PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance HDS 7...Which One and What Add Ons?

Polebrother
04-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Getting close to pulling the trigger on buying the HDS 7 and seeking final inputs here on which model I should get.

Based on my research so far, I think I'm going to go with the unit that includes internal GPS (no top on my boat) and the transom transducer with base maps. My plan is to add Navionics Platinum Plus. I'm not going to get Insight.

My primary fishing is trolling for stripers in the delta and occasionally lake trolling for trout. I also troll for halibut in the bay.

Am I on the right track?

Things I'm not sure about.

1. Will this unit display MPH speed on the screen while I'm trolling?

2. Does the chart-plotter allow me to follow "track lines" on the screen so I can repeat travel along effective trolling lanes?

3. Would Insight be a better way to go and if so, why?

I'm passing on the HDS 8 and 10 at this time...a bit too expensive. Understand I'd only be getting a bigger screen and push button quick access to screens. Don't need that at the moment.

Well, what do you think? Thanks in advance for your comments.

nitty917
04-25-2010, 02:55 AM
hey dude, ive been in the same boat with you with this mission, this past month i been doing comparison reviews with the humminbird sideimaging vs lowrance hds. I decided to go with Lowrance. From what I read and researched, Insight maps is not as great, people are getting the base map package, then getting Navionics Plantinum.
i been searching all over the net for deals, i went to last resort, EBAY. which is always iffy thing for me, but i been watching this guy for awhile, loss a bunch of times. finally won a brand new HDS-10 unit for almost 800 off the retail or what you would pay at Fishermans Warehouse or Basspro.

id jump on this, screaming deal. if you got the extra money, do it, this is almost half off, hes got good 100% feedback, you got ebay fraud protection now, ebay will pay you back your money worst comes to worst.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lowrance-HDS-10-FF-Chartplotter-w-Insight-140-41-/130385834791?cmd=ViewItem&pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item1e5b99f327

Ken Sauret
04-25-2010, 04:32 PM
All the HDS units come with an internal GPS antenna. It is equivilent to the LGC 3000. The new external LGC 4000 is an upgrade to the internal antenna. It will lock onto satellites quicker and stay locked on in marginal areas. It can be mounted right next to the head unit. It updates your position on the face of the earth 5 times a second compared to once a second with the 3000 so you will see your movement while on the trolling motor much sooner.

Any HDS unit will show your "ground speed" on each screen you are running. This can be done by going to overlay data and choosing it to show on the screen.

By going to Waypoints, Routes and Trails, choosing trails and then starting a "new trail" you will have a trail wherever you go throughout the day. You can save individual trails after a days fishing, name that trail, change the color of the trail and choose whether or not the trail is visible or invisible. This is important so when you save a trail and then go out again you may want the previous trail to be invisible so it won't get too busy on the screen.

I fish the Delta in bass tournaments quite often and like the Insight mapping and the tide charts to be viewed on the screen. I have Navionics cards and prefer Insight but that is a personal choice.

Polebrother
04-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks very much for responding to my plea for help...exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

ReelJerks
04-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Let me mention also, when you select your 'speed' overlay, SOG (Speed over ground) is the GPS speed and 'Water Speed' if the paddle wheel speed from the transducer, if so equipped.

You're gonna love the HDS stuff.

Edd

bassrook
04-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Sorry to rip off this thread but... Does the lowrance hds-7 come with the structure scan or is it an additonal $600 above and beyond the cost of the unit itself. And with the hummingbird does this include the down imaging and side scan or is this an additional fee also?

ReelJerks
04-28-2010, 07:22 AM
Don't know about the HB, but it's additional with the HDS units.

Edd

hansolo2009
04-28-2010, 08:43 AM
What's an HDS 7 going for these days? Best retailer in the East Bay? Best place online? Thanks.

ReelJerks
04-28-2010, 09:01 AM
What's an HDS 7 going for these days? Best retailer in the East Bay? Best place online? Thanks.

There are too many options to suggest a price. I would suggest you try the Board Sponsors first. If you're not satisfied, these guys are tops http://www.boemarine.com/ . Speak with Jim. This way you can shop the various packages and mapping.

Edd

Polebrother
04-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Okay, I've already pulled the trigger on the Lowrance HDS 7, Base Maps w/transducer...it should arrive at the house any day now.

But when I started my detailed search for the proper add-on Navionics Platinum Plus Chart-Plotter card, I'm left feeling a bit confused about which one offers the best coverage for my fishing trends, i.e., delta trolling, SF Bay trolling and local NorCal lakes.

