PDA

View Full Version : would you ever buy a used fishfinder

dogfish
04-17-2010, 04:29 PM
i mean, you cant see it work properly in somebodys garage can you? my other question is how durable is this type of electronic equipment? ive never owned one.can you expect a 200 hundred dollar sonar to last 5 or 10 years?

Seon
04-17-2010, 04:35 PM
A couple of years ago I bought one from a fellow Sniffer. Great working unit and was very satisfied. As for how long a FF will last is questionable...like any electronic..it could last forever or poop out the following day after you bought it. Lowrance has a pretty good program, a unit fails, you ship it to them, they bench test it and if it's DOA, they send you a new one at a nominal fee.
I don't know if the other manufactures have a similar program.

dogfish
04-17-2010, 04:43 PM
thats cool that they do that . is it like a craftsman hand tool or do you need a reciept?

Seon
04-17-2010, 05:44 PM
I think the model you return has to be still available in their stock. No receipt required unless it's a warranty repair. If not under warranty, then it depends on the model on what the replacement cost is. For example an LCX 113 FF/GPS was out of warrantee and returned because the GPS was not working. Cost was $500 to replace with a new not a re-manufactured unit. New the unit costed over $2500. I've read where other models that cost less were replaced with new as little as $300.

dogfish
04-17-2010, 06:58 PM
thanks seon!
still deciding how much money to spend!!

Trout Tracker
04-17-2010, 07:08 PM
I have an old Eagle on my boat.The one with the curser line to find the depth of the fish.
I figure it's probley 20-25 years old.
It still works great.
TT

chrism
04-27-2010, 04:09 PM
I've got a Si-Tex color 500W dual freq. beautiful color unit with speed and temp. I'd let go for $200 with everything to plug and play with a manual. This was on my boat in a cabin and I got a new Raymarine digital FF/plotter/Radar combo (that isn't quite as good a ff imho). It holds bottom in hundreds of feet at 30MPH and there's nothing prettier than a clear giant sturgeon arch on her.

Return it to me within 30 days for ANY reason other than outright negligent treatment (no dragging it down the freeway), even if you just don't like it, and I'll return your 200 bucks. Love to see that thing continue fishing! It's not very happy in my garage. Pretty sure it won't come back once you've used it.

Only issue is I'm in Walnut Creek. PM if interested. There are honest people out there and there are good used deals if you can find them.

Chris

bassrook
04-27-2010, 07:30 PM
I have a humminbird wide view. 15 years old and still in great shape and works great.