PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Fishing

MarkdaShark19
04-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Today I went fly fishing for some bass and was unsuccessful due to the crappy weather and I switched to my floating line which I was not used to casting so I spent a lot of time untangling my fly out of bushes and the tall grass behind me. I'm thought of all of this wasted time I spent on the water I went into my backyard and did some practice casting with my fly rod.

Now I just thought this was to funny I had to share it with you guys and I thought it could help people with fighting fish maybe.

As I'm in my backyard casting my dog being all excited and interested with what I was doing kept running back and forth chasing my line, so I decided to tie a small piece of an old towel on to the end of my line and sure enough before you know it I was dog fishing.

My (roughly) 50lb boxer was one hell of a fight on my 5/6wt fly rod with 8lb test tippet. As fun as it was figured for those who have dogs might give this a shot some afternoon when their bored and can't fish. It was fun as heck my dog sure enjoyed it and it was great practice for casting my fly rod and can be a great way to learn how to fight fish (or dogs) with light line if you decided to do so. Just thought I'd share that with you guys. And of course this doesn't have to be done with a fly rod. Just was definatly a lot more interesting that way.

Mr. Striper
04-22-2010, 05:48 AM
That was pretty good.

BeefCakeScout
04-22-2010, 01:15 PM
hmmm.....maybe i should learn to fly fish

FishnBeer
04-22-2010, 01:44 PM
we used to do the same thing with a couple feathers and my buddys cat. caught me a 10 pound cat on 4 lb test!!

H-man
04-25-2010, 05:30 AM
My suggestion, don't start poaching over the fence with the neigbor's dog... http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.png

Your story reminded me of one with my kids and the neighbor kids. Had just come back from Baja fishing for tuna and was washing down my gear. The neighbor's kid was asking about the how big of a fish I could land with the trolling rod (80# test line, Penn 50SW). I told her a fish as big as her... she said no way.... yada...yada... we end up with the line tied to her and a bet that I could stop her before she got across the court. Long story shorter - I won.

But I also now had to know how big of a kid could I stop with a trolling rod. Stopped all, but the 12 year old, darn near spooled me! 8 to 10 year olds, right in the wheel house. (Yeah my drag washers were already shot)

Minnow209
04-27-2010, 03:27 PM
This may sound ghetto, but when i was a kid we tied our lines to plastic bags and let it fly when it was reall windy. And it was pretty fun doing this when i was a kid. Hahah, thought i share it with you. :p