There are apparently at least two such Platinum Plus cards that cover California--the Oregon/California MSD-643P+ card and California South Baja MSD-644P+ card. Seems that either one will give me the coverage I need for my NorCal centered fishing...but I'm not sure, even after checking several websites.

At the moment I have no plans to fish Oregon or SoCal. I just want the best possible chart-plotter coverage for Delta, SF Bay and local lakes. So, does anyone know which card would be best for me? Do both cards offer identical coverage for NorCal?

Just don't want to buy the wrong card. Thanks!

Ken Sauret
04-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Bassrook,

All the HDS units are capable of running the structure scan. The structure scan is an add on to any HDS unit. This way it is more adaptable to each persons needs. Rather than build it into the unit and then need to charge more for the package, you purchase the head unit in the size screen you need and then add to it.

For example every HDS unit is capable of:
2D sonar when you connect a transducer to it,
3D sonar (structure scan) when you hook the module and transducer to it,
GPS with the built in antenna, but you can upgrade to the external LGC 4000 for better performance,
Radar when you connect a Radar antenna to it.

All the software is in every unit. You just need to add the appropriate hardware so whatever you want to use will work.

Dennis
04-29-2010, 01:35 PM
I just thought I'd share this image. Here's a screen capture showing what looks like a retaining wall with a fence post on it taken from my HDS. BTW, this is without the Structrure Scan module.

http://home.surewest.net/dennisw1/Pictures/Amador/Stump.jpg

As I don't need a retaining wall here at the house, I guess I'd have to 'catch and release'

ReelJerks
04-29-2010, 02:02 PM
I just thought I'd share this image. Here's a screen capture showing what looks like a retaining wall with a fence post on it taken from my HDS. BTW, this is without the Structrure Scan module.

As I don't need a retaining wall here at the house, I guess I'd have to 'catch and release':rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Nice capture Dennis. Is that Pallet #13 ?

Edd

nitty917
04-29-2010, 06:26 PM

EBAY, is your best bet, i got mind off there and saved ALOT. send me a message and ill give you the seller

ReelJerks
04-29-2010, 06:59 PM
EBAY, is your best bet, i got mind off there and saved ALOT. send me a message and ill give you the seller

Just a caution on buying this type of equipment from eBay.....what do you do when something goes wrong?
You probably don't have much experience using this equipment and less, if any, hands-on installation experience. Why else would you make your original post? You are going to save money buying from a certified seller/installer, plus, you have a place to go if something goes wrong. Sensitive marine electronic equipment can easily be damaged during installation by non-savvy techs, and I'll remind you it serves as a piece of safety equipment also.

Good luck in your journey,
Edd

Dennis
04-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Nice capture Dennis. Is that Pallet #13 ?

Edd

Yes, I believe it is.

Polebrother
04-29-2010, 10:01 PM

As I don't need a retaining wall here at the house, I guess I'd have to 'catch and release'

What's all that stuff between 10 and 20 feet?

nitty917
04-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Just a caution on buying this type of equipment from eBay.....what do you do when something goes wrong?
You probably don't have much experience using this equipment and less, if any, hands-on installation experience. Why else would you make your original post? You are going to save money buying from a certified seller/installer, plus, you have a place to go if something goes wrong. Sensitive marine electronic equipment can easily be damaged during installation by non-savvy techs, and I'll remind you it serves as a piece of safety equipment also.

Good luck in your journey,
Edd

your right, but with the 900 i saved, i will have plenty to have it PROFESSIONALLY installed by the guys building my boat, and Im almost 100% positive they know what they are doing, if it goes wrong, brand new units, should have warranty. I was just helping someone save money, if you want to pay full price, go for it, he asked for good deal. theres your answer.

DWheelersr
04-30-2010, 06:31 AM
A question to Ken Sauret Can I use an external antenna with a HDS 7? Sometimes mine loses itself and reboots. It has only happen 2 times. I am just curious.

Dennis
04-30-2010, 06:57 AM
What's all that stuff between 10 and 20 feet?
I had the sensitivity turned up quite a bit, that's floating debris. The water had just come up from all the rain.

ReelJerks
04-30-2010, 07:11 AM
your right, but with the 900 i saved, i will have plenty to have it PROFESSIONALLY installed by the guys building my boat, and Im almost 100% positive they know what they are doing, if it goes wrong, brand new units, should have warranty. I was just helping someone save money, if you want to pay full price, go for it, he asked for good deal. theres your answer.

