PDA

View Full Version : Kayak dift for Hallies at Berkeley pier

goingfishing
04-27-2008, 04:24 PM
When on the Berkeley Pier facing the golden Gate....doesthe outgoing tide flow south under the pier...or North Under the pier....the reason I am asking is I plan to try drifting for Hallies...and wish to find the ideal drift...Starting around the Pier Drifting Northward toward Richmond....I generally find that the best bites are around 2 hours before or after tide changes..So I was thinking about starting two hours before the top or bottom of tide...and finishing two hours on the other side of the tide..any Ideas?

hansolo
05-02-2008, 09:08 PM
I was there last Saturday & the water was flowing north to south. People casting over the north side were fishing on the bottom. People fishing on the south side were fishing w/ floats. I guess that's because you don't want to fish off the north side & have the bobber float under the pier 10 seconds after you drop your line.

However, the drift could probably change day to day, no?
I'm considering bringing out my tandem wooden kayak & drifting for halibut, too. Let me know how it goes. Good luck.

Camanche Zach
05-04-2008, 06:43 PM
when i used to jack smelt fish the outgo flowed from south to north.

goingfishing
05-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Excellent...thanks for the feedback...was out on the pier last Wed...and things are still very hot....Saw four Flatties and two Stripers landed within an hour......I used to fish the bay a lot with my Dad out in a 14 foot boat with3 5hp OB...never a problem...recently got a inflatable Kayak....white water capable....while have used in local reservoirs...wish to find a nice calm day try out in the bay...thanks for your feedback....am learning about how the tides and winds affect kayaking..particularly in an inflatable