PDA

View Full Version : abalone and HELP!!!

keelhaulinrob
04-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Okay so i went diving today good day kinda bad water, but still went in. Got my three and was happy. i have 2 questions the first question the less serious question is is shooting rock cod legal because i had my gun and saw a bunch of em that would of been a good size to get but didn't know. 2nd question the big burner with the new laws about abalone cards being in the water i had my pen zip lock zip ties and license in the zip lock bag. After i put my first abalone in the mesh bag where i keep my license and all i guess it had an air pocket and out it floated away i noticed it after my 1st ab. I then kept getting ab because i felt i paid for my licenses and rights to get abalone and because of the new dumb rule i lost all my licenses. So my question is how do i go about getting a new license/ab card??? any info would be great.

icaughtu
04-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Your suppose to have kept your receipt to show you paid for it.You can go to where you bought and get another one.As for the fish I think you should of got some I belive its legal.

abdiver12
04-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Wow that sucks. You're lucky you weren't checked or you might have gotten a huge ticket. Those guys have no mercy, even if its not your fault. Next time, maybe try zipping up the license with you in your wetsuit or buying a float tube cover with a side pocket. As for the license, you should have an "Application for Replacement" to go with it. Simply take it back to the store, pay a fee, and get a replacement. You'll have to pay the full amount to replace your report card and tags.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/sportfishingfaqs.html

ocean314
04-28-2008, 06:30 AM
This is the stupidest regulation the DFG has come up with to date. One HUGE problem the DFG never thought of is the guys who need reading glasses to write or read anything. Now we put our reading glasses in what?? and we just happen to have a dry rag or towel to wipe the off if they don't break.
Glad i am not a judge having to deal with this crap.

triggerfish
04-28-2008, 07:04 AM
You are suposed to photocopy your tags/report card. That is the proof that you perchaced your cards/tags. if you have your reciept.for your license that will help. Just call them and see what they say.

keelhaulinrob
04-28-2008, 08:15 AM
yea i got all the reciepts so pretty much i just got 3 free abalone because i will have a full tag. if i get a new one, but thank you all for the advice i guess i gotta go down to big 5.

triggerfish
04-28-2008, 09:31 PM
yea i got all the reciepts so pretty much i just got 3 free abalone because *i will have a full tag. *if i get a new one, but thank you all for the advice i guess i gotta go down to big 5. DAMN YOU should have waited until you had 23 abs! YOU blew it dude!!!! ;D ;D ;D

abdiver12
04-28-2008, 11:38 PM
i don't think dfg would let him get away with it. Diving without tags is playing with fire, no matter what your excuse. From the stories i've heard, those guys do not mess around.

sethonious
04-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Is it OK to cut the tags off after I have eaten the ab. I have been thinking about cleaning some of the shells, but it will be pretty tough to do with zip ties on them. I doubt it is an issue, but all of this year's shells still have tags on them. Anyone?

icaughtu
04-29-2008, 10:14 AM
ya im wondering that too ?I still have my tags on my shells, it should be ok to take out after you have ate the abalone right ?

abdiver12
04-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Great question. *I just talked to DFG and they told me that you can cut off the tags just before you consume/prepare the ab. *If you're freezing them though you have to keep the tag on until you decide to cook it. I verified this with two different offices.

keelhaulinrob
04-29-2008, 03:11 PM
yea and plus if you cut off the tags you could just say you got them last year i have like 100 ab shells on the side of my house they cant give me a ticket for them it would be wrong. I even heard they could get search warants and search your freezer and if you have more than 3 per person in your house you get written up which is also B.S. because sometimes i freeze it and have a big ab feed and invite everyone over. Also we should be able to get how ever many we want at a time as long as we dont go over 24, the only down side to that is i guess you could wipe out a cove.

morduks
04-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Yes, the new regs suck. *Regarding license in possession and claim by DFG that you must IMMEDIATELY on landing abs (on shore or in boat) complete the tag and attache it, if you look at the DFG video supposedly showing divers in compliance you will note the the two guys exit the ocean with tubes then walk several yards to then sit down and goof around with tags. *I don't seen any difference in possessing a license and tag in that instance which DFG says is lawful and simply keeping it on shore with your pack, towell etc and filling out tag when you walk to your gear. *I am not talking about leaving license and tag at your vehicle. *I mean on shore but not in your tube (unless it floated away!) in your suit or stuffed in bootie like one guy I watched tried.

I am also vision impaired and use a mask with lenses to prove but I'll be darned if I can read the small print and write anything without my bifocals on. *Am I going to get cited for walking to my bucket and putting on my glasses to fill out the rediculously small tags? *I don't think so. *BTW, I read that you must throw away the used tag after processing ab for consumption and that possession of used tag itself was illegal, huh? what is that all about?

Anyway, rant is over. *Here is a photo of abs from 2 abs I took opening Saturday up at Ft. Ross. *9.25 and 9.3.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e171/morduks/DSC02202-1.jpg

Tom B.

abdiver12
04-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Nice abs. Good to see that Ft. Ross still has some large ones. I agree, the new regs are completely bogus and its almost as if DFG are looking for every possible way to cite people and write them tickets. Having us take our licenses out diving with us is absolutely moronic. Oh well, I guess we shouldn't complain too much, having the ability to dive for large abs is a privilege not many people in the world enjoy.

keelhaulinrob
05-01-2008, 11:03 AM
very true we are very furtunate that we get to dive for those snails. Its just a bummer that i was doing the right thing by bringing my license out with me and i lose it and now i have to go out of my way and pay more for the licenses i had just bought. And i cant find anyplace that has a duplicate license. And yea awesome dive out of fortross, i love that place dont get ab's like that but its always a nice relaxing dive.

morduks
05-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Couldn't agree more - our big abs are a privilege and I support reasonable regulations especially if the goal is to prevent poaching and ensure that harvestable numbers survive for the future. The problem is that the more and sillier the regulations are the less likely it is that new people will pick up the sport or that older more experienced divers will continue in it. A ticket with big fine on top of the reduced limits is just the thing to convince people they just don't need the grief or it's not worth the hassle. It's the vocal passionately interested sport divers that the DFG needs to help them now and in the future and I think the new regs will act to push people away. My .2 cents.