I don't think you saved $900 on any single HDS unit, but if you did, congratulation...you bought it below wholesale and I hope you got what you wanted. Ask your boat builder/rigger if they are willing to stand behind a sonar you bought from eBay. More than likely they will stand behind their installation but not the product. Oh....and don't consider the time involved when it needs to be returned, if you can find your eBay dealer and if they are willing to exchange it. Other than that is goes to Navico where things don't move as fast as you'd like.
I'm not telling anyone NOT to buy from eBay, but the problems need to up front. I buy lots from eBay and there are good buys from good retailers in that venue.

Edd

nitty917
04-30-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't think you saved $900 on any single HDS unit, but if you did, congratulation...you bought it below wholesale and I hope you got what you wanted. Ask your boat builder/rigger if they are willing to stand behind a sonar you bought from eBay. More than likely they will stand behind their installation but not the product. Oh....and don't consider the time involved when it needs to be returned, if you can find your eBay dealer and if they are willing to exchange it. Other than that is goes to Navico where things don't move as fast as you'd like.
I'm not telling anyone NOT to buy from eBay, but the problems need to up front. I buy lots from eBay and there are good buys from good retailers in that venue.

Edd

well if Lowrance is good as everyone says it is on this thread, hope there isnt no problems.
i paid $1730 shipped, for a lowrance hds-10 insight mappings with 83/200 transducer. i think
i seen this package at basspro for 2499 or plus tax. ok maybe not $900 i saved but close to it.
And he is a 100% power seller, who knows how he gets these units but he has these quite often.

ReelJerks
04-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Best I can find in all of eBay is $2100 w/o ducer. You got a steal.

Edd

nitty917
04-30-2010, 05:37 PM

Edd

Well Edd,
Lets hope he didnt get a steal! LOL the package is still in route, should be here next week,
so we will see. ill keep you guys posted.

Frank

nitty917
05-01-2010, 06:22 AM

Edd

Edd,
Whats your take on the Structurescan? is it a must have? Ive been thinking about purchasing one

ReelJerks
05-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Edd,
Whats your take on the Structurescan? is it a must have? Ive been thinking about purchasing one

For the Bass guys I think it IS a must have. For me, (a troller), the bottom imaging would be a great plus, but my Wife says it is NOT a must. We agree to disagree and I'm looking for funds as I type. If I had an extra $500 it would be on the Boat.

Edd

Polebrother
05-02-2010, 08:31 AM
I had the sensitivity turned up quite a bit, that's floating debris. The water had just come up from all the rain.

Thanks, appreciate the explanation. My HDS 7 is here and ready for installation which I'm pursuing now. When it arrived I looked at the size of the stationary base mounting bracket and realized the space where I want to put it on the boat is limited. I fixed this problem by ordering a swivel mount extension for the HDS 7 mount which will fit easily and give me the capability to tilt my screen left or right as needed. Approx another $100 I'd not anticipated having to dole out. Oh well.

As previously mentioned I didn't get Insight and have decided to add the Navionics California South/Cabo card.

I'm primarily a troller and like has been mentioned, Structure Scan would be nice to have but I've heard from others and figure it's not a necessity for what I do...at this time!

Can hardly wait to get it all done and try my new toy on the water.

DuckDog
05-04-2010, 02:20 PM
When you get it out give a post on how it performed. You should be stoked with your purchase, I need to update my X-15:embarassed:.
Thanks, appreciate the explanation. My HDS 7 is here and ready for installation which I'm pursuing now. When it arrived I looked at the size of the stationary base mounting bracket and realized the space where I want to put it on the boat is limited. I fixed this problem by ordering a swivel mount extension for the HDS 7 mount which will fit easily and give me the capability to tilt my screen left or right as needed. Approx another $100 I'd not anticipated having to dole out. Oh well.

As previously mentioned I didn't get Insight and have decided to add the Navionics California South/Cabo card.

I'm primarily a troller and like has been mentioned, Structure Scan would be nice to have but I've heard from others and figure it's not a necessity for what I do...at this time!

nitty917
05-05-2010, 03:43 PM
For the Bass guys I think it IS a must have. For me, (a troller), the bottom imaging would be a great plus, but my Wife says it is NOT a must. We agree to disagree and I'm looking for funds as I type. If I had an extra $500 it would be on the Boat.

Edd

Edd
spoke too soon, your right, apologize, ******* scammed me.
just got off the phone with Ebay, prick got 11 other guys scammed too.
I guess the saying is right, if its too good to be true, well it usually isnt true.

