PDA

View Full Version : Cod Liver Oil as a Scent

panther
04-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Do any of you have this? I've only used it a little, but I'll do more with it this season. It seems to emit scent and not be hard to clean off of the lures later. Just curious what you guys think.

Panther

LuckyIrishFan
04-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Panther, I give it a 2 thumbs up. It has worked great for me when I use it on my lure or power eggs/power worms set up...:angling:. Have fun with it, and keep us updated on the results you get from using it. Good Luck and FISH ON:biggrin::!!!

chefchandler
04-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Really LIF?? I used it probably 10 times on one of my pole's and never caught anything on it when my other pole would catch fish.. So I gave up on it.. If it works for you I might give it another try.. I like Herring oil it does pretty well for me..

Fish On,
Chef

fishingguysf
04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
I met a guy name Fisherman Fred out at Quarry Lakes and he uses it. Works really good on powerbait or powereggs/powerworm combo. He has landed plenty of lunkers using it. I personally use Smelly Jelly Liquid, Craw/Anise Scent and it seems to work good for me. I have been using this Scent for years and I have caught quite a bit of Rainbow Trout with it.

Fishon!!!

LuckyIrishFan
04-23-2010, 04:04 PM
It depends...it's all about what gives you the most results:). I have seen guys using anchovy oil and they land fish left and right while I'm watching them land fish. I still use my Berkley garlic trout dip once in a while, but I find that I enjoy using the cod liver oil for now. Who knows, I may switch up to herring oil that CC uses or something else. In my opinion, just try different scents here and there and see which one best suits you, you may be surprised...another scent may work better for you than just cod liver oil. Good Luck and FISH ON:grin:!!!

Captain Compassion
04-23-2010, 04:24 PM
You can but Cod liver oil in small round gel caps. Pierce the cap with your hook and squeeze it on the lure. Never really worked for me but if you like the stuff then it's an easy way to apply it.

CC

brillfish
04-23-2010, 08:17 PM
I'am a beleiver in cod liver oil. I have seen it work time and time again. However....think of this in a more scientific approach. The liver oil really does not stay on the bait. But what it does do is wipe away any foreign or human scent. Trout are only second to catfish when it comes to scent and taste. Just get your hands wet and rub them in mud or gravel that is wet, rinse in the lake water, shake them some what dry and apply your bait.....SERIOUSLY THIS WORKS....EVEN FOR SMOKERS! Try it! You have nothing to loose, plus you do not have to lug around that nasty cod liver oil. But, scent does work. On the other hand, added scent does not seem to make a difference sometimes.

panther
04-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Guys,

Many thanks. There are a lot of good thoughts and ideas here. My #1 scent is also herring oil, but I am curious enough about this cod liver oil to try it more often this season.

Panther

flytier
04-26-2010, 09:24 AM
The best scent ever invented is still WD40 - but most people would never try it. The salmon trolling guys have used it and have sworn by it for years.

BTW, it goes without saying that WD40 is also good for your keeping you lures nice and shiny!