troutster
04-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Nice fish kevin. That big one definitely looks like a hold over!

Fishbucket
04-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks for writing this up and Thanks for taking me there ... it was a lil chilly and wet. But a nice way to spend the morning. Like I said, I'm going to have to bring GBG down there for the day.
I just came in from the shop sorting thru my old trout gear. I'll be ready next time !.
Been a long time since I've banked it... felt good.

are they in the smoker yet?? :chowtime:

I'll call ya later in the week too.

Brutus20
04-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Good job guys, way to brave the weather. Thanks for posting

........................Brutuus..................

Paul_707
04-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Nice catches there fellas way to brave the elements:clap: Pretty good.. but if i was there wed a been limited out in 2 hours.. hehe:bartsimpson: Ive fished the lake for 20 years.. several years ago there were some plants of bigger fish i can show you pictures of 4-5 pounders ive pulled out of there.. But these days that is a sweet trout for that lake bucket wtg.