ReelJerks
05-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Edd
spoke too soon, your right, apologize, ******* scammed me.
just got off the phone with Ebay, prick got 11 other guys scammed too.
I guess the saying is right, if its too good to be true, well it usually isnt true.

I'm really sorry to hear that. If you used PayPal I think you have recourse.

Edd

nitty917
05-05-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that. If you used PayPal I think you have recourse.

Edd

yea, talked to Ebay. seems like he did it to dozen of people. feedback went from 100% to all negative.
what a scum bag.

ReelJerks
05-06-2010, 07:29 AM
Maybe you could post the 'Scum Bags' name and store front name to help protect other Sniffer's.

Edd

Polebrother
05-08-2010, 10:53 PM

Well, I screwed up. I ordered the wrong Navionics card for my Lowrance HDS 7. I did not realize that the California South/Cabo card comes in multiple versions for multiple fish finder brands. I inadvertently ordered the "Compact Flash" or "CF" version when I should have ordered the "MicroSD" version. The CF is compatible with Raymarine and Northstar, but not Lowrance. MicroSD is apparently compatible with Lowrance, Hummingbird and Simrad.

Luckily I discovered the mistake before opening the Navionics CF package I received via UPS which would have voided my option to return it to the retailer. I'm in the process of trying to make the exchange. I think the MicroSD is more expensive than the CF and will have to make up the difference if that is the case.

Just sharing here in case there are others out there like me who didn't know Navionics cards come in multiple versions, mainly CF and MicroSD.

Some mediocre philosopher once said, "You can't be an expert until you make all the mistakes." Well, I'm rolling with that for now. :grinn:

nitty917
05-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Maybe you could post the 'Scum Bags' name and store front name to help protect other Sniffer's.

Edd

I think his ID is officially removed from Ebay.

nitty917
05-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Well, I screwed up. I ordered the wrong Navionics card for my Lowrance HDS 7. I did not realize that the California South/Cabo card comes in multiple versions for multiple fish finder brands. I inadvertently ordered the "Compact Flash" or "CF" version when I should have ordered the "MicroSD" version. The CF is compatible with Raymarine and Northstar, but not Lowrance. MicroSD is apparently compatible with Lowrance, Hummingbird and Simrad.

Luckily I discovered the mistake before opening the Navionics CF package I received via UPS which would have voided my option to return it to the retailer. I'm in the process of trying to make the exchange. I think the MicroSD is more expensive than the CF and will have to make up the difference if that is the case.

Just sharing here in case there are others out there like me who didn't know Navionics cards come in multiple versions, mainly CF and MicroSD.

Some mediocre philosopher once said, "You can't be an expert until you make all the mistakes." Well, I'm rolling with that for now. :grinn:

are you going with the plantinum plus mapping?
Im interested of getting the Base mapping with this option also.

Polebrother
05-09-2010, 03:56 PM
are you going with the plantinum plus mapping?
Im interested of getting the Base mapping with this option also.

Yes, Platinum Plus Hawaii, California South to Baja (Model #644+) on MicroSD for my Lowrance HDS 7 with Base Mapping. Good luck!

ReelJerks
05-09-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm not positive on this, but! I don't think HDS units support SD 'micro'. I think you want SD. They will work with SD or SDHC (HC = high capacity). Maybe Ken will see this and chime in.

Edd

Polebrother
05-09-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm not positive on this, but! I don't think HDS units support SD 'micro'. I think you want SD. They will work with SD or SDHC (HC = high capacity). Maybe Ken will see this and chime in.

Edd

Jeez! This has become a lot harder than I anticipated. Thanks for your input, I'll check it out before pulling the trigger again.

ReelJerks
05-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Jeez! This has become a lot harder than I anticipated. Thanks for your input, I'll check it out before pulling the trigger again.

PB...I was mistaken. Here is part of the info on the HDS from the last software update:
What changes are made in this update? This update with Application version 2.5.31.56 and Platform version 56.13-3 includes all the 2.5.31.56 functionality previously released and also enables HDS compatibility with micro SD cards.

If you have updated your unit you are good to go. BUT! There are some issues with the Fish-n-Chip and a software is in progress at Navico.

Sorry for the scare,
Edd

Ken Sauret
05-10-2010, 12:22 PM
A question to Ken Sauret Can I use an external antenna with a HDS 7? Sometimes mine loses itself and reboots. It has only happen 2 times. I am just curious.
Yes you can get an LGC 4000, plug it into a NMEA 2000 backbone and set the HDS unit to use the external antenna. This will definatly improve your GPS function.

Radical
05-11-2010, 09:01 PM
This info is for the HDS10. Don't know about the HDS7.
To get water speed you will have to buy a paddlewheel and set up the NEMA 2000 network to hook it and read it. If you add the sidescan you will have four cables to hook up when you install the HDS. The transducer cable, the NEMA 2000 cable, the network for the sidescan and the power. If you have a VHF radio with the auto distress, a cable from the HDS power cord has to be connected to your VHF radio.

Polebrother
05-15-2010, 07:15 AM
Went out for the first time with my HDS 7, Thurs May 13, to Delta trolling for stripers. Loving it so far. Used only sonar and GPS features required for trolling. Briefly tinkered with a few other of its attributes while on the water just to validate that I've got a ton to learn about the unit's overall capabilities. Did it do a better job of putting me on fish compared to my previous $100 fish-finder? Not yet. (Except I didn't have to carry and use my separate GPS unit.) That said, I still love my new toy and look forward to more tinkering. The Navionics Chart card has yet to arrive so don't know how that will play yet. I'm really impressed so far and have great anticipation for realizing/experiencing future HDS 7 benefits.

ReelJerks
05-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Here's a tip for ya PB. Compile yourself a brief 'short-cut' sheet/card. Show the menu sequences for actions you want to take. This way you don't spend time reading the manual on the water. Super easy to make and changes selections. You just don't realize how difficult it is to remember this stuff when you are also watching rods.
I can FAX you a copy of mine if you'd like.

Good luck and enjoy,
Edd

Polebrother
05-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Here's a tip for ya PB. Compile yourself a brief 'short-cut' sheet/card. Show the menu sequences for actions you want to take. This way you don't spend time reading the manual on the water. Super easy to make and changes selections. You just don't realize how difficult it is to remember this stuff when you are also watching rods.
I can FAX you a copy of mine if you'd like.

Good luck and enjoy,
Edd

Skallywag: Thanks for your kind and gracious offer. I definitely want to check it out as I'm certain it will help me a lot. Please see the PM is sent you for Fax #, etc. Thanks again!

Rockezra
05-16-2010, 08:05 AM
I also posted this on another thread, but I think its a better fit here, hope you dont mind. .... Rick

I too have a HDS but my unit is a Insite version and is missing all the maps from half way up Decker all the way to Sacramento and across the valley to past Highway 99, the water and rivers are not even blue! no channel markers, nothing! So I am missing half of the West Bank and Horseshoe, all of the Dairy, the Sacramento from Rio Vista all the way up, all of the Deep Water Channel, Cash, Prospect, Shag, Lindsey, Miner, Sutter, Steamboat, Three Mile and Seven Mile Sloughs. All of both the North and South Mokelume and the Mokelume above and below Wimpys, Georgiana, Snodgrass, the Meadows, Beaver, Hog, Sycamore, pretty much every thing above Hiway 12 and Tower Park. I was also missing the western half of Folsom Lake and all of Lake Berressa. Lowrance gave me an update chip and I now have all of both lakes and the channel markers, the water is now blue but still have no contours on any of the waters except the lakes. Lowrance has given me no realistic answer too when this glitch will be fixed if ever! So I aquired a Navionics Western States Charts Platinium edition which I though would take care of my missing maps but that doesn't work very well either its mostly for the ocean, the picture on the front of the package is pretty missleading. I have been told that I should have Purchased the Navionics Hot Maps Premium or Platinium which covers the Delta and all the Lakes in more detail. Any one have any experience with Hot Maps in the areas I'm Missing?

Rick .............. Blue/White Custom Weld 75 Merc Optimax .............Tight Lines

ReelJerks
05-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Have you performed the 3.0 update? It won't add any waters, but it has the Navionics fix. I believe Ken Fishes those areas so lets hope he weighs in on your post.

Edd

Ken Sauret
05-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Rick wrote

"Lowrance gave me an update chip and I now have all of both lakes and the channel markers, the water is now blue but still have no contours on any of the waters except the lakes. Lowrance has given me no realistic answer too when this glitch will be fixed if ever!"

It sounds like Lowrance sent you the 3.6 mapping card patch. They are continuing to repair gaps in the patch. If you can email me a screen shot with the lat/long info. they can address this area in a future patch.

If you get a different map card like Navionics that has these areas on it then you're in business right away.

Fish_For_It
05-19-2010, 01:33 PM
For Ken Sauret: The areas that Rockezra outlined are locations that I also primarily fish. Are you telling us that these areas will not show up on the HDS maps with the proper information? Is the problem possibly due to the fact Lowrance does not have the proprietary rights to map this area? How are you fishing all of the Delta if these areas are not included?

Ken Sauret
05-20-2010, 08:26 AM
For Ken Sauret: The areas that Rockezra outlined are locations that I also primarily fish. Are you telling us that these areas will not show up on the HDS maps with the proper information? Is the problem possibly due to the fact Lowrance does not have the proprietary rights to map this area? How are you fishing all of the Delta if these areas are not included?

Lowrance changed mapping vendors late in the first year of HDS production. There are a very small number of units that were sent out with some mapping glitches and an SD card with the patch is sent out whenever someone calls customer service and informs them of this problem with their unit at no charge. I have an earlier unit and have no mapping problems so I have always been able to navigate the whole Delta with no problem. Friends of mine who purchased HDS units after me have no problem. It was just a very short run of product that went out and as soon as the problem was reported it was fixed at the factory and a patch became available.

Fish_For_It
05-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the clarification. I really like what the HDS units offer, but did not want to get one if I could not "see" the whole Delta.
Take care.

Rockezra
06-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Not to beat a dead horse here but the fixes ( update chips) that Lowrance has tried on my unit have not been completely sucessful. I've emaled Lowrance reps back and forth at least 15 times, I had Scott Fordice, the Western United States Lowrance Rep personally handle my unit, with no luck. I bought the unit last September? Lowrance would not even aknowledge a problem to me until Jan - Feb? During the months around Christmas I checked every unit I came across at about 10 different locations in northern Calif and Cabelas in Boomtown and every one had the same issue around the Rio Vista bridge, some units had some of my missing areas and most had Lake Berressa and Folsom but none of the 10 of so units I checked had the Rio Vista Bridge, at one point Allen Fong from Fishermans Warehouse in Sacramento told me that 10 of 12 units that he received at on time were flawed. Last month I was in West Marine on Hiway 50 and the HDS10 actually had Rio Vista bridge but lost all contours at about Vierras, it also lost contours on the Mokeloume around Hog slough or so, mine looses all contours at about Hiway12, I think I have Tower Park but I loose everything above Hiway12. I don't think I can stress enough to anyone that fishes those areas that I mentioned earlier do not buy a unit with Insight unless the dealer is willing to open the unit up and you actually check from Decker Island up to Miner Slough and from Tower Park up to Wimpys. If there are contours on the rivers at those locations you are ok. But I have checked every unit at every store that I have came across for 9 months now and none of them have all of those missing maps. If any one finds one in the Sacramento area please let me know. I want to go see it. By the way I was at the Guns and Fishing Stuff? store in Vacaville around Christmas and thier unit was one of the ones with missing maps.
Tight Lines ............ Rockezra

ReelJerks
06-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Not to beat a dead horse here but the fixes ( update chips) that Lowrance has tried on my unit have not been completely sucessful. I've emaled Lowrance reps back and forth at least 15 times, I had Scott Fordice, the Western United States Lowrance Rep personally handle my unit, with no luck. I bought the unit last September? Lowrance would not even aknowledge a problem to me until Jan - Feb? During the months around Christmas I checked every unit I came across at about 10 different locations in northern Calif and Cabelas in Boomtown and every one had the same issue around the Rio Vista bridge, some units had some of my missing areas and most had Lake Berressa and Folsom but none of the 10 of so units I checked had the Rio Vista Bridge, at one point Allen Fong from Fishermans Warehouse in Sacramento told me that 10 of 12 units that he received at on time were flawed. Last month I was in West Marine on Hiway 50 and the HDS10 actually had Rio Vista bridge but lost all contours at about Vierras, it also lost contours on the Mokeloume around Hog slough or so, mine looses all contours at about Hiway12, I think I have Tower Park but I loose everything above Hiway12. I don't think I can stress enough to anyone that fishes those areas that I mentioned earlier do not buy a unit with Insight unless the dealer is willing to open the unit up and you actually check from Decker Island up to Miner Slough and from Tower Park up to Wimpys. If there are contours on the rivers at those locations you are ok. But I have checked every unit at every store that I have came across for 9 months now and none of them have all of those missing maps. If any one finds one in the Sacramento area please let me know. I want to go see it. By the way I was at the Guns and Fishing Stuff? store in Vacaville around Christmas and thier unit was one of the ones with missing maps.
Tight Lines ............ Rockezra

What were you using before your HDS unit?

Rockezra
06-21-2010, 09:41 PM
I was in West Marine last week and they still have the HDS 10 that has a few more miles of contours than mine but they also have another 4 Insight units on display, I think they were an HDS 8, 2 HDS 7's and a HDS 5, they all are missing the same areas in the delta that I am missing. If you are in the market and are going to use it where I described it in my earlier post, please check out the exact unit you are purchasing before you lay down that $750 -$2500.00!
Tight lines! ......................... Rockezra

Fish_For_It
06-25-2010, 06:26 AM
I did as much research as I could on the HDS 7 or at least I thought I did. One thing I never thought to check was the lenght of the transducer cable. I have purchased several depth finders and have always had plenty of cable. The one that came for my HDS 7 is only 20' long, which may work for bass boats but is not long enough for my 25' Rock Harbor. I just posted a request for help to see if anyone knows if Lowrance makes a longer cable or if the extension cable they have will work and not lose any of the definition. Maybe Ken can help with the answer.

For what it is worth, I went with the base model HDS7 and added the Navionics chip. The guy at Bass Pro in Manteca put the Lowrance's upgrade and the Navionics side by side and the Navionics had much clearer detail for channel markings and depth contor.

ReelJerks
06-25-2010, 06:36 AM
The extension cables work just fine, I have used many in the past.
At the connection point cable/cable, I always wrap with self-amalgamating tape or silicone heat shrink. Only as a moisture preventative.

Edd

Fish_For_It
06-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Edd,
Thanks for the help. I found one a Bass Pro Shop in Manteca and will pick it up tomorrow.

Rockezra
06-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Fish_For_It!
Congrats! these are really nice units, I'm glad you checked the 2 options out side by side good move! Did you ever happen to check out the areas that I have been talking about on the Insight versions? Here is a screen shot of one of the areas that I'm talking about. Bottom left corner is most of Decker Island, top center is Rio Vista, the bold line running more or less north and south is Hiway 160 and the bold line accross the top right corner is Hiway 12, Right above the "A" in Rio Vista is the Rio Vista bridge. As you can see I have no contours, bouy markers and even the main channel of the Sacramento River above that point on Decker Island is not even Blue! The green area in the middle is Brannan Island State Park and the lower tip of the park should be on Three Mile Slough where thier launching ramp is located. So most of Three Mile Slough is missing also. More or less everything above that horizonal line across Decker Island and all the way across Hiway 12 past Tower Park and past Hiway 99 is dead. I still have yet to see ANY unit in ANY store since I got my unit last September that has all of these missing maps! and I have looked at many, maybe 40 units?

Fish_For_It
06-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Rockezra,
I have everthing apart right now waiting for the tansducer extension. Once I get everything powered back up I will look at my maps and let you know what I see.

Rockezra
06-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Fish_For_It!
If you bought the "base" model and not the "Insight" version you wont know what I'm talking about. It's only on Lowrances Insight maps that there is an issue. You will not want to use the Lowrance "Base" maps for anything! Actually what I have in my missing areas is this basemap! So if you turn on your unit without the Navionics chip and go to the Rio Vista bridge and other areas that I'm having issues with you are seeing what I am seeing with the exception of I paid what $200 or $300? more for the Insight version! The Navionics Hot Maps chip is very good you will enjoy it! Insight is very good also but it is still missing large blocks of maps in these areas! Enjoy!
Tight Lines! .......................... Rockezra

Rockezra
06-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Fish_For_It
One more thing, not sure if you know it or not but you can power it up at home and play with the unit in simulating mode for hours, its good practice.
Again, Tight Lines ..................... Rockezra

Fish_For_It
06-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Rockezra,
I have everything hooked up now. I had to put the extension on the transducer cable so hopefully I have the angle and all correct for a good reading. Once I pull the boat down off the driveway and into the street, I should be able to tell if I am straight or not. I put the Lowrance on "base mode" and, as you stated, it is basically blank above Rio Vista. I had asked about this issue prior to my purchase and was told that the problem was fixed. Navionics on the other hand gives me a clear picture of the bottom and channel markings. It looks like this will be a good investment for me. I am going to add a Ram Mount as the bracket that comes with the HDS 7 does not provide much adjustment. Hopefully all of this is going to work out for the best....

Polebrother
07-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Fish_For_It
One more thing, not sure if you know it or not but you can power it up at home and play with the unit in simulating mode for hours, its good practice.
Again, Tight Lines ..................... Rockezra

Still new to this game...how do I power up my HDS 7 at home? Thanks!

Dennis
07-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Still new to this game...how do I power up my HDS 7 at home? Thanks!

Here are two ways:

1) Leave the unit in the boat and power it up. With the sonar screen active or full screen hit menu and find and turn the sonar OFF. This will prevent damage to the transducer which needs to be in the water probably to keep it cool. You can then run the simulations.

2) Remove the unit from the boat, get a second power cable and a 12 volt power supply from Radio Shack. Connect the second power cable to the power supply and then to the HDS 7. Then you can run the simulations.

Hopefully one of these years Lowrance will put out a new PC simulator.

Here's a tip: Learn how to record your sonar soundings. Then later you can play them back and make adustments to see how they change what is presented on the screen.

Hope that helps...

Polebrother
07-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Here are two ways:

1) Leave the unit in the boat and power it up. With the sonar screen active or full screen hit menu and find and turn the sonar OFF. This will prevent damage to the transducer which needs to be in the water probably to keep it cool. You can then run the simulations.

2) Remove the unit from the boat, get a second power cable and a 12 volt power supply from Radio Shack. Connect the second power cable to the power supply and then to the HDS 7. Then you can run the simulations.

Hopefully one of these years Lowrance will put out a new PC simulator.

Here's a tip: Learn how to record your sonar soundings. Then later you can play them back and make adustments to see how they change what is presented on the screen.

Hope that helps...

Thanks Dennis! Very big help, for sure.

Full Monte
07-24-2010, 06:20 AM
Maybe I missed it in this super-long thread, but you have a choice of transducers with the HDS7. You can choose the dual 200mhz/50mhz or the 200mhz/83mhz transducer. Most guys fishing fresh water will choose the 83 over the 50. Saltwater guys will most often choose the 50 over the 83.

Rockezra
07-28-2010, 07:05 PM
I was at Bass Pro in Manteca earlier in the month and ALL six HDS Insite units that they had running are still missing some of the same areas that I am, although 3 of them have the maps up to the southern mouth of Steamboat Slough, and the other three are like mine and were missing everything above Hiway 12 and halfway across Decker Island. I think they are getting there! Maybe another year or two!
Tight lines! Rockezra .......... Blue/White CustomWeld 75 Optimax

Capn B
08-02-2010, 05:32 AM
I want to thank everyone on this thread for the good information and advice. I learned things that I had not even thought about. I just ordered an HDS 8 w base map, navionics West platinum card and a heavy duty RAM mount. This is a big purchase for me and I appreciate info from real fishermen like yourself, thanks.

Rockezra
08-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Capt B,
Did you order the Charts for the Ocean & coastal waters or the Hot Map version for the Lakes and inland waters? I think you will be very happy! The 8 is much bigger than the 7 and it has a better quality screen! Enjoy!
Rockezra...... Blue/White Custom Weld .... 75 Optimax .... Tight Lines!

Capn B
08-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Hey Rockezra, I went lakes and inland version. I plan on doing the install myself, so it may be posting a HELP next week! Thanks, Capn B

BodiBuilt
08-04-2010, 06:03 PM
I have a question reguarding multi-screen display...
I installed a HDS-7 last year, and I just recently finished installing LSS-1 StructureScan.
After doing some reading, I regret not having purchased the HDS-8 (or HDS-10) so that I may have been able to view a 4-way split screen on one head unit.

My question is:
If I install a second display (a second HDS-7 or maybe HDS-5), will I be able to view traditional 2-D sonar -and- DownScan on one display and L/R SideScan -and- GPS on the other display simultaneously?
(With 2 display's installed to LSS-1 can I choose any combination of what is displaid on each head unit?)

~OR~

Do I need to sell my car and a kidney so I can fund the purchase of a HDS-10 to view all 4 at once? :seestars:

Polebrother
08-20-2010, 09:39 AM
I've been out 5 or 6 times with my HDS 7 and just wanted to offer an update on its performance. I still love it! Have had no technical/mechanical problems with it, knock wood. The Navionics charting has been awesome--on the delta (trolling for stripers), Berryessa (trolling for kokanee) and Anderson (looking for but not finding crappie). Still have much to learn about the unit's capability but having fun tinkering on the water between bites.

Full Monte
09-02-2010, 05:36 AM
Just keep your eye on where your boat is headed! It's like driving a car with a cell phone.
Distracted boating.....good thing we troll slowly. I know because when I first installed my HDS7, I almost ran up on the rocks....:oldangryman:

Polebrother
09-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Just keep your eye on where your boat is headed! It's like driving a car with a cell phone.
Distracted boating.....good thing we troll slowly. I know because when I first installed my HDS7, I almost ran up on the rocks....:oldangryman:
Great advice! I've been surprised a couple of times already after looking up from my